Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:17 am 

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Hellhammer's music doesn't suck. The kind of people who say that will probably be the same people who don't allow Scream Bloody Gore its rightful throne as Death's best album (by a long distance).

In other words the kind of people that don't agree with you? I can see why people would enjoy Hellhammer but I'm not personally attracted musically by that kind of sloppy, raw, early metal production and songwriting style most of the time. Nonetheless I do quite dig To Mega Therion as the more developed extension of that...

I wonder what the song length is gonna be like on this one. I liked the epic approach the last two albums had but it would be nice to have a song or two more in the Drown in Ashes or Shatter vein. Y'know a little bit more concise and to the point. Maybe another trip hop type tune like My Pain?

Cynical_Misanthropy
Sect of Sorrow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:37 am 

Metallic Shock wrote:
Maybe another trip hop type tune like My Pain?

BRING BACK HIP HOP JUGEND!!!!

In all seriousness though, I agree with what you're saying about more concise songs. Some of Eparistera Daimones was just TOO goddamn repetitive for me, did "The Prolonging" really need to be 19 minutes long? I believe many of the songs on that album could have been trimmed down and still been just as effective. But a song like "Synagoga Satanae" keeps me entertained for the full 14 minutes. Why? Because, although it repeats itself at times, it's constantly moving forward. With "The Prolonging" and some of the others on the debut it just feels like they're wandering in circles.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:40 am 

Hellhammer's music doesn't suck. The kind of people who say that will probably be the same people who don't allow Scream Bloody Gore its rightful throne as Death's best album (by a long distance).

YESSSS

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:09 am 

Cynical_Misanthropy wrote:
Metallic Shock wrote:
Maybe another trip hop type tune like My Pain?

BRING BACK HIP HOP JUGEND!!!!

In all seriousness though, I agree with what you're saying about more concise songs. Some of Eparistera Daimones was just TOO goddamn repetitive for me, did "The Prolonging" really need to be 19 minutes long? I believe many of the songs on that album could have been trimmed down and still been just as effective. But a song like "Synagoga Satanae" keeps me entertained for the full 14 minutes. Why? Because, although it repeats itself at times, it's constantly moving forward. With "The Prolonging" and some of the others on the debut it just feels like they're wandering in circles.

True, "The prolonging" sounds quite repetitive for me, the long songs in Monotheist work better.

And I would like to listen to something similar to "My Pain", what a beautiful songs with an awesome lyric.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:25 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Honestly my opinion on the debut went from "yessssssss a band that just does the Monotheist thing forever and ever" to "zzzzzzzzzzzzz." Sort of like my opinion on Monotheist itself, but to a greater extent. The production is of course phenomenal, and that guitar tone is to fucking die for, and there's some pretty amazing atmosphere, but where the fuck are the RIFFS? For some reason I'm still holding onto hope that this will be a more focused record than Tom's last two, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

My thoughts exactly. The music itself isn't all that bad on some of the recent stuff Tom came up with. ''A Dying God Coming Into Human Flesh'' and ''Goetia'' are such creepy fuckers for example...but yeah, please do more with your guitars than just chugging and relying on low end chords.

And Hellhammer rules. In fact I'd say that Satanic Rites is the best thing Tom ever came up with. Early Celtic Frost is pretty good as well though. To Mega Therion is another great piece of art: ritualistic and atmospheric with catchy effective riffs.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:43 pm 

Chillax, you wackos! :-P Hellhammer IS Hellhammer. Nobody's going to take their throne away. To each his own. Personally, I think every band needs to evolve or it just becomes meaningless to make music once stagnancy starts to crawl in. Oh, since we're talking about Warrior's best work it's easily Monotheist. That's just one hell of a brooding masterpiece. It has all the traits of Hellhammer's insanity with maturity and intricacy.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:57 am 

Instead of making a new thread I thought I'd bump this one. Some new details have been released!

Quote:
Triptykon Announce Melana Chasmata Details

Triptykon's second album, Melana Chasmata (rough translation: "black, deep depressions/valleys") will be released on April 14 (Europe) and April 15 (North America), 2014, through Century Media Records/Prowling Death Records Ltd.

Like its predecessor, Eparistera Daimones, the album was produced by Triptykon's singer/guitarist Tom Gabriel Warrior and guitarist V. Santura and recorded and mixed at V. Santura's own Woodshed Studio in southern Germany as well as at Triptykon's rehearsal facilities in Zurich, Switzerland, in 2013 and 2014. Those who have already heard Melana Chasmata have described it as "atmospheric, dark, diabolical, and dramatic", "diverse, epic, and doomy, but on an entirely different level", "a fierce boulder of abhorrence", or "very heavy and yet very aesthetic at the same time".

Melana Chasmata will feature the following nine songs, at a playing time of around 67 minutes:

1. Tree Of Suffocating Souls
2. Boleskine House
3. Altar Of Deceit
4. Breathing
5. Aurorae
6. Demon Pact
7. In The Sleep Of Death
8. Black Snow
9. Waiting

Further new Triptykon music has been recorded, to be released as a future EP or mini album.

I was a bit cautious about this album, but the cover art is fantastic, and the fact it's Triptykon... screw it, I'm hyped :hyper: It's instantly shot up to one of my most anticipated releases of the year.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:02 am 

it's reassuring to hear that the production process will be very similar to the last album, 'cause it had great sounds - definitely an album i'm expecting to be a contender for the best of the year

syx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:25 am 

I can't wait for this, 'Eparistera Daimones' was an amazing album, so I am hoping for something in a similar vain. I was unaware of Triptyknon's music (I had heard of them but not checked them out) until March 2012 when they supported Cannibal Corpse, they were the band of the night by far and really impressed me. V Santura is one of my favourite guitarists (I love Dark Fortress) so I am hoping he has contributed a fair bit to this release!

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:26 am 

joppek wrote:
it's reassuring to hear that the production process will be very similar to the last album, 'cause it had great sounds - definitely an album i'm expecting to be a contender for the best of the year

Definitely. The guitar tone in particular was a monster on Eparistera Daimones (perhaps beaten only by Celtic Frost's Monotheist). I'm glad to see they're going with another H.R. Giger piece for the album cover as well.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:38 am 

Yeah, given Tom's long standing association with Giger, it was expected. Pretty cool and stoked for the new album!

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:12 pm 

Giger's artwork just feels right for Warrior's music. I'm glad to see that they'll continue using it, although I do prefer the piece that was used for the debut.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:10 pm 

Cynical_Misanthropy wrote:
did "The Prolonging" really need to be 19 minutes long?

Yes. I couldn't imagine it otherwise. The song progressing feels unnatural otherwise.

Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

ld50
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:58 pm 

Gypaetus wrote:
Instead of making a new thread I thought I'd bump this one. Some new details have been released!

Quote:

Triptykon's second album, Melana Chasmata (rough translation: "black, deep depressions/valleys") will be released on April 14 (Europe) and April 15 (North America), 2014, through Century Media Records/Prowling Death Records Ltd.

Like its predecessor, Eparistera Daimones, the album was produced by Triptykon's singer/guitarist Tom Gabriel Warrior and guitarist V. Santura and recorded and mixed at V. Santura's own Woodshed Studio in southern Germany as well as at Triptykon's rehearsal facilities in Zurich, Switzerland, in 2013 and 2014. Those who have already heard Melana Chasmata have described it as "atmospheric, dark, diabolical, and dramatic", "diverse, epic, and doomy, but on an entirely different level", "a fierce boulder of abhorrence", or "very heavy and yet very aesthetic at the same time".

Melana Chasmata will feature the following nine songs, at a playing time of around 67 minutes:

2. Boleskine House
3. Altar Of Deceit
4. Breathing
5. Aurorae
6. Demon Pact
7. In The Sleep Of Death
8. Black Snow
9. Waiting

Further new Triptykon music has been recorded, to be released as a future EP or mini album.

I was a bit cautious about this album, but the cover art is fantastic, and the fact it's Triptykon... screw it, I'm hyped :hyper: It's instantly shot up to one of my most anticipated releases of the year.

Of course, why would you create another thread? Thanks for the post. Great looking cover, indeed. How can one beat a Giger cover like that? Giger approached them, to boot! Very cool and I like how they didn't shit all over the artwork with a tasteless band logo that isn't even close to being integrated, like often happens.

Quote:
"Melana Chasmata" will be further distinguished by featuring, for the second time for Triptykon, the extraordinary art of legendary Swiss surrealist HR Giger. Following "Eparistera Daimones", the group began to make arrangements for an entirely different cover for the second album. Completely unexpectedly, HR Giger approached Tom Gabriel Warrior in October of 2011 to express his appreciation of how Triptykon had used his art on the first album and to propose a continuation of the artistic collaboration. This development thus marks the first time any musical artist has worked with HR Giger on three albums (Celtic Frost's "To Mega Therion", and Triptykon's "Eparistera Daimones" and "Melana Chasmata"), and it commemorates a collaboration that has now lasted for 30 years.

https://www.facebook.com/triptykonofficial

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:50 pm 

Man, this is all just such good news. Eparistera Daimones was basically Monotheist pt. 2 in my book, so there's no reason to expect that this new one will be anything short of great. I've always loved Giger's artwork, too.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:25 pm 

Why not quote the full press release?

Quote:

Triptykon's second album, "Melana Chasmata" (rough translation: "black, deep depressions/valleys") will be released on April 14 (Europe) and April 15 (North America), 2014, through Century Media Records/Prowling Death Records Ltd.

Like its predecessor "Eparistera Daimones", the album was produced by Triptykon's singer/guitarist Tom Gabriel Warrior and guitarist V. Santura and recorded and mixed at V. Santura's own Woodshed Studio in southern Germany as well as at Triptykon's rehearsal facilities in Zurich, Switzerland, in 2013 and 2014. Those who have already heard "Melana Chasmata" have described it as "atmospheric, dark, diabolical, and dramatic", "diverse, epic, and doomy, but on an entirely different level", "a fierce boulder of abhorrence", or "very heavy and yet very aesthetic at the same time".

"Melana Chasmata" will feature the following nine songs, at a playing time of around 67 minutes:

2. Boleskine House
3. Altar Of Deceit
4. Breathing
5. Aurorae
6. Demon Pact
7. In The Sleep Of Death
8. Black Snow
9. Waiting

Further new Triptykon music has been recorded, to be released as an EP or mini album later in 2014 or early in 2015.

Among other formats, the album will be released as a 32-page mediabook (with lyrics and liner notes to every song, and with a special fold out poster), as a gatefold vinyl double album (with posters and large-format booklet), and for digital download. Additionally, Century Media is scheduled to issue a special box set, limited to 2000 copies. The box set will include the album, a Triptykon silver pendant, a poster, postcards, a Triptykon tote bag, and a cap.

To commemorate the unveiling of "Melana Chasmata", Century Media will release a collector's gatefold 7" vinyl single, featuring the songs "Breathing" and "Boleskine House". The single will be available on March 17, 2014, and be limited to a pressing 1000 (of which 200 will be in red vinyl). "Breathing" and "Boleskine House" will also be available as a digital single (including the option for a digital booklet), and they will be streamed on YouTube and Soundcloud.

"Melana Chasmata" will be further distinguished by featuring, for the second time for Triptykon, the extraordinary art of legendary Swiss surrealist HR Giger. Following "Eparistera Daimones", the group began to make arrangements for an entirely different cover for the second album. Completely unexpectedly, HR Giger approached Tom Gabriel Warrior in October of 2011 to express his appreciation of how Triptykon had used his art on the first album and to propose a continuation of the artistic collaboration. This development thus marks the first time any musical artist has worked with HR Giger on three albums (Celtic Frost's "To Mega Therion", and Triptykon's "Eparistera Daimones" and "Melana Chasmata"), and it commemorates a collaboration that has now lasted for 30 years.

"Melana Chasmata" features Giger's dramatically mysterious "Mordor VII" (work no. 283, 100 x 70 cm, acrylic on wood, 1975) as a front cover and Giger's "Landschaft XVI" ["Landscape XVI"] (work no. 209, 100 x 70 cm, acrylic on paper on wood, 1972) as gatefold art.

After a lengthy hiatus, Triptykon will return to the stage this year to promote "Melana Chasmata". Among the concerts so far scheduled are appearances at the celebrated Roadburn Festival, at Rock Hard Festival, and, pending the issuance of the proper visas by US authorities, Triptykon's return to the United States for an exclusive appearance at Maryland Death Fest. For further information on live dates, please refer to Triptykon's presence on the web.

Triptykon consists of V. Santura (guitar, vocals), Norman Lonhard (drums, percussion), Vanja Slajh (bass, vocals), and Tom Gabriel Warrior (voice, guitars).
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:44 am 

If I'd known people would be that interested in the full press release I would have :P But I figured the post was long enough with the most relevant info and the album cover and all that.

Last edited by Gypaetus on Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:48 am 

ENKC wrote:
Why not quote the full press release?

Because it's more pretentious Warrior claptrap? :-D Srsly, yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to this one, usually a fan of Tom's stuff (at least his good stuff; when the dude works out, he works out well).

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:28 am 

The release of the new album makes me sad that I never got Eparistera on vinyl... And I don't have €100 lying around to buy one

ols
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:42 am 

If he seems pretentious, I think he can be forgiven because of his utter love of the music. He seems like a pissed off, melancholic dude, but after watching the "a dying god" documentary, its because this dude wants to do nothing but play his music 24/7, 365. And that's not something everyone in CF was prepared to do. That's not to say he isn't dickish. But then, so many in the metal community are, and many are multitudes worse, without the musical quality output to back it up. I dunno.

*shrug*

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:14 am 

That cover is awesome! Looking forward to the album. Also anyone else noticed Unchristian Anthem seems to have disappeared or at least changed name?

PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:59 am 

Quote:
Also anyone else noticed Unchristian Anthem seems to have disappeared or at least changed name?

I'm guessing it either changed name or it's one of the "additional recordings" mentioned in the press release. Hopefully the EP/minialbum the press release mentions has less lazy cover art than Shatter did - it's in stark contrast to the incredible Giger covers of the full-lengths.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:20 am 

I'm hoping that this collaboration between Giger and Triptykon for the album artwork becomes a 'thing' for every release.

BURlAL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:58 pm 

Gypaetus wrote:
I'm hoping that this collaboration between Giger and Triptykon for the album artwork becomes a 'thing' for every release.

I wish they would use 'new' art though....especially created for Triptykon and related to the album in question.

Wonder which of those new songs/titles use to be Unchristian Anthem? Ah, I see its already been asked.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:58 pm 

BURlAL wrote:
I wish they would use 'new' art though....especially created for Triptykon and related to the album in question.

Just out of curiosity, why?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:51 pm 

His blog is a damn interesting read, if anyone else wants to bother to go through it. Lots of interesting history of the band, etc.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

BURlAL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:11 pm 

Razakel wrote:
BURlAL wrote:

Just out of curiosity, why?

I dunno....just would be more interesting I guess. Theres nothing wrong with Gigers old works, but I would just like to see what he could come up with being inspired by the music. Id like to see what Giger could create after listening to Toms music.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:57 pm 

Tom has stated that Giger has always been an inspiration to him in the sense he has always tried to deliver the same kind of beautiful yet horrific atmosphere that the paintings display. For Warrior is the highest honor that Giger offered one of his paintings for the next Tripykon album. I would feel the same.

If Tom's words are to be believed, for him to ask Giger a painting is too much. He feels very small compared to Giger's figure, even if he works with him in his museum and stuff.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:33 pm 

I think Giger's art and Triptykon have a similar vibe, although I never see (hear) the erotic/sexual elements in the music of Tom Warrior, at least not as explicit as Giger's not-so-subtle use of them. See the previous album for that. This cover actually looks like the Space Jockey.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:06 am 

H.R. Giger and Celtic Frost/Triptykon go a LONG way back.

It's no surprise to see another Giger gracing a Triptykon album.

This is absolutely on the top of my list for the year.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

BURlAL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:15 am 

raumr wrote:
I think Giger's art and Triptykon have a similar vibe, although I never see (hear) the erotic/sexual elements in the music of Tom Warrior, at least not as explicit as Giger's not-so-subtle use of them. See the previous album for that. This cover actually looks like the Space Jockey.

I have often wondered why theres no sexuality/love in Toms work.....

Wonder if Tom will try to keep having Gigers work for future albums? 2 in a row so it would be a shame not to continue it.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:29 am 

"The box set will include the album, a Triptykon silver pendant, a poster, postcards, a Triptykon tote bag, and a cap."

I can imagine how expensive this deluxe box will be. :D

Anyway, I am super excited with this release, and as far as I know it will be more varied than its predecessor, something I miss in the first album in comparison to Monotheist.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:23 pm 

Two 30 second samples of the new album. Give it a listen here -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ICM ... alsunet-20

Pig Benis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:14 pm 

limited 200 red 7 inch already gone. poof. i loose.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:17 pm 

shouvince wrote:
Two 30 second samples of the new album. Give it a listen here -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ICM ... alsunet-20

As short as they are, the samples show a Monotheist/Eparistera feeling. This should be solid.

sabbathfan4993
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:59 pm 

Live video of one of the new songs in surprisingly good quality

Yup, my anticipation for this is now astronomical.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:35 am 

That song kicks major ass. Massive doom riffs layered in ominous atmosphere as expected from mighty Warrior. The interlude is another highlight. Can't wait for the album.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:36 am 

To think that the recording itself is overall average too, so I can only imagine how immense it will sound in studio.

Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:26 am 

Loving the atmosphere of that track. Hot damn, at the moment there are two insane doom releases to look forward to this year - THIS and Dread Sovereign.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:02 pm 

Tom G. Warrior never disappoints. Hell yes. Keep those Celtic Frosted guitars.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next