Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:08 pm 

As hard as it can be for some people around here to believe and/or accept, there was indeed a time when Lamb of God did not totally suck. As The Palaces Burn is one of their albums from that period of time.

So here's the thing, they're putting out a completely remixed & remastered version of that album and there will also be 3 previously unreleased demo tracks as well as a 70 min documentary video with interviews and stuff. It's coming out on the 11th day of this month which is next monday.

The whole thing is available for free streaming here:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... e-20131104

They also made a cheap-ass video for the song Vigil but the song itself is worth a lot more than the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd-3ALOo1Gw

oh and my opinion is that this remixed version of the album TOTALLY KICKS ASS, I never thought As The Palaces Burn needed any remastering until now

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:16 pm 

This is one of the first metal albums I ever picked up, so I definitely appreciate its value. That said, the original Devin Townsend production was really good to begin with. Listening to the two next to each other it just sounds like they boosted the mid-range and tinkered with the drums a bit, not worth re-purchasing IMO.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:35 pm 

The new version is a huge improvement. I like how they didn't change it so it sounds completely different than the original production. They just made everything sound bigger and fuller. The drums aren't buried anymore in the mix either. Definitely an album that needed a remix like this, so I'm glad it finally got one.

I don't listen to these guys much, but I think they're one of the better bands playing this style. Unfortunately they get lumped into the metalcore crowd usually, even though they don't really belong there.

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:47 pm 

Evoken wrote:
The new version is a huge improvement. I like how they didn't change it so it sounds completely different than the original production. They just made everything sound bigger and fuller. The drums aren't buried anymore in the mix either. Definitely an album that needed a remix like this, so I'm glad it finally got one.

I don't listen to these guys much, but I think they're one of the better bands playing this style. Unfortunately they get lumped into the metalcore crowd usually, even though they don't really belong there.

But it's not the original recording, so it must suck!

Just kidding, but there are some users who think that :).

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:43 am 

The reissue sounds so much better. I could never stand the muffled sound of the original version, so to hear these songs with the clarity they should have had initially is just plain great.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom/Black Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ld50
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:08 am 

I can't stand Lamb of God these days; I've moved on from their earlier style and they've moved on to much shittier things.

However, despite my black and death metal tendencies these days, As The Palaces Burn may have been my favorite album the year that it came out. I thought and still think that the mix suited the writing on the album perfectly. I can still enjoy ATPB; I can't tell if it's the nostalgia or if it's just a good album. Maybe a bit of both.

Ashes of the Wake is pretty much ATPB's counterpart in terms of the mix and it also works really well for that album. I can see why one may be tempted to remix ATPB, but it certainly doesn't need it; the mix is great, if not perfect for those songs.

I'll check it out, but I definitely won't be buying it.

Mojo Bundy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:09 pm 

I've always liked the sound of ATPB also...I always stood by the perspective that whatever flaws one might find in it, it has a really distinctive character that makes it stand out and feel memorable. There's kinda this snarl to the sound that I've always dug. So when I saw that the documentary from this got posted in full and watched it yesterday, my thought was "Great, the most tempting part of the re-release to me...now I don't have to buy it!" But actually watching the doc made me WANT to hear the new version (especially hearing how the drums differ)...so I'll have to at least listen to that stream of it soon, and I may even end up paying for it at some point.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:00 pm 

It's the only Lamb Of God album you really need. It's a good one though.

I won't bother purchasing the reissued version though, simply because I already own it. I heard good things about it, so it might as well be the one you pick up.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:07 pm 

one thing I will say, New American Gospel would have needed this remix much more than As The Palaces Burn

Reply to topic