Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:34 am 

Sure. Many French words ending in "er" have that syllable pronounced "é" indeed (no real equivalent in English, the closest being "ay", I guess), but that's mostly the case for verbs (manger, parler, marcher...). Hiver is a noun, and the "er" part is pronounced "air" for most of these instead (just like the English words "air" or "heir"); that's also the case for "la mer" (the sea: "lah mair"), "le fer" (iron: "luh fair"), "mon cher" (my dear, who's necessarily a male: "munh shair") etc.

I understand your native language probably is Danish considering your location, but it's safer to refer to English as it's our common language here.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:22 pm 

LegendMaker wrote:
Sure. Many French words ending in "er" have that syllable pronounced "é" indeed (no real equivalent in English, the closest being "ay", I guess), but that's mostly the case for verbs (manger, parler, marcher...). Hiver is a noun, and the "er" part is pronounced "air" for most of these instead (just like the English words "air" or "heir"); that's also the case for "la mer" (the sea: "lah mair"), "le fer" (iron: "luh fair"), "mon cher" (my dear, who's necessarily a male: "munh shair") etc.

I understand your native language probably is Danish considering your location, but it's safer to refer to English as it's our common language here.

The thing about nouns and verbs is probably where I got things mixed up - Thanks for clarifying!

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:34 pm 

Weird one for me: Melechesh.

I know it's Mell-e-chesh, but my tongue doesn't work that way and I keep going Mell-e-cheese-sh.

i don't consider gordon ramsay to be a chef, because i haven't been to his restaurants, and i'm not interested in his food

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:34 pm 

slayrrr666 wrote:

I know it's Mell-e-chesh, but my tongue doesn't work that way and I keep going Mell-e-cheese-sh.

I've heard this one as Mell-eh-kesh at their concert.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:05 pm 

I always pronounce Ildjarn with a "j" as in "jeep", even though it's surely pronounced ild-yarn (eeld-yarn?). Just one of those things where once it's stuck in your head, it's hard to shake.

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:18 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
slayrrr666 wrote:

Well, the "ch" sound doesn't exist in the English language, so you kind of have to try to approximate it. Basically sounds like the thing people do before they spit.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Deaderthebetter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:23 pm 

Not me personally but some people seem to love I-run Maiden instead of the correct I-ern Maiden.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:42 pm 

Pretty much every German does that, myself included. :nods:

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:55 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Well, the "ch" sound doesn't exist in the English language, so you kind of have to try to approximate it. Basically sounds like the thing people do before they spit.

We have two sounds for the 'ch' combo it's either a 'k' or a 'sh' sound.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Metal Invader
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:57 pm 

Somebody knows how to pronunce 'Kataxu' ?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:27 am 

droneriot wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:

You mean the 'khuh' sound? Always thought it was Mell-leh-khesh and not -kesh.

How does one say 'Mgla'?

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:17 am 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
droneriot wrote:

We have two sounds for the 'ch' combo it's either a 'k' or a 'sh' sound.

I'm referring to the "ch" sound in Hebrew (or German).

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:38 am 

Paracoccidioidomicosisproctitissarcomucosis

I pronounce it as that Mexican band with the the really long name.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:49 am 

Hayisforhorses wrote:
Paracoccidioidomicosisproctitissarcomucosis

I pronounce it as that Mexican band with the the really long name.

I think that's pretty spot on.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:37 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
Taake - still don't know
Drudkh - I just say it how it's spelled without the H like drud-k
Endstille - End-Still?
Marduk - I always call them marDUCK

Taake I pronounce as Tar-k
Drudkh I prounce as Drewd-keh, never had to say this so might be way off.
Endstille I pronounce as End-style
Marduk I pronounce as Mar-dook

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:49 am 

an R in Taake huh? I'll just call them Take or tahkee or taco... I know whenever I'm at a Marduk concert everyone says mar-dook I just like marduck better :)

Other bands I hate trying to pronounce are the ones that have "Svart" or any variation of that in them such as Svartsyn, Svarttjern, Zwartplaag, etc. Pretty sure svart means black or dark and Zwartplaag means "black plague" so I usually just call them that. Awesome band btw but too bad they are on hold. I know Schwarz means dark or black in German/Austrian which is not as uncomfortable to pronounce as "svart" :lol:

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:51 am 

Taake = Toh-keh (like the 'o' in 'clothes')

Svart is pronounced "Svaht" in swedish but the T is like the T from an indian dialect, if you know what I mean. (unless you're from the south of Sweden, in which case it is pronounced with the throaty R before the T.)

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:57 am 

Jackoroth wrote:
Sick6Six wrote:
Endstille - End-Still?

Endstille I pronounce as End-style

:ugh:

Try End-shtill-uh

Metal Invader
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:57 pm 

No Poles in here ?

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:07 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
an R in Taake huh? I'll just call them Take or tahkee or taco...

Keep in mind that Jackoroth is Australian, so his "ar" probably sounds exactly like the American "ah". It's kind of like how it took me months to realize that the name of the band Whoretopsy is supposed to rhyme with "autopsy", because with an American accent it just sounds like "HOAR-top-see" instead of "HAWUH-top-see".

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:06 pm 

The best approximation to Taake I've seen was earlied in this thread: TALK-EH. Another close alternatives is "TAWK-EH".

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:37 pm 

Necroghast wrote:
One that really bugs me is Arsaidh/Saor. He changed the name from Arsaidh to Saor because of pronunciation issues... How is Saor any easier to pronounce? Sore? Sour? Say - or? I actually found Arsaidh easier to pronounce as "Ar - sayed"

I would assume it's like Awr-shuck but it's a Scots Gàidhlig word not an Irish Gaelic word. In Ireland we don't have the grave accent just the acute accent (called a fáda) but I think between the languages the s is a "sh" sound and the dh is a "k" sound. Assuming the grave a makes a similar sound to an acute a in Irish then it should give an "aw" sound.

As for Saor that means free in Ireland and I assume the same in Scotland. It's pretty easy to pronounce, "Sair" is how it's pronounced.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:45 pm 

I'm not sure about Sonne Adam since it's in hebrew. I pronounce "Sonne" like it is in german, and Adam as in english.

Also, Akitsa. Ah-ki-ti-sa?

Tron_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:52 pm 

raumr wrote:
The best approximation to Taake I've seen was earlied in this thread: TALK-EH. Another close alternatives is "TAWK-EH".

The interviewer here seems to pronounce it like that too (@ 0:50)

my last.fm

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:58 pm 

LegendMaker wrote:
I too always said Selteec Frost and Seereeth Un-goal. It just comes naturally with the French accent (do you guys say "the Kelts" referring to the Celts, too? It sounds so wrong to my ears, I'm not sure I can ever get used to that).

You're not alone. As an Italian speaker, "keltic" sounds twice as wrong to my ears: just like you never say "kellar" or "keremony" in English, you don't say "kenere" or "kensura" in Italian. The first c in "celtico" sounds like the "ch" in "chair", because that's how c+e sounds like in Italian, with zero exceptions. I've sort of accustomed myself to say "keltic" when referring to the band but unless I'm paying attention I will easily relapse into "seltic". Not that I care that much anyway :P
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:02 pm 

I used to say "seltic" too as it is natural for a portuguese speaker, but I worried that Tom might break down in tears if he knew people mispronounced the name of his band, so I started saying keltic.

DarkWolfXV
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:11 pm 

shouvince wrote:
How does one say 'Mgla'?

Its 'Mgła'. The 'ł' letter in polish is kinda like a 'w' in english. So you pronounce it 'Mgwah'.

Metal Invader wrote:
Somebody knows how to pronunce 'Kataxu' ?

Your other post below the one im quoting implies that this is a polish name, so it is pronounced like it is written. Probably 'Cataxu' would be closest.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:51 pm 

That's weird, the Latvians in Skyforger have a song called "Mgla Mgla Rasa Rasa", and they pronounce it "Mi-ga-la"

GuardAwakening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:28 pm 

I just now realized Cephalotripsy is pronounced like "Sef-ul-law-tripsy" per this interview I just saw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMVGs5d5NK8

I ALWAYS pronounced their band name Sef-al-o-tripsy :\

SIDE NOTE: also Sepultura is one I mispronounced for a long time as well

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:40 pm 

Haha, I wonder how people outside of Denmark pronounce Undergang? That's a tough one.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:50 pm 

Helvede wrote:
Haha, I wonder how people outside of Denmark pronounce Undergang? That's a tough one.

I pronounce it like the German word "untergang" but with a "d" instead of a "t". How's the correct phonetics on this one? Kind of curious now. :)

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:06 pm 

Helvede wrote:

It's sort of like the german Untergang, but the D is silent and instead makes the N faster. The A is the typical scandinavian long A.
So it's sort of like "UNnergaang" with the emphasis on the first syllable. Even though it's sort of a deep, long A sound the "gang" part is actually somewhat short.
Hope that makes sense :)

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:15 pm 

Yeah, that's actually pretty different from what I call them. :lol:

Still regarding the Seltic/Keltic thing. In Portuguese when you have a "c" followed by "e" or "i" it's sibilant, but when it's followed by "a", "o" or "u" it's harsh (k). So we say, in Portuguese (all words beginning with a "c"); "karro" (car), "sebola" (onion), "sigarro" (cigar), "komando" (commando), "ku" (ass). Now imagine someone who speaks Portuguese reading "Celtic Frost"... it's really hard not to say "Seltic" each and every time. ;)

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:25 pm 

Huldrelok wrote:
Have allways pronounced Kyuss Ke-Yuss, found out recently its Kai-Us.

Same here. I had problems uttering Agalloch, Sigur Ros and Griftegard earlier. Not anymore. :-P
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:38 pm 

androdion wrote:
Helvede wrote:

I pronounce it like the German word "untergang" but with a "d" instead of a "t". How's the correct phonetics on this one? Kind of curious now. :)

To complete the Danish pronunciation effect, stuff hot potatoes in your mouth while saying it.

Don't really know if Behexen is supposed to be pronounced the English way or the Finnish way, the main difference being in the way the first 'e' is pronounced. In Finnish, it would be pronounced like the vowel in 'lead', as in the metal, or like the other 'e'-letters in Behexen. The last 'e' is longer compared to the English pronunciation.

At least I seem to recall Alan Averill pronouncing it as be-hexen.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:48 pm 

ClaymanOnFire wrote:
My biggest problem is with Amesoeurs. Am-eh-sorz? Am-ee-syurs? Too many vowels :annoyed:

Necroghast wrote:
Pretty sure its "Ah - me - swah"? I'm sure French speakers could tell you.

lol, not even close. It's hard to explain the pronounciation of "soeur" though (it means "sister"). The o is silent, so it's really like "seur", but the "eu" sound does not exist in English. The best way to explain it is, imagine someone saying "sir" with a very thick French accent. :D
Here's the audio, click on the audio icon: http://translate.google.com/#en/fr/sister

Metantoine wrote:
Paysage d'hiver doesn't sound goofy at all when you know how to say it. Peh-ee-zage dee-vher

I disagree with the "zage" part, it's very misleading for an English speaker. It's be more accurate to write "-zahj".

slayrrr666 wrote:

I used to say Meh-leh-kesh. But according to Israelis I've spoken to, it's actually Meh-leh-hesh, with the first h in "hesh" being hard (much like the hard j sound in Spanish, as in Jorge being Hor-hay).

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

hellofallhells
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:27 am 

I pronounced Dimmu Borgir as Borjir for years. Not sure why. :???:

Lots of band names in this thread that I've never heard of. Got some catchin' up to do.

Dead_Joe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:14 am 

Can anyone confirm the correct way to pronounce Mike Scheidt from YOB's last name?

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:49 am 

Wait, so "undergang" is actually a Danish word? It looks just like a combo of "under" and "gang" in English. I would have pronounced it just like that (and imagined it referred to a whole gang of underdogs). What does it actually mean, then?

Morrigan wrote:
the "eu" sound does not exist in English.

It sort of does: "uh", or indeed in words like "Sir" or "merge" (the first E). What's very very hard for English speakers is the French sound U, though; the closest I've found is in how "suppose" is generally pronounced.

Dead_Joe wrote:
Can anyone confirm the correct way to pronounce Mike Scheidt from YOB's last name?

What's YOB? Not sure where the guy's from, but this looks to me like the German name that's roughly pronounced "shite" (with a silent D and short T sound).

Dead_Joe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:06 am 

Yob is a disgustingly heavy cosmic doom trio from Eugene, Oregon.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/YOB/10929

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next