Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
IanThrash
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:56 pm
Posts: 915
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:35 am 
 

NARAKU666 wrote:
As a Dismember dick-rider to see Matti with Bloodbath would be the second coolest thing ever (the first, of course, Dismember reforming)



Oh man, everytime I read something about Dismember and how much they are missed, I can't help remembering how incredibly awesome their last 2 albums were (especially The God That Never Was which is a complete beast!!)
_________________
Can´t touch this

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Lastfm

Top
 Profile  
ENKC
Veteran

Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:28 pm
Posts: 2717
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:01 am 
 

The God That Never Was is one of the greatest death metal albums of the 21st century. Which reminds me, I really must get it on vinyl one of these days.
_________________
John_Sunlight wrote:
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Top
 Profile  
thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:22 pm
Posts: 183
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:42 am 
 

Time out... Dismember broke up?

Top
 Profile  
Machine_Dead
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:47 pm
Posts: 690
Location: Belgium
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:51 am 
 

yes, in October 2011, still hoping for a comeback again in 2014, lots of bands seems to have a hiatus of only a couple of years these days...
_________________
WWLD wrote:
Death metal and strip clubs are bad. 9 out of 10 people who like them carry string around with them. I read it in a survey

Maquina_Muerte's Last.fm
The Hazard Zone - 2013: A Death Metal Year In Review

Top
 Profile  
tomcat_ha
Veteran

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:05 am
Posts: 2715
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:46 pm 
 

Nah we can expect a Dagger album instead tho !

Top
 Profile  
p0wnn00b
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:40 pm
Posts: 914
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:48 pm 
 

Let's get this thread back on track!

I think Katatonia are done touring for the year, so does this mean Bloodbath will begin recording?

Top
 Profile  
fallot
I'm not sexist, I have binders full of women friends!

Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:46 pm
Posts: 92
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:17 pm 
 

I hope Matti Karki has nothing to do with the band. Dismember sort of withered away but they never descended to the level of Bloodbath.

Top
 Profile  
The Lions Den
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:12 am
Posts: 908
Location: Italy
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:30 am 
 

thesilentenigma wrote:
Time out... Dismember broke up?


Fortunately yes. They didn't produce some quality death metal since 'Death Metal'.
_________________
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex…every sort of filth. And ya hate the police, don't ya?"

"You make it easy."

Top
 Profile  
ENKC
Veteran

Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:28 pm
Posts: 2717
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:46 am 
 

The Lions Den wrote:
thesilentenigma wrote:
Time out... Dismember broke up?


Fortunately yes. They didn't produce some quality death metal since 'Death Metal'.

Did you listen to their last four albums?
_________________
John_Sunlight wrote:
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Top
 Profile  
The Lions Den
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:12 am
Posts: 908
Location: Italy
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:22 am 
 

Unfortunately. With some tracks exception from WIC they put some boring and annoying albums out there.
_________________
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex…every sort of filth. And ya hate the police, don't ya?"

"You make it easy."

Top
 Profile  
androdion
Metal freak

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:34 am
Posts: 4929
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:56 pm 
 

The Lions Den wrote:
They didn't produce some quality death metal since 'Death Metal'.

The Lions Den wrote:
With some tracks exception from WIC they put some boring and annoying albums out there.

:snipe:
_________________
ANGST ISST DIE SEELE AUF
androdion@Discogs

Top
 Profile  
true_death
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:47 pm
Posts: 226
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:56 pm 
 

I would love Matti Karki to join this too, but I'm skeptical. He always seemed to be a very "detached" kind of guy...he straight up said in an interview once, that he did not listen to any new albums for the entirety of 2007 and only to his "old Iron Maiden and Autopsy records". After reading some interviews, it is harder for me to imagine him being friends with members of Katatonia or Opeth or whatever. But anything could happen. Personally he would be my person of choice...and considering he hasn't done much since Dismember broke up, except that Murder Squad reunion show, I'm sure he's available.

I mean, he's easily the best of the famous Swedish death vocalists. Johnny Hedlund is good, but his black metal growls are very annoying. Ola Lindgren is very good too, but a bit monotonous these days (none of the disgusting zombie wails that the old guy used to do). And L.G.'s voice sounds about as good as he looks these days (like a walking corpse).

I just pray it's not Martin van Drunen. I used to worship the guy, but after hearing the latest Hail of Bullets, I can't help but think he sounds like the "awkward teenager" from The Simpsons doing death metal vocals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EqusIsObeo

Top
 Profile  
thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:22 pm
Posts: 183
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:20 am 
 

The Lions Den wrote:
thesilentenigma wrote:
Time out... Dismember broke up?


Fortunately yes. They didn't produce some quality death metal since 'Death Metal'.



That album was so good! I'm always surprised to hear fans rip that album and favor mediocrity like Ironcrosses and The God.

Top
 Profile  
p0wnn00b
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:40 pm
Posts: 914
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:51 am 
 

true_death wrote:
I would love Matti Karki to join this too, but I'm skeptical. He always seemed to be a very "detached" kind of guy...he straight up said in an interview once, that he did not listen to any new albums for the entirety of 2007 and only to his "old Iron Maiden and Autopsy records". After reading some interviews, it is harder for me to imagine him being friends with members of Katatonia or Opeth or whatever. But anything could happen. Personally he would be my person of choice...and considering he hasn't done much since Dismember broke up, except that Murder Squad reunion show, I'm sure he's available.

I mean, he's easily the best of the famous Swedish death vocalists. Johnny Hedlund is good, but his black metal growls are very annoying. Ola Lindgren is very good too, but a bit monotonous these days (none of the disgusting zombie wails that the old guy used to do). And L.G.'s voice sounds about as good as he looks these days (like a walking corpse).

I just pray it's not Martin van Drunen. I used to worship the guy, but after hearing the latest Hail of Bullets, I can't help but think he sounds like the "awkward teenager" from The Simpsons doing death metal vocals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EqusIsObeo


Why are are all so convinced it has to be someone from Scandinavia (or the Netherlands in van Drunen's case)? There are plenty of classic death metal singers from other places. Shit, maybe it's Chris Reifert. Or maybe it's somebody who's less obvious.

Top
 Profile  
The Lions Den
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:12 am
Posts: 908
Location: Italy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:09 am 
 

androdion wrote:
The Lions Den wrote:
They didn't produce some quality death metal since 'Death Metal'.

The Lions Den wrote:
With some tracks exception from WIC they put some boring and annoying albums out there.

:snipe:


:-D

As for 'Death Metal' I intended include it in the first high quality Dismember era.
_________________
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex…every sort of filth. And ya hate the police, don't ya?"

"You make it easy."

Top
 Profile  
Corpsey the Clown
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:38 pm
Posts: 216
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:41 am 
 

That's good news, I guess, as long as they get their sense of humor back. Resurrection and Nightmares were great albums. The trouble came when they took themselves too seriously on Mastery.

Top
 Profile  
true_death
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:47 pm
Posts: 226
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:42 pm 
 

I just read this (old) interview with Blakkheim:

Quote:
CR: Did you ever think of asking another death metal trade mark singer to join Bloodbath, like for example Matti Kärki?

Anders "Blakkheim" Nyström: In all respect, Matti Kärki is a great brutal singer and I couldn’t imagine Dismember without his voice, but he wouldn’t make it in Bloodbath; he got a style that doesn’t suit our trademark. We need someone with an extremely articulate, clear voice and also a swift tongue beside the brutality and aggression. For example, not many death metal vocalists could pull off “Bastard son of God” to the full degree of what’s expected, it would probably be easier for a rapper to nail it, see what I mean? You gotta to have that articulate fast shit going and not many can growl his way through it remaining top dog. The ineffable king of this style is David Vincent and he’s been a big, if not the biggest influence on our previous singers.

Top
 Profile  
The Lions Den
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:12 am
Posts: 908
Location: Italy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:29 am 
 

true_death wrote:
I just read this (old) interview with Blakkheim:

Quote:
CR: Did you ever think of asking another death metal trade mark singer to join Bloodbath, like for example Matti Kärki?

Anders "Blakkheim" Nyström: In all respect, Matti Kärki is a great brutal singer and I couldn’t imagine Dismember without his voice, but he wouldn’t make it in Bloodbath; he got a style that doesn’t suit our trademark. We need someone with an extremely articulate, clear voice and also a swift tongue beside the brutality and aggression. For example, not many death metal vocalists could pull off “Bastard son of God” to the full degree of what’s expected, it would probably be easier for a rapper to nail it, see what I mean? You gotta to have that articulate fast shit going and not many can growl his way through it remaining top dog. The ineffable king of this style is David Vincent and he’s been a big, if not the biggest influence on our previous singers.


Totally agree with Blakkeim. A David Vincent's style vocalist fit on Bloodbath more than Karki style, who is perfect for Dismember or Murder Squad.

Terrorizer's Anthony "Wolf" Rezhawk is an exact example of vocalist Bloodbath need.
_________________
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex…every sort of filth. And ya hate the police, don't ya?"

"You make it easy."

Top
 Profile  
ENKC
Veteran

Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:28 pm
Posts: 2717
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:12 am 
 

I hadn't seen that interview, but I take his meaning entirely. That pseudo-chorus part of Bastard Son of God sends shivers down my spine, and it requires clear enunciation for best effect. Akerfeldt nailed it live.

Quote:
The sky embedded in the death of a nova
Effigy is seen in a second of light
No voice in the crack of his mouth
Bastard son of god


Can't see it working with, say, Corpsegrinder's near-incomprehensible sloppy brutality.
_________________
John_Sunlight wrote:
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Top
 Profile  
Delta_Wing
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:20 pm
Posts: 884
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:46 am 
 

Spoiler: show
The Lions Den wrote:
Unfortunately. With some tracks exception from WIC they put some boring and annoying albums out there.


What the fuck is WIC?? Where Ironcrosses Cuddle?

Saying that Dismember haven't put out a decent album since Death Metal is just nonsense. The God That Never Was, the Self Titled and Where Ironcrosses Grow all rip start to the finish. In fact ending their career with songs like the Hills Have Eyes, Dark Depths, and Tides of Blood is one hell of a way to go out.

You sir are full of shit.


Last edited by Zodijackyl on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bickering

Top
 Profile  
The Lions Den
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:12 am
Posts: 908
Location: Italy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:51 am 
 

Spoiler: show
Delta_Wing wrote:
You sir are full of shit.


and so is you.
_________________
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex…every sort of filth. And ya hate the police, don't ya?"

"You make it easy."


Last edited by Zodijackyl on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bickering

Top
 Profile  
Kveldulfr
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:01 pm
Posts: 2398
Location: Chile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:09 pm 
 

Get Pete back, he already destroyed the competence on NMF. No other can deliver a chorus like Eaten or the demonic high shrieks like in Soul Evisceration or Year of the Cadaver Race.

Well, there's one who could make it: Michael Nicklasson. His vocals on Luciferion were incredible: both the growls and the shrieks were brutal yet very articulate. His growls were also kinda similar to early Dave Vincent with a early Benton feel.
_________________
Forestfather in Facebook- Some sort of black metal.
Get Forestfather's new album 'Hereafter' here!
Kveldulf's various stuff in Soundcloud
Vahşet in ReverbNation - Death metal

Top
 Profile  
true_death
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:47 pm
Posts: 226
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:27 am 
 

ENKC wrote:
Can't see it working with, say, Corpsegrinder's near-incomprehensible sloppy brutality.


What? Corpsegrinder is easily one of the most precise vocalists in all of death metal.

Top
 Profile  
Razakel
Nekroprince

Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:36 pm
Posts: 4861
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:35 am 
 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Get Pete back, he already destroyed the competence on NMF. No other can deliver a chorus like Eaten or the demonic high shrieks like in Soul Evisceration or Year of the Cadaver Race.

Well, there's one who could make it: Michael Nicklasson. His vocals on Luciferion were incredible: both the growls and the shrieks were brutal yet very articulate. His growls were also kinda similar to early Dave Vincent with a early Benton feel.


Okay what holy shit mind = blown. The bassist of Dark Tranquillity was the vocalist in a '90s death metal band that I didn't know about, and apparently he's amazing? brb

Top
 Profile  
ENKC
Veteran

Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:28 pm
Posts: 2717
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:08 am 
 

true_death wrote:
ENKC wrote:
Can't see it working with, say, Corpsegrinder's near-incomprehensible sloppy brutality.


What? Corpsegrinder is easily one of the most precise vocalists in all of death metal.

On record, sure. But not on any of the live recordings I've seen or heard - and I own several. On the faster songs he's basically growling a loose approximation of the lyrics.
_________________
John_Sunlight wrote:
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Top
 Profile  
A Backwards 6
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:38 am
Posts: 46
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:52 pm 
 

Rogga Johansson

High five anyone?

Top
 Profile  
Subrick
Metal freak

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 5801
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:11 am 
 

An update.

Image

The unifying factor in all those events is that they happened in 1971, so that means the new vocalist was also born that year.
_________________
YouTube
Facebook
Sorrowseed Melodic Extreme Metal
Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

Top
 Profile  
Kveldulfr
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:01 pm
Posts: 2398
Location: Chile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:27 am 
 

Jörgen Sandström? He even played on Entombed. Just look the profile pic of the band.
_________________
Forestfather in Facebook- Some sort of black metal.
Get Forestfather's new album 'Hereafter' here!
Kveldulf's various stuff in Soundcloud
Vahşet in ReverbNation - Death metal


Last edited by Kveldulfr on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
lifelessworlds
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:18 am
Posts: 118
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:30 am 
 

Matti is a year later. Only person I can see from googling is Erik Rutan?

^^^ to the above post: Jörgen Sandström is a possibility, he's also a Swede and been in the scene for a long time.

Top
 Profile  
ENKC
Veteran

Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:28 pm
Posts: 2717
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:48 am 
 

I'm guessing it's not Attila, Fenriz or Randy Blythe. Beyond that, I've got nothing.

Oh, and here's an article.

http://www.nocleansinging.com/2014/02/2 ... -vocalist/
_________________
John_Sunlight wrote:
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Top
 Profile  
Bishop_Drugsalot
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:42 am
Posts: 216
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:12 pm 
 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Jörgen Sandström? He even played on Entombed. Just look the profile pic of the band.

He would be a perfect fit.
I mean, the Death Breath vox he did are insane!

Top
 Profile  
Folkemon_
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:43 pm
Posts: 2116
Location: England
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:30 pm 
 

Didnt they say it was someone who'd been out of the game for a while? i dont think he has.
_________________
You are still the number one, wilderness my soul.

Top
 Profile  
Machine_Dead
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:47 pm
Posts: 690
Location: Belgium
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:32 pm 
 

For a moment I thought it was Nicke Andersson, then i noticed he's from 1972 not 1971, way to get my hopes up :D
_________________
WWLD wrote:
Death metal and strip clubs are bad. 9 out of 10 people who like them carry string around with them. I read it in a survey

Maquina_Muerte's Last.fm
The Hazard Zone - 2013: A Death Metal Year In Review

Top
 Profile  
Helvede
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:28 pm
Posts: 1419
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:51 pm 
 

Johan Jansson from Centinex maybe? According to the beloved MA, he's a '71.

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6484
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:57 pm 
 

Helvede wrote:
Johan Jansson from Centinex maybe? According to the beloved MA, he's a '71.

Could be him. He's an old school player as well, having sung and played guitar on Interment demos and such.
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
puggy
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:08 am
Posts: 70
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:00 am 
 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Jörgen Sandström? He even played on Entombed. Just look the profile pic of the band.


They released that Left Hand Path tribute shirt around August, and a Leprosy tribute shirt a while before that - so I don't think the profile pic has anything to do with the new vocalist.
_________________
Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
kreatorfan87
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:17 am
Posts: 46
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:46 am 
 

My vote goes to Jörgen Sandström.

Top
 Profile  
satanscurse
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:03 am
Posts: 115
Location: Denmark
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:15 am 
 

If it was LG I would probably be interested.

Top
 Profile  
The Lions Den
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:12 am
Posts: 908
Location: Italy
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:48 am 
 

Helvede wrote:
Johan Jansson from Centinex maybe? According to the beloved MA, he's a '71.

Hope not, his attitude/vocals don't fit the need for Bloodbath.

Sandstrom or even LG do.
_________________
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex…every sort of filth. And ya hate the police, don't ya?"

"You make it easy."

Top
 Profile  
kiekan66
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:37 pm
Posts: 63
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:17 pm 
 

Helvede wrote:
Johan Jansson from Centinex maybe? According to the beloved MA, he's a '71.


Didn't the band say the vocalist was someone who has been 'out of the game for a while'? Jansson has been pretty consistently active.

The Lions Den wrote:
Helvede wrote:
Johan Jansson from Centinex maybe? According to the beloved MA, he's a '71.

Hope not, his attitude/vocals don't fit the need for Bloodbath.

Sandstrom or even LG do.


How do you figure? From the interview excerpt that true_death posted, I'd say he fits pretty well for what Bloodbath is going for.
_________________
"From dusk to dawn. That's when we arise.
All souls forlorn, come down from the skies.
We're called the mist by the human race.
But we do exist in a million ways."

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], ThanatosUK and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group