Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
schizoid
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:35 am
Posts: 581
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:00 am 
 

google translate tell me I am pronouncing Macabre wrong. But if that's the case, I think the band is too.

Top
 Profile  
bastardnasum
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:04 pm
Posts: 51
Location: Italy
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:13 am 
 

Maybe they pronounce it as in french, being Canada bilingual...

Top
 Profile  
androdion
Metal freak

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:34 am
Posts: 5152
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:14 am 
 

Keltic vs Celtic

So basically if you're referring to the Celtic people you use the muted form, everything else that doesn't relate to that uses the sibilant form. They're both correct.

One band that me and my friends can't seem too ever pronounce right is The Chasm, which should be pronounced "kazem", but we always call it "tchasm". Pretty weird I know, but I think it's a habit due to names like "Artch Enemy" or "Martch" and stuff like that. And it does sound so weird to say "The Kazem" in our language. :lol:
_________________
ANGST ISST DIE SEELE AUF
androdion@Discogs

Top
 Profile  
balbulus
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:01 pm
Posts: 967
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:20 am 
 

Drudkh is correctly pronounced "droo" (the last cluster of letters is silent), however for convenience I always pronounce it "droodkh" with the "kh" as in Scottish "loch" or German "bach".
_________________
‎"Suddenly, life has new meaning..."

Top
 Profile  
CoF
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:25 pm
Posts: 462
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:30 am 
 

InnesI wrote:
iAmDisturbed wrote:
Officium Triste!

Is it "Officium" like OFF-SHI-UM or OFFEESEE-UM?


Sounds like latin to me which would probably mean its closer to a pronunciation without the sh-sound.


I would pronounce the "c" like an "k", because if I recall it correctly from school, this is the way the "c" is pronounced in spoken Latin.
_________________
You gotta keep the devil way down in the hole / Possession Is The Medicine

Top
 Profile  
Erosion of Humanity
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:12 pm
Posts: 2464
Location: Schaumburg, Il
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:36 am 
 

I always butcher Tvangeste, I usually just wind up saying tvan-ges-t but I think the 't' may actually be silent though I'm not sure.
_________________
niix wrote:
'the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter'

Crick wrote:
Raw eggs tastier than semen? What horrid ooze-troll have you been blowing?

Top
 Profile  
Kveldulfr
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:01 pm
Posts: 2451
Location: Chile
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:40 am 
 

Nephilim96 wrote:
AnimeDad wrote:
"TAAAH-kay? TAAAH-kee? Toke? Taaaayk?"



I say Taake kinda like you say "talk", but I'm sure that's wrong.


Its very close! Specially for Swedish people. Add a -e at the end and you'll be doing it perfectly.

In America (the continent) I've never heard Celtic as Keltic, although I know it from Tom explaining it.

The Swedish/Norwegian names seem to be pretty easy, since most of letters are pronounced the same in those languages, latin and Spanish. The double A (aa) and the å are the same, pronounced something like english 'aw'; the swedish ä is just like spanish/latin 'e' (english e of pet). Fjäll : fi-él, just spanish Fiel (faithful)

The ø and ö are the same, pronounced like a combination of 'o' and the aforementioned 'e'. Also, the 'o' is pronounced by default like a 'u' with a good share of exceptions. Troldskog is pronounced Trolld-skoog (skog : forest).

Now, Drudkh sounds like Droo(d-kh). Negura Bunget seems to be Ne-goo-rah Boon-get.

Now, as someone else pointed out, the mythological names like Samael and, Baal, Belzebuth, Azazel, etc should be pronounced like original latin, Belial is Béh-lee-al, Ba-ál for Baal and the oher one Bel-zeh-bóot.
_________________
Forestfather in Facebook- Some sort of black metal.
Get Forestfather's new album 'Hereafter' here!
Kveldulf's various stuff in Soundcloud
Vahşet in ReverbNation - Death metal


Last edited by Kveldulfr on Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:49 am
Posts: 394
Location: Svea Rike
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:44 am 
 

If anyone wants to know, Taake is pronounced "Toh-keh". "Aa" is the old nordic spelling of the letter "Å" which is like a mix of "A" and "O".
_________________
Last.FM

Top
 Profile  
Twisted_Psychology
Veteran

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 8:22 pm
Posts: 3003
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:34 am 
 

I think every American symphonic metal fan has referred to the original Nightwish singer as Tar-juh at some point in their lives.

I know one example that I find funny is Danzig's post-Misfits band Samhain. He's always pronounced it as Sam-hane but I jammed with a guy who referred to them as Sow-win at one point. It is technically how the holiday is pronounced but it threw me off when he first said it.
_________________
Spirit Division (Blues Metal): http://spiritdivision.bandcamp.com
My blog: http://psychicshorts.blogspot.com

Top
 Profile  
Atropus
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:02 pm
Posts: 679
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:38 am 
 

Danzig's American, so I guess it's forgiveable, but yes, it's actually "Sow-ain"

Knowing Tarja is (Sami) Scandinavian though, I've always called her "Tar-Ya"

Top
 Profile  
Atropus
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:02 pm
Posts: 679
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:41 am 
 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
I always butcher Tvangeste, I usually just wind up saying tvan-ges-t but I think the 't' may actually be silent though I'm not sure.


I called it "Twan-ges-ta" a couple tie, though I know it's wrong.....

Top
 Profile  
Indecency
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:15 pm
Posts: 608
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:33 pm 
 

Here's a stupid one for you all. Alestorm. I used to call them 'Al-uh-storm'. For a few years. The thing is, I never had to say their name out loud. It wasn't until less than a year ago that I saw a tour announcement with a band 'Halestorm'. I paid attention because the name was similar to Alestorm. I pronounced Halestorm as 'Hail-storm', then remarked how Alestorm should be pronounced 'Ale-storm' and how it was a better name, and then realized what an idiot I was.

Top
 Profile  
metroplex
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:28 am
Posts: 438
Location: Peru
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:41 pm 
 

In Latinamerica it's always Celtic and not Keltic, no matter what you're talking about.

Top
 Profile  
Nebster173
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 8:22 am
Posts: 301
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:54 pm 
 

schizoid wrote:
google translate tell me I am pronouncing Macabre wrong. But if that's the case, I think the band is too.


Yeah, me too. For a long while I used to pronounce it "Ma-cab-ray".

Top
 Profile  
Panflute
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:11 am
Posts: 452
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:51 pm 
 

Celtic Frost, because c+e is an s in my book.

I pronounce Kawir as 'Ká-wirr' most of the time, even though I know it's pronounced 'Ka-véér', at least by their vocalist on the live DVD.

A part of me is inclined to pronounce 'Motörhead' as 'Mo-turrhead', seeing as that is what happens when you add an Umlaut to an 'o'.

Drudkh - no fucking clue.
_________________
Black Ivory Tower zine #1 - Interbellum out now!

Top
 Profile  
Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:32 pm
Posts: 354
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:18 pm 
 

Is Kalmah pronounced Kall-Mah, or Kal-Mah?
_________________
THEMICRULAH wrote:
IT'S THE SAME INVERTED AS REGULAR?! MY BRAIN IS BROKEN! TOTAL SATAN!

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

Top
 Profile  
FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:33 am
Posts: 104
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:23 pm 
 

I pronounce "Watain" as Wuh-TAIN and when I saw them in concert with Behemoth people were pronouncing it WAH-tain, so I guess that.

Top
 Profile  
MutantClannfear
Metalhead

Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 12:12 am
Posts: 2366
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:37 pm 
 

I mispronounced Lykathea Aflame for at least two or three years until very recently. It reads most naturally as "lie-KATH-ee-uh", but after listening to its pronunciation in lyrics and whatnot I'm fairly convinced that it's a pseudo-Greek word and it's pronounced "LIKE-uh-THEE-uh".

While I'm here, any Norwegians want to tell me how to pronounce "Knokkelklang"? Is it "knock-uhl-klayng"?
_________________
Wilytank wrote:
Aeosphorus wrote:
there are post-black metal bands such as ...Sunn O.

When did we start calling Sunn O))) black metal and how soon can we stop?

Top
 Profile  
Erosion of Humanity
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:12 pm
Posts: 2464
Location: Schaumburg, Il
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:40 pm 
 

I always pronounced it "Lie-keth-ea" but the way you said sounds way better :lol:
_________________
niix wrote:
'the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter'

Crick wrote:
Raw eggs tastier than semen? What horrid ooze-troll have you been blowing?

Top
 Profile  
katatonia47
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:54 am
Posts: 272
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:46 pm 
 

Like a dude on the first page said, I always sound Jewish when I pronounce Drudkh. I say 'Drood-random throat noise that sounds like a 'kay' sound'.
And I've always pronounced Lykathea Aflame as 'La-Kay-Thea'.
There are a bunch of others, such as anything French, because I can't even pretend to properly mimic a French accent.
_________________
"Work for pay, pay for freedom, fuck 'em all we don't need 'em" - Acid Bath

Top
 Profile  
Dux_Saxoniae
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:56 am
Posts: 102
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:31 pm 
 

InnesI wrote:
Otherwise a classic example is Motörhead. Since I'm Swedish I tend to actually pronounce it with the Ö-sound even though I know I shouldn't. It was just a fad for bands to add diacritic marks over randomly selected letters in band names. I find it works out nicely and doesn't sound to off since I do pronounce the rest in an English way. The Ö isn't that pronounced then.

Ha, I'm German so I used to do the exact same thing :D

EDIT: Winterfylleth comes to mind. Do they want me to pronounce that as it would be in Old English (rhotic r's, y like German ü/Norwegian u), or do they use a Modern English pronunciation? This goes for pretty much all the bands whose names are drawn from extinct languages.

Top
 Profile  
Atropus
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:02 pm
Posts: 679
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:28 pm 
 

FaultyClockwork wrote:
I pronounce "Watain" as Wuh-TAIN and when I saw them in concert with Behemoth people were pronouncing it WAH-tain, so I guess that.


It's "Vah-tain".

Top
 Profile  
Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:49 am
Posts: 394
Location: Svea Rike
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:48 am 
 

MutantClannfear wrote:
I mispronounced Lykathea Aflame for at least two or three years until very recently. It reads most naturally as "lie-KATH-ee-uh", but after listening to its pronunciation in lyrics and whatnot I'm fairly convinced that it's a pseudo-Greek word and it's pronounced "LIKE-uh-THEE-uh".

While I'm here, any Norwegians want to tell me how to pronounce "Knokkelklang"? Is it "knock-uhl-klayng"?


Nockle-klang.
_________________
Last.FM

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
RETIRED

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 5245
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:14 am 
 

I'm German, so I pretty much mispronounce anything with a "th" in it. :P
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/droneriot
Join my death/doom group on Last.fm!!
My blog: http://droneriot.blogspot.de/
Alpha Drone at Bandcamp: http://alphadrone.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
693
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:55 am
Posts: 628
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:33 am 
 

Celtic Frosted Flakes wrote:
MutantClannfear wrote:
I mispronounced Lykathea Aflame for at least two or three years until very recently. It reads most naturally as "lie-KATH-ee-uh", but after listening to its pronunciation in lyrics and whatnot I'm fairly convinced that it's a pseudo-Greek word and it's pronounced "LIKE-uh-THEE-uh".

While I'm here, any Norwegians want to tell me how to pronounce "Knokkelklang"? Is it "knock-uhl-klayng"?


Nockle-klang.


No.

It is Keh-enhe-aw-kehl-keh-lah-ahngeh

Top
 Profile  
Panflute
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:11 am
Posts: 452
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:56 am 
 

droneriot wrote:
I'm German, so I pretty much mispronounce anything with a "th" in it. :P


I bet you really like zis band called Zerion.
_________________
Black Ivory Tower zine #1 - Interbellum out now!

Top
 Profile  
Jasper92
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 465
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:25 am 
 

At first I pronounced Municipal Waste as Munikipal Waste. Well, I still do that. To annoy a friend who is a fan of them.
_________________
Megadeth Cyber Army member #14126
http://cyberarmy.megadeth.com

DeadspeakNL OSDM
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Deadspeak/1380704462220853

Top
 Profile  
conquer__all
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:49 pm
Posts: 258
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:14 pm 
 

I believe you pronounce Taake = Too-ka
_________________
CHAOS REIGNS!!!

Top
 Profile  
FirebathDan
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:32 pm
Posts: 806
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:39 pm 
 

I've always pronounced "Borknagar" as "born-agar",with the silent K as in "know", because that's what makes sense to me when looking at the word as an English speaker.

It's only very recently that I've heard Brun himself say "bork-nagar".

Either way, I still say "born-agar" cause I don't care :lol:.
_________________
Dark Sacrament
Melodic Black Metal, Band, Drums
Cold Blank Stare
Black Metal, Solo Project, Everything

Top
 Profile  
Foulchrist
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:25 pm
Posts: 407
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:50 pm 
 

Sarcofago usually comes up in these threads. Where does the emphasis go? I've been saying it as sar-CAWF-ago, but I used to say SARC-ofago. I have a feeling it's meant to be sarco-FAE-go. Actually, I tend to alternate between these three. Can't remember what the conclusion was on the matter in previous threads.

:scratch:
_________________
Translucent skin stretched over an alien frame.

Top
 Profile  
Atropus
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:02 pm
Posts: 679
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:20 pm 
 

Brazilian say "Sar-CO-fa-go", as it's pretty phonetic..... no long vowels there.

Top
 Profile  
AnimeDad
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:08 am
Posts: 40
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:33 pm 
 

Quote:
I think every American symphonic metal fan has been pantsed at some point in their lives

Fixed

Yanks say "sar-caaaw-faggo" because we think of the word "sarcophagus," which we also say with a "caw".

Caaw caaaw.
_________________
IT'S OKAY TO BE GAY! HOMOPHONES!

Top
 Profile  
DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:10 am
Posts: 528
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:34 pm 
 

Panflute wrote:
droneriot wrote:
I'm German, so I pretty much mispronounce anything with a "th" in it. :P


I bet you really like zis band called Zerion.


Speaking of Therion, I've always said it as "Theer-ee-ahn." That's wrong, isn't it?

Top
 Profile  
Foulchrist
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:25 pm
Posts: 407
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:49 pm 
 

AnimeDad wrote:
Yanks say "sar-caaaw-faggo" because we think of the word "sarcophagus," which we also say with a "caw".

Caaw caaaw.


The same reason I usually say it that way too.

Those crows that keep me awake every morning have been mocking me this whole time. :eek:
_________________
Translucent skin stretched over an alien frame.

Top
 Profile  
Erosion of Humanity
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:12 pm
Posts: 2464
Location: Schaumburg, Il
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:04 pm 
 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:

Speaking of Therion, I've always said it as "Theer-ee-ahn." That's wrong, isn't it?



That's how I've always said it too but I've heard some people say "ther-y-on" not really sure which is right but I prefer the other way.
_________________
niix wrote:
'the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter'

Crick wrote:
Raw eggs tastier than semen? What horrid ooze-troll have you been blowing?

Top
 Profile  
Kveldulfr
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:01 pm
Posts: 2451
Location: Chile
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:16 pm 
 

Sarcófago is the same in spanish and portuguese I think. Sar-co (like on control)-fa-go, nothing overly long or something.
_________________
Forestfather in Facebook- Some sort of black metal.
Get Forestfather's new album 'Hereafter' here!
Kveldulf's various stuff in Soundcloud
Vahşet in ReverbNation - Death metal

Top
 Profile  
soul_schizm
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:55 am
Posts: 659
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:11 pm 
 

Not only does the entire USA say "Seltic Frost," but we also say "The Seltics" when talking about the basketball team from Boston.

I didn't have a clue that "Celtic" was pronounced "Keltic" until several years after it was too late, due to this fact. I won't be changing the way I say it this late in the game.


Also, I say Malevolent Creation wrong. I say it: "mal-VOLENT creation" instead of "Muh-LEH-volent"

I don't really care that this is wrong, and I'm not going to change.

Top
 Profile  
Erosion of Humanity
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:12 pm
Posts: 2464
Location: Schaumburg, Il
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:16 pm 
 

soul_schizm wrote:
Not only does the entire USA say "Seltic Frost," but we also say "The Seltics" when talking about the basketball team from Boston.


That must be regional because I've always said "keltic" unless talking about the basketball team, in fact that's the way we were taught in school at least up north here. I also pronounce the word arch phonetically as opposed to putting a 't' in it and saying "artch" or even some people say "ark" which I don't understand either.
_________________
niix wrote:
'the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter'

Crick wrote:
Raw eggs tastier than semen? What horrid ooze-troll have you been blowing?

Top
 Profile  
Foulchrist
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:25 pm
Posts: 407
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:36 pm 
 

"Seltic" is used in the context of the Scottish football team Celtic too. I've always pronounced it "Keltic" Frost though, "Seltic" has no balls.
_________________
Translucent skin stretched over an alien frame.

Top
 Profile  
I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:11 pm
Posts: 1702
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:23 pm 
 

I pronounce Slough Feg - Slow Feg as in opposite to fast, rather than with an ow sound which is correct apparently.
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/I_am_Vengeance

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: true_death and 25 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group