Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:28 pm 

Someone said George Fisher in the comments in that article linked as a potential vocalist
...boy wouldn't that be bizzare
0_o

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:11 pm 

His vocals would just plain not fit the kind of death metal Bloodbath do. I cannot see him in that band.
Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:17 pm 

I know, bizzare indeed xD

BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:13 pm 

Evoken wrote:
I'm glad Mikael isn't coming back for this new Bloodbath album. His death vocals lately have been atrocious. Weak, hoarse, and just pathetic. He ruined Bloodbath's last live DVD (and Opeth's Royal Albert Hall DVD) because he sounded so terrible. It's a shame too, since he used to have some of the best growls in metal.

It'll be interesting to see who they pick to replace him. Dan Swano could probably do it for the album, but I'm not sure he could pull it off live. I can see it being Peter again, but who knows if he's interested.

He probably just got old.

Which makes me wonder how the hell Peter from Vader is still kicking. He's turning 48 in a month.

This would probably be a good time to listen to The Fathlomless Mastery. I enjoyed the first three Bloodbath releases to varying degrees.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:43 pm 

Mikael just stopped caring about his growls. This happened right after Peter Lindgren left Opeth, and Mikael said many times in interviews that he was on the verge of disbanding Opeth over it, so the decline of his once impeccable harsh voice is most likely related to that.
Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

Kveldulfr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:53 am 

Marc Grewe might be a fine vocalist for Bloodbath. Nystrom said 'he still has it' so it's not Mike.
Vahşet in ReverbNation - Death metal

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:24 am 

Dan Swano is the only way to be...

"You make it easy."

treghet6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:12 am 

Subrick wrote:
Mikael just stopped caring about his growls. This happened right after Peter Lindgren left Opeth, and Mikael said many times in interviews that he was on the verge of disbanding Opeth over it, so the decline of his once impeccable harsh voice is most likely related to that.

In an interview he said that he began using an in-ear monitor and it sounded different than what he was used to. He was trying to compensate but didn't realize how he sounded until after the fact, so he has since gone back to using stage monitors.

tomcat_ha
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:50 am 

ive seen more live videos than just that and it was obvious he deteriorated on those too. Heck you can even hear it on the last bloodbath album..

might it actually be related to becoming better and better as a clean singer?

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:33 am 

I'm not really sure about Mikael's growls being so "bad" though... I've sort of lost count how many times I've watched/listened to the Opeth RAH release, and pretty much the only song which leaves a bit to be desired vocal-wise is Dirge For November (I really miss the ultra-low, warm growl of the original there). Besides that, his style is different, but it still sounds deep and powerful as fuck. He's no longer 30 years old of course and it's not exactly the same, but I don't really get all these doomsday visions in this thread. Also, saw Opeth live in early 2012, and really couldn't complain about his growls either.

As for Bloodbath, I remember I read somewhere (I have literally no clue where atm) that when Anders was asked if the new singer is someone known, he replied "He's a legend". I really can't recall where I read that though.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:48 am 

That was an interesting read, full frontal I might say. So, the new singer's a "part of a legendary band" and he "proved that he still has it". So I guess we're talking about a guy that's been out of the scene for long but that is recognized for something old, although as part of the interview says he may not be that high profile since "the kids wouldn't deem him fit for Bloodbath".

Interesting... :scratch:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:57 pm 

Martin Van Drunen.

COMA VOID | GLOAMING | FAUSTIAN ORBS

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:04 pm 

Based on the Comecon project, well it could be.... BUT... why would Bloodbath break the combo of replacing the vocalist with someone non-Swedish.. I though the essence of Bloodbath is that it is a Swedish all-star lineup?

L-G Petrov (Entombed) could be a good possibility... He was also part of the Comecon project, so he's not afraid of doing stuff separate of Entombed... He's Swedish and he's pretty much a legend.. Also, it's not that Entombed is really touring that much, i think he could allow the gaps to be filled with another band..

My bet is, it will be L-G Petrov...

btw maybe Bloodbath was hinting that all along with their Left Hand Path tribute shirts... ????

Maquina_Muerte's Last.fm
The Hazard Zone - 2013: A Death Metal Year In Review

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:55 pm 

I miss Peter for this band, and hope they go back to their second album sound, it kicks serious ass
Not hearsay but the will of man

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:19 pm 

It definitely isn't going to be Petrov since Entombed are about to release a new album and have been more active lately than they have been in the past few years. He doesn't really have any ties to the band, not to mention his shout-growled vocals wouldn't be the best fit I don't think. I hope it's Peter, but frankly I don't really care. Probably won't end up listening to it more than once or twice, though I'd like to be pleasantly surprised.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:07 pm 

Razakel wrote:
It definitely isn't going to be Petrov since Entombed are about to release a new album and have been more active lately than they have been in the past few years.

I was thinking the same. No way it's LG.

iamntbatman wrote:
Martin Van Drunen.

Wut? Have you been reading? :scratch:

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:16 pm 

It might actually be Matti Kärki. He's not in any active band at the moment. Sang in a legendary band, but may not be highly esteemed by 'kids'.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:18 pm 

That's the safest bet but from that interview with Anders I get the feeling it could be someone less known.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:24 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Martin Van Drunen.

"You make it easy."

cobaltblue
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:44 pm 

Got an odd feeling in might be Orvar Säfström. If memory serves Nirvana 2002 broke up again last year and it would make sense if he was interested in getting back into the scene again. Hits a few points they teased - legendary band (at least in Swedeath circles) and not as well know (if at all) by the 'kids' today.

Just my 2 cents.

tomcat_ha
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:19 pm 

hmmm that makes quite a bit of sense.
I think we are better of speculating about a vocalist then from the old days who kinda dropped off.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:22 pm 

Yeah, that actually does make a lot of sense. That would be cool to hear, especially if they're serious about making this album a bit grittier than past work. That would certainly spark my interest more than another shiny Mikael-fronted album.

Also, The Lions Den, it's ok. The world needs bad taste like yours to balance things out lest we forget the real value of quality.

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:22 pm 

Isn't Van Drunen busy with Asphyx and Hail of Bullets?

It wouldn't surprise me if Bloodbath tapped some old, forgotten name in death metal.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:26 pm 

I wasn't suggesting it as a probability. It would just be cool as hell, is all.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:12 pm 

p0wnn00b wrote:
Isn't Van Drunen busy with Asphyx and Hail of Bullets?

...and with Grand Supreme Blood Court

Maquina_Muerte's Last.fm
The Hazard Zone - 2013: A Death Metal Year In Review

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:03 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Yeah, that actually does make a lot of sense. That would be cool to hear, especially if they're serious about making this album a bit grittier than past work. That would certainly spark my interest more than another shiny Mikael-fronted album.

Also, The Lions Den, it's ok. The world needs bad taste like yours to balance things out lest we forget the real value of quality.

:ah-ha:

Bloodbath needs a deep growl vocalist like Swano or Akerfeldt and not an harsh/strident one like Van Drunen.

"You make it easy."

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:09 pm 

The Lions Den wrote:

Bloodbath needs a deep growl vocalist like Swano or Akerfeldt and not an harsh/strident one like Van Drunen.

I would not point fingers like that because I think you`ll find you are in the minority when it comes to Van Drunen`s vocals. Swano is great of course but so is Martin, and I for one would find that mixture extremely intriguing.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:14 pm 

That weird Project Hate band doesn't really tour, does it? I was pondering the possibility of Jorgen Sandstrom. He's way deeper and less articulate than either of Bloodbath's past voices, but if indeed they're going for a more "necro" sound on the next album, it could work and sound pretty hellish.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:17 pm 

The Lions Den wrote:

You listen to Six Feet Under.

Master_Debater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:22 pm 

DeathfareDevil wrote:
That weird Project Hate band doesn't really tour, does it? I was pondering the possibility of Jorgen Sandstrom. He's way deeper and less articulate than either of Bloodbath's past voices, but if indeed they're going for a more "necro" sound on the next album, it could work and sound pretty hellish.

I've mentioned Jorgen before as a great fit, but under no circumstances is he "less articulate." His growls are some of the easiest ones to decipher in death metal.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:38 pm 

Master_Debater wrote:
I've mentioned Jorgen before as a great fit, but under no circumstances is he "less articulate." His growls are some of the easiest ones to decipher in death metal.

True. Somehow between my head and the keyboard "deeper vox bordering on brutal death style" turned into "less articulate." Definitely not the case. I was even listening to Project Hate at the time! I had no idea they'd still been releasing albums consistently; last I'd heard was, like, five albums ago. Considering the unchanging nature of their music, though, I'm not sure I need to catch up.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:08 pm 

Machine_Dead wrote:

btw maybe Bloodbath was hinting that all along with their Left Hand Path tribute shirts... ????

They've also released a Leprosy homage/tribute shirt.

I'm going with Chuck Schuldiner as the new vocalist.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

omikiron666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:07 pm 

Going with several others and hoping Jorgen Sandstrom is the vocalist. Another surprise could be Masse Broberg. I liked his vocals on God Among Insects. I think he is in Witchery at the moment.

kiekan66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:40 pm 

p0wnn00b wrote:
Bringing in Swano for a production/mixtering job would be sweet. He's done a great job with Torture Division's demos.

This will never happen. Blakkheim and Renske kicked Swano out of the band. I remember the shitstorm that happened between Dan's forum and the Bloodbath forums at the time. Blakkheim and Renske couldn't even be bothered to call him (when they lived in the next town over at the time), and instead sent him an informal e-mail booting him from the band. Their reasoning: they wanted to go heavier (ironic because he wrote a lot of the heavier songs on Nightmares Made Flesh and made a point to say he was using the band to write stuff like that), instead of melodic/proggy, which they feared he was going to do. And the second reason: he didn't want/have time to do a tour. Funny, since Bloodbath STILL hasn't done a single tour.
But we do exist in a million ways."

MaskedJackal23
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:41 am 

Niiiiceeee! I havnt listened to Bloodbath in a few years, I forgot about these guys. I have some catching up to do.

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:39 am 

ENKC wrote:
Machine_Dead wrote:

They've also released a Leprosy homage/tribute shirt.

I'm going with Chuck Schuldiner as the new vocalist.

Oh wow, the answer's been staring us all in the face this whole time!

Marc grewe would be pretty interesting, but that's obviously not gonna happen. Really hoping for Matti Kärki.

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:12 pm 

Dan Swano, end thread already!! haha
Not hearsay but the will of man

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:59 pm 

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Swano doesn't want to do vocals anymore after Edge of Sanity.

Also, I saw Opeth in August and Akerfeldt's vocals were completely spot on, both harsh and cleans. I've seen all the videos that you've seen of his growls sounding like shit, but what can I say, he must have had a good night. I still don't really want him to come back to Bloodbath, since he's emphasized over and over that he feels no affinity with extreme metal anymore, so it just wouldn't make sense.

true_death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:44 pm 

Razakel wrote:
since he's emphasized over and over that he feels no affinity with extreme metal anymore, so it just wouldn't make sense.

I get the feeling that he's lying about that, actually. I read a recent interview (from around when "Heritage" came out) where he says he was "finished" with metal before Opeth had even released "Orchid"...but when you read older interviews from just a few years ago, he generally comes across as a down to earth, laid-back "metal guy", and has no problem talking about death metal specifically, in a very positive and un-pretentious light. I even watched another interview from 2011 or 2012 where he wore a Sarcofago shirt and admitted that he was a "huge death metal fan". I don't know...he's a talented guy, but I guess I prefer metal musicians who are humble and excited about their music, rather than high-minded and embarrassed by it for whatever reason.

Razakel wrote:
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Swano doesn't want to do vocals anymore after Edge of Sanity.

Well, he sang on that Witherscape album this year. His only problem is that he can't do growls for a great length of time. He can only do a few lines before he loses his voice. As previously stated, he did a lot of growls on that Witherscape album, and some insane guest vocals for Hail of Bullets on "Ordered Eastward" and Entrails on "Eaten by the Dead" (the latter of which is one of my favorite guest vocal spots ever).

NARAKU666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:51 am 

As a Dismember dick-rider to see Matti with Bloodbath would be the second coolest thing ever (the first, of course, Dismember reforming)

http://www.facebook.com/NARAKU666

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next