* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:19 pm 

BURlAL wrote:
DeathcoreDecimator wrote:

Nope, never really cared for Celtic Frost aside from Monotheist.

Listen to Morbid Tales and To Mega Therion, both are great.

Tom doesn't seem to be able to keep an idea/theme going for more than 2 albums....MT and TMT were great but then Into the Pandemonium got weird....and now Monotheist/ED were great but with Melana Chasmata Tom once again seems to be running out of ideas.

Emperor's Return, too!

I'm diggin' the simplistic, repetitive riffing of Triptykon. Somehow they make it work to great effect. It's a solid reprieve from the brutal death a regularly listen to and a nostalgic feeling back to my metal roots of Celtic Frost.

beyondtheblack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:04 pm 

It's the third time I come across a post like this recently:
"Talk in Zürich is, that Tom is putting Celtic Frost back together and Martin Ain has been contacted for the reunion."

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:52 am 

beyondtheblack wrote:
It's the third time I come across a post like this recently:
"Talk in Zürich is, that Tom is putting Celtic Frost back together and Martin Ain has been contacted for the reunion."

Pfft.. I call three times bullshit on that.

beyondtheblack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:27 am 

I wouldn't know...

2008. TOM FISCHER: 'There Will Be No Further Reunions Of CELTIC FROST, At Least Not Involving Me'
Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/tom-fi ... P2wxFXw.99
2014. "Celtic Frost were my life and I owe it all to them, but I am aware of the unsustainability of the thing. In the future? Maybe. Not now anyway." http://www.metallus.it/interviste/tript ... l-fischer/

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:28 am 

I think this album's pretty awesome, but it's (so far) my least favourite out of the three most recent Warrior albums (Monotheist, Eparistera Daimones and this) so I can't help but be a little bit disappointed. It doesn't have that overly misanthropic/oppressive feel to it that the other two have. My number one complaint though, is with that song 'In the Sleep of Death'. I've really tried to overlook it, but I just can't stand the vocals. I've never been a fan of songs that mention someone by name, and by the end of it I was so goddamn sick of hearing Tom moaning about some chick named Emily that it almost made me stop the album right then and there.

Aside from that, there isn't much to fault. The first six songs are absolutely stellar, and while Black Snow drags a bit it's solid as well, as is the closer. I don't think it will have the staying power for me that Monotheist and Eparistera Daimones have, however.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:25 am 

Gypaetus wrote:
I think this album's pretty awesome, but it's (so far) my least favourite out of the three most recent Warrior albums (Monotheist, Eparistera Daimones and this) so I can't help but be a little bit disappointed. It doesn't have that overly misanthropic/oppressive feel to it that the other two have. My number one complaint though, is with that song 'In the Sleep of Death'. I've really tried to overlook it, but I just can't stand the vocals. I've never been a fan of songs that mention someone by name, and by the end of it I was so goddamn sick of hearing Tom moaning about some chick named Emily that it almost made me stop the album right then and there.

Aside from that, there isn't much to fault. The first six songs are absolutely stellar, and while Black Snow drags a bit it's solid as well, as is the closer. I don't think it will have the staying power for me that Monotheist and Eparistera Daimones have, however.

I have only checked a few minutes of the album, just checking each song and my impression is similar. Its going to be a great album, BUT I dont know if it can be as good as Epaistera Daimones, anyway Monotheist will continue to be the number 1 for me. I am just a fanboy of the slowest songs with female vocals and my impression is that the new album has only two of them.

The last song is magic but I still consider My pain better, which is only behind the magnificent Drown in Ashes.

Very early impressions taking into account that I have yet to listen to the full album, but...

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:45 am 

beyondtheblack wrote:
I wouldn't know...

2008. TOM FISCHER: 'There Will Be No Further Reunions Of CELTIC FROST, At Least Not Involving Me'
Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/tom-fi ... P2wxFXw.99
2014. "Celtic Frost were my life and I owe it all to them, but I am aware of the unsustainability of the thing. In the future? Maybe. Not now anyway." http://www.metallus.it/interviste/tript ... l-fischer/

2014. "Playing and composing with Martin Eric Ain? That will never happen."

beyondtheblack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:46 am 

After watching that totally surreal documentary on Celtic Frost, nothing seems unlikely.

BURlAL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:19 pm 

I would like to see Martin used as a studio musician but nothing more. The two do create good things together. It seems to me that they have a very bad personal relationship though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:58 pm 

People who don't like To Mega Therion are insane. That album is king among metal albums!

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:36 am 

beyondtheblack wrote:
After watching that totally surreal documentary on Celtic Frost, nothing seems unlikely.

Can you tell me the title of this documentary? thanks!

beyondtheblack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:46 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HN8kGB4urg

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:33 am 

beyondtheblack wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HN8kGB4urg

Thank you! :thumbsup:

beyondtheblack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:54 am 

Happy watching... don't miss the episode about Martin's girlfriend. :o :wink:

prisonerofourtime
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:34 pm 

'Melana Chasmata' is awesome, I heard yesterday in the night.

beyondtheblack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:03 pm 

It seems to me there's some global conspiracy running a competition who'd come up with the biggest air-balloon of a phrase. "Transcendent", "enormous tower", "imperious record", "hulking monolith of an album", "Melana Chasmata is similar to a classical piece, because the instrumentation is so powerful and impactful"... (Whilst I've scraped every empathic sentiment out of me to give it 5/10. Objectively, this record is bad beyond reason, I heard yesterday in the night.)

Someone should gather all these and analyze psycho-linguistically, starting perhaps with a count of the word "crushing".

"The music bounces back and forth between subjecting you to a blood eagle procedure and then injecting you with valium after your chest has been sewn up"
"Norman Lonhard’s drums take over and smack you straight across the head."
"The sinister riffs, trudging pace, tom-heavy drumming, and nasty snarl spit through clenched teeth are as palpably gut-twisting as ever."
etc.

druivo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:30 pm 

I have been listening to the album 2 or 3 times a day for the past week, and i can say that i like it even better than Eparistera. Big contender for album of the year so far, IMHO.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:39 am 

So I found and bought this album at a music store in Leiden. Quite surprised to see it there, but oh well.

First listen is quite underwhelming I must say, the opener and "Breathing" are obviously awesome. Some of the other songs are pretty interesting but can't help feeling the majority just drags along until the very, very obnoxious "Waiting"...

Certainly not anything close to Eparistera Daimones yet, maybe it'll grow on me though...

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:56 am 

It was pretty enjoyable, lots of meaty beanie riffs and solid spiteful vocals and nice production as normal, but there were really no "Holy Shit" moments, which was a shame. Basically the only time I went "Hey!" was more because they ripped of the "In Darkness, thou shall worship me!" chug from Synagoga Satanae. Also the end of "Black Snow" made me think of the Catacombs' side project/replacement Origin of Darkness, which was cool. Basically it's a solid album which sounds fine, but doesn't blow me away at any stage rendering it lesser than Monotheist and even the lacking ED.

beyondtheblack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:18 am 

Quote:
the opener and "Breathing" are obviously awesome

Not at all obvious.
Quotes from other forums:

"Just had a first listen of the new 7" last night and it's a strange one. The A-side 'Breathing' is awful. It's part Thrash, part jugga and wholly without any kind of flow or atmosphere. It's very fast for the most part, with lots of riffs and tempo changes, but doesn't work at all for me. The very crisp production doesn't suit the track either."

"Didn't get too excited for this and rightly so, 1st track has the same riff/vocal thing going exactly like the 1st track on the last album. underwhelming from there from the few tracks I've heard."

"Yeah, first track follows the same trajectory of the first track on the last album. After one listen it sounded very boring to these ears."

"Tried giving this album a listen... on the contrary to some, I really liked the opening track (which at least has a bit of energy and conviction in comparison to what follows) but it's straight downhill from that point on. So predictable and boring. 'Breathing' was rightly singled out earlier in the thread as being complete rubbish, and the track after that isn't much better - had to turn it off by that stage."

And this last ones adds to the suggestion made by lord_ghengis - every part of this album refers to something familiar, be it from Fischer's own history or that of other bands. It's a glued-together collection of quotations.

"Breathing"... is like Sodom . And while Ron Royce always sounded as if he wanted to be Tom G., Tom G. sounds here as he wanted to be a mixture of Angelripper and Ron Royce. And the groovy passages in the middle are pure Coroner. I hope the other tracks are less generic."

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:27 am 

beyondtheblack wrote:
generic

:ugh: I don't know who said this. But this really is the last thing i'd describe a Triptykon song/album with... You might not like them, they might not be your style, the tracks might be boring to you, but they're not even close to generic...

beyondtheblack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:35 am 

In my opinion, this is precisely the word to best describe the second effort by Triptykon; and not the first. The second is generic in 1) that it aims to repeat the first, and due to the lack of genuine inspiration, it 2) resorts to the mentioned walk throughout the history of metal (and goth-rock).
Another thing that strikes me is that it's not even remotely as "dark and heavy" as proclaimed. ED was such, while this one is light, friendly and mostly lyrical.

P.S. Another interesting one:
"The album is careless compositionally, failing to evoke the necessary atmosphere. Take for example the two openers : the old "Goetia" took more than two minutes to "start seriously" - a time absolutely necessary for the purpose of the song - and the new "Tree of Suffocating Souls" rushes in without a hint of preparation."

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:58 am 

beyondtheblack wrote:
The opening song to Melana Chasmata makes a similar (if not the same) promise, referring verbatim to Goetia.

Boleskine House rings along the notes of 2010's Shatter.

In a similar pattern, the next one - Altar of Deceit - resembles ED's Abyss Within My Soul

The sound is nothing new, translating to nostalgia for the "goth" 80s. Some of these artists have moved on brilliantly... and a brilliant song such as Gary Numan's relatively-new Jagged rings too clear through Melana Chasmata's Demon Pact.

The outro Waiting extends the slumbering comfort, in the vein of My Pain ("fall asleep in my arms, never to wake up again").

Quote:
Guest • 19 days ago
Tree of Suffocating Souls = Goetia

Boleskine House = Shatter

Altar of Deceit = Abyss Within My Soul

Breathing = A Thousand Lies

Waiting = My Pain

Demon Pact is nicked from Gary Numan

Santura's more original input seems to be missing.

The second excerpt is from the comment section of Metalsucks review. So, @beyondtheblack just out of curiosity, are you THAT frustrated girl?
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Last edited by doomster999 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:59 pm 

beyondtheblack wrote:

P.S. Another interesting one:
"The album is careless compositionally, failing to evoke the necessary atmosphere. Take for example the two openers : the old "Goetia" took more than two minutes to "start seriously" - a time absolutely necessary for the purpose of the song - and the new "Tree of Suffocating Souls" rushes in without a hint of preparation."

Man you're clutching t straws finding people to agree with you here, "There's no intro!!!" Seriously?

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:46 pm 

LeMiserable wrote:
beyondtheblack wrote:
generic

:ugh: I don't know who said this. But this really is the last thing i'd describe a Triptykon song/album with... You might not like them, they might not be your style, the tracks might be boring to you, but they're not even close to generic...

As a band, Triptykon is still very unique. But relatively speaking, this is probably the most generic thing Tom has ever done. He (for the first time in his life haha) has pretty much found a style that he's consistently used on more than one album in a row.

That being said, there are some killer moments as usual, and I think it's not bad, but some of the tracks just really aren't worth listening to more than a few times.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:30 am 

beyondtheblack wrote:
and the new "Tree of Suffocating Souls" rushes in without a hint of preparation."

So did "Progeny" on Monotheist? Your point?

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:44 am 

Did anybody check my spoiler yet? beyondtheblack is the chick who is notorious in multiple metal forums for her vendetta against Tom G Warrior.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Last edited by doomster999 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
PerunGromowlad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:06 am 

doomster999 wrote:
Did anybody check my spoiler yet? beyondtheblack is the chick who is notorious in multiple metal forums for her vendetta against Tom G Warrior.

Holy shit, that's pathetic (if it's true).

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:24 am 

Please remove that persons name from your posts guys.

EDIT: Thank you doomster999 and PerunGromowlad for editing your posts.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:17 pm 

As a loyal and true follower of the great Beanie I have of course not listened to any leaks and am beyond thrilled that today (14th Apr) is the official release date for Melana Chasmata in Europe.

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:25 pm 

I saw it in FYE today and was like "WHOA THE NEW TRIPTYKON" and bought it.

I didn't even have to read post-leak comments about the album to know that I was in for a crushing album filled with crushing riffs and vocals. My prediction was correct, this album pwns with great force.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:57 am 

Got the CD yesterday. It sounds exactly like I thought it would. All is well.

eerie_noctular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:52 am 

Goatfangs wrote:
I didn't even have to read post-leak comments about the album to know that I was in for a crushing album filled with crushing riffs and vocals. My prediction was correct, this album pwns with great force.

Zerberus wrote:
Got the CD yesterday. It sounds exactly like I thought it would. All is well.

I agree 100%. It's great and I look forward to multiple listens on dark and stormy nights....or when I'm driving to work and back.
http://linktr.ee/TwistedSkiesWX/

"There are times when one would like to hang the whole human race and finish the farce." - Samuel Langhorne Clemens

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:38 am 

I went to my local metal record shop to pick it up and the 3 copies he had had were gone by the time I got there. I said fuck it, let carry my ass to the mall to FYE. I never go there; FYE or the Mall. FYE is overpriced, the staff are missing chromosones and they just don't give two fucks about metal.
So I am looking at the metal new release section and nothing. Releases in there are months old. Triptykon slot is empty too. After the employee gets done performing fellatio on some dirt bag hip hop buying customer, he asks me if I needed help as I already started walking out. Knowing I should have said no, I asked him if they had the new Triptykon, "It's one of todays new releases". I get the blank deer in headlights look. "NAW, but if you write it down we can order it for you". Motherfucker I can order it myself. No wonder corporate record stores are failing. End Rant.

On a happy note no one picked up the one copy of Impetuous Ritual my local store had, so I did. :evil:

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:51 am 

Most generic beanie era album yet? I have to disagree, there are a lot more shifts on the new album than the 2 preceding ones and i like it more than the debut. It is not as good as Monotheist though.
Also i saw Triptykon last sunday. They crushed, they slayed and they conquered. Much better than the last time i caught them which was their first official show 4 years ago. The only downside was that they didn't play any Monotheist material live.

Paninaro
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:43 pm 

Gypaetus wrote:
My number one complaint though, is with that song 'In the Sleep of Death'. I've really tried to overlook it, but I just can't stand the vocals. I've never been a fan of songs that mention someone by name, and by the end of it I was so goddamn sick of hearing Tom moaning about some chick named Emily that it almost made me stop the album right then and there.

The Emily he's singing about is Emily Brontë. I don't know if that makes it less annoying.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:59 pm 

Paninaro wrote:
Gypaetus wrote:
My number one complaint though, is with that song 'In the Sleep of Death'. I've really tried to overlook it, but I just can't stand the vocals. I've never been a fan of songs that mention someone by name, and by the end of it I was so goddamn sick of hearing Tom moaning about some chick named Emily that it almost made me stop the album right then and there.

The Emily he's singing about is Emily Brontë. I don't know if that makes it less annoying.

I'm not sure if it makes it less annoying either, but it is interesting nonetheless. Thanks for the heads up!

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:11 pm 

BURlAL wrote:
I would like to see Martin used as a studio musician but nothing more. The two do create good things together. It seems to me that they have a very bad personal relationship though.

I don't think that the personal relationship is particularly "bad". I believe it has more to do with Tom's opinion about Martin's dedication (or lack there of) to CF and his refusal to step up when the relationship between Tom & the last drummer soured. I actually don't really understand why Tom simply didn't fire that guy and continue CF with a new drummer but I'm sure there were reasons. Tom and Martin made a good creative team, IMO. Still, talk of a CF reunion right when Triptykon is releasing a new (and largely well-received) new album is silly and probably very insulting to Tom.

beyondtheblack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:33 pm 

Quote:
beyondtheblack is the chick

I'm not a "chick", I'm a music blogger who doesn't appreciate sexist language. As I'm sure doesn't this forum.

This is the most adequate review I have yet read about this album. http://www.insidethecoffin.com/ReviewTR ... ACHASMATA/
From the author who also produced this very interesting article: http://www.lordsofmetal.nl/en/specials/view/id/476, about which Fischer seems to still be going on in his recent post on his very own forum.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:05 pm 

beyondtheblack wrote:
Quote:
beyondtheblack is the chick

I'm not a "chick", I'm a music blogger who doesn't appreciate sexist language. As I'm sure doesn't this forum.

ITT: "chick" is a sexist term, and grammar becomes less important when you're raging against Tom G. Warrior for no reason.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next