* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:08 am 

LegendMaker wrote:
Dead_Joe wrote:
Can anyone confirm the correct way to pronounce Mike Scheidt from YOB's last name?

What's YOB? Not sure where the guy's from, but this looks to me like the German name that's roughly pronounced "shite" (with a silent D and short T sound).

Actually this is YOB. :roll: I pronounce his surname as Sh-Aye-Et.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:26 am 

I'd pronounce it shy-dt, thoug I'd be inclined to do the whole German sch thing.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:27 pm 

LegendMaker wrote:
Wait, so "undergang" is actually a Danish word? It looks just like a combo of "under" and "gang" in English. I would have pronounced it just like that (and imagined it referred to a whole gang of underdogs). What does it actually mean, then?

Yes, Undergang is a completely Danish word. It means apocalypse or downfall. The "under" is the same as in English, meaningwise. "Gang" is completely different though. It sort of means "progress" or "course". Together it sort of means "going under". When shit goes down. Downfall is probably the best litteral translation.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:31 pm 

I always assumed it meant something like that, since it's similiar to german "untergang" which means downfall too. It would be a silly name if it was in english. Under gang?

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:38 pm 

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Never heard of YOB (not surprisingly, as I don't much care for stoner/doom; sorry, doomster999, not everybody does ^^) and I thought these were initials for a band's name called Year Of Bleuargh or something, rather than the actual name. :D

I think a gang of underdogs would sound quite cool, actually.

Ilwhyan wrote:
I'd pronounce it shy-dt, thoug I'd be inclined to do the whole German sch thing.

What German sch thing? As far as I know, "sch" is pronounced exactly like "sh" in German, perhaps with a few exceptions (much like in French and various other languages).

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:45 pm 

LegendMaker wrote:
Morrigan wrote:
the "eu" sound does not exist in English.

It sort of does: "uh", or indeed in words like "Sir" or "merge" (the first E). What's very very hard for English speakers is the French sound U, though; the closest I've found is in how "suppose" is generally pronounced.

Well like I said, you can find a roughly close equivalent but it's still not quite the same sound. Funnily enough, the "euh" sound from "sir" or "merge" sound much closer to how Québécois speakers pronounce the "euh" sound than the French. For example, one of my brother's friends once travelled to France and tried to ask for butter. His way of pronouncing "beurre" baffled the waiter (almost like an English "birr"), who then said "ah, du beu(uu)rre!" when he finally understood what he meant. :D

And yes the French U sound baffles the English speakers. I usually try to explain it's like the German ü and for some reason they often grasp that more easily. Probably because most people have heard the word "führer" being pronounced correctly at some point and that gives them an idea.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:11 am 

Marag wrote:
I always assumed it meant something like that, since it's similiar to german "untergang" which means downfall too. It would be a silly name if it was in english. Under gang?

Yup. Definitely the same word there. And yeah, "under gang" would be silly

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:53 am 

LegendMaker wrote:
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Never heard of YOB (not surprisingly, as I don't much care for stoner/doom; sorry, doomster999, not everybody does ^^) and I thought these were initials for a band's name called Year Of Bleuargh or something, rather than the actual name. :D

I think a gang of underdogs would sound quite cool, actually.

Ilwhyan wrote:

What German sch thing? As far as I know, "sch" is pronounced exactly like "sh" in German, perhaps with a few exceptions (much like in French and various other languages).

I think English speakers pronounce 'sh' with approximate similarity to the German 'sch' in some words at least, but the effect is somewhat exaggerated for the lack of a better word. Google yielded this, I haven't checked the sound samples though: http://www.pauljoycegerman.co.uk/pronou ... onsch.html

Understanding the Danish word gang: in Swedish, it's spelled gång, where the 'å' letter is effectively an 'o' as in the English word 'orgy'. It's easy to derive 'going' from that. Undergang, undergoing, thus falling under or downfall.

Faster Than You
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:12 pm 

Sarcofago

I don't even try saying it.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:41 pm 

Faster Than You wrote:
Sarcofago

I don't even try saying it.

It is pronounced just as it's written.

Sar as in "César" ( I really hope you know some guy called César)
co as in cold
fa as in "fun"
go as in got

The stress is in CO.

By the way, how do you pronounce Gojira?

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:59 pm 

Zircofugaw.

:scratch:

I have no idea what that Gojira band is really referencing with their name, but whenever I see it I assume it's an Engrish translation of Godzilla, so that's how I would pronounce it.

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:02 am 

Thexhumed wrote:

It is pronounced just as it's written.

The "co" is spoken, I don't know how to explain this, an open "o". Like an "oh" I guess.

It's not that different from the english "sarcophagus" so it shouldn't be too hard.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:16 am 

Foulchrist wrote:
Zircofugaw.

No, I think he meant César as in "seh-sahr", like a latino name.
Sahr-ko-fuh-go
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:21 am 

For the longest time I pronounced Alcest as "Al-say", what with the band being French and all. Then I found out a few days ago that Neige said it's pronounced "Al-sest", so now I've been trying to kick that habit whenever I say the name of the band.

I also used to pronounce Celtic Frost as "Keltic Frost", but I'm sure everyone at one point or another has mispronounced that name in that way.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:42 am 

Foulchrist wrote:
Zircofugaw.

I have no idea what that Gojira band is really referencing with their name, but whenever I see it I assume it's an Engrish translation of Godzilla, so that's how I would pronounce it.

Gojira is what Godzilla was called in Japanese originally. Regarding the pronounciation I've heard people trying to say it in a French way because the band is French, but I usually just say it in the Japanese-English way.

PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:53 am 

Gojira is pronounced pretty much the same way it looks - go (like the english go) - ji (like the letter G) - ra (maybe "rah" or "ruh").

Quote:
...whenever I see it I assume it's an Engrish translation of Godzilla, so that's how I would pronounce it.

Actually, Gojira was the original name and Godzilla is the anglicized version for English-speaking audiences.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:17 am 

Gôdjírá - with a semi-long "ô"

Sarcófago - Actually it's said pretty much as it's written, although you have different Portuguese accents to go by. If you go by Portugal's accent then it's pronounced with a "dry tone" and a very sibilant "s". It's not "tser" but more like "sser", like a dragged "s", and the "e" reads as in the English pronunciation of "sir". The second "a" is kind of broken, like "fã", and the "go" reads like "gu".

So it's similar to this: "Ssercófãgu"

If you go by the Brazilian accent though, and depending on the region, it's more like "Sárcófágu", again with a "dry tone". By "dry tone" I mean the opposite of having hot potatoes in your mouth.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:41 pm 

Zerberus wrote:
Gojira is what Godzilla was called in Japanese originally.

Hah, no way. Thought it was just coincidence that it sounded a bit like Godzilla in a Japanese accent.

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:43 pm 

Subrick wrote:
I also used to pronounce Celtic Frost as "Keltic Frost", but I'm sure everyone at one point or another has mispronounced that name in that way.

I always assumed that it was "celtic" as in "celtic peoples" of western Europe. And Wikipedia proceeds thusly on their article: /ˈkɛltɪk frɒst/, where "k" is like the "k" in "kind". So, in my book (for now), you did say it correct before.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:59 pm 

I don't mispronounce it through ignorance, but laziness: Vintersorg. I know it's pronounced more like 'veen-tuh-soo-ree', but I usually just say 'vin-ter-sorg'... unless I'm trying to get a cheap feeling of superiority over (most of) my friends. :p

One name that nearly everyone mispronounces (including me until several months ago) is Týr. It's not pronounced 'teer', but 'tweer' (with a rolled 'r'). Faroese is fucking weird.

Oh, here's one that irritates the hell out of me: Cirith Ungol. The band themselves pronounce the 'c' as an 's', which is fucking wrong. If you're going to name yourself after something from a book that has an explicit pronunciation guide in the back, then take the time to make sure you're saying it correctly. I refuse to pronounce it as the band do; it's not their name to mispronounce.

Last edited by ~Guest 171512 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:04 pm 

Regarding Vintersorg, the last bit which you wrote as 'ree' is pronounced with a rolling 'r' followed by something like the 'y' in 'yay', approximately.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:05 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Regarding Vintersorg, the last bit which you wrote as 'ree' is pronounced with a rolling 'r' followed by something like the 'y' in 'yay', approximately.

Oh yeah, I know, I just didn't think to write that down. Thank you. :)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5