Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:46 pm 

re: the Death Ressurected "Fuck You Die!" song (Video posted above:)

G, B flat, C. G, B flat, C. Chug away at these three chords over and over for three minutes= Instant song. After 25 years, that's the best John Hand can come up with? Sad.... I have a feeling that song was just a "joke track" written spur of the moment style, and hopefully not a true demonstration of his maximum songwriting ability! That guy Brian on drums: I actually remember Brian Miller and Burnt Offering, I used to listen to their demo and kind of dug it. Although I think he was the vocalist for that band and not the drummer; Burnt Offering had a couple different guys on drums (including Chris Reifert at one point) during their existance.

Bogdaniel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:05 pm 

Machine_Dead wrote:
- is the next Necrophagist album ever gonna happen ???

Pretty much this. I adore Onset of Putrefaction and consider it of my favorite albums of all time, and I thought Epitaph was really good as well. I am hoping for a new release, but I doubt it will happen at this point.

However, I read this from a website that had a Necrophagist bio not too long ago, saying:

"According to former drummer Marco Minneman there is progress on a new album saying "I know people are waiting for the new Necro album so bad. Muhammed is a very close friend of mine and I know he's really concerned about delivering the best album possible. But I personally know there's progress....hang on in there, I'm sure he'll deliver the goods." - Marco Minneman, August 2012"

I want to think this is true, but I'm not too sure...

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:13 pm 

Apparently there is a facebook page dedicated to getting Roy to come out with a solo project. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roy-Khan ... 0967367374 it's a bit sad really. Sure Roy was fucking great and Kamelot won't be the same but the dude probably just needs time off.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:24 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:
This is one that puzzles me. I also read the "got tired of" part, but then he pretty much vanished from existence thereafter. You can't just disappear if you're Roy Khan, a vocalist who was on top of the power metal world.

As far as I know it was a religious thing, like he joined some sort of group or something; that was what I was hearing a lot when he left Kamelot.

I mean, I can't fault the guy for doing what he wanted to do, but coming from me... ugh. Another one lost to religion.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

metallicbloodfire666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:31 am 

will we ever see the sins of thy beloved again?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:34 am 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
Apparently there is a facebook page dedicated to getting Roy to come out with a solo project. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roy-Khan ... 0967367374 it's a bit sad really. Sure Roy was fucking great and Kamelot won't be the same but the dude probably just needs time off.

Good thing then that they got a guy that sounds almost exactly like him as the replacement.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:42 am 

Tengan wrote:
Ill-Starred Son wrote:
As for me, it might not be considered a "metal" mystery because it has to do with an actual crime, but I've always been fascinated by the Bodom Lake murders and I still wonder who committed those crimes.

I've read everything I could find on the internet and there's really very little out there to suggest who might have been guilty and it's still an unsolved crime.

Also, there had been rumors that the one kid who survived the murder went crazy and was in a mental institutiion and could not remember what happened, but I heard that that was a story made up by Children of Bodom and that he's actually a normal guy living in Finland. However, if that's the case I wonder why no one has ever asked him about his account of what happened the night of the murders??

Also, I have heard there is a book about the murders, but have been COMPLETELY unable to find it, in fact, I've been unable to even find examples of it being mentioned more than once or twice in passing on the internet.

Does anyone know anything more about the crime and does anyone possibly know where to find the book that was written about the murders???

The survivor at the time claimed he had no recollection of the events and might have spent some time getting therapy for getting over these events. A few years back fresh DNA evidence were put forth actually proving he actually went nuts that night and committed the murders! He still claims having no recollection of it though. What happens since is beyond me. There have been no reports of a trial or further investigation reports. But CoB did dedicate a song to the guy at a concert the very night after all this was brought up claiming they had found the killer at last. I am utterly surprised you haven't found anything about this on the internet though.

As for a book on the subject you have to bear in mind that in the Nordic countries we aren't really that obsessed with murders and horrific acts as you Americans :) Had this taken place in the US I am sure there would have been tons of books on the subject but in this case it is unlikely you will find one.

Holy shit, I can't believe I hadn't heard about this!!

Now I'm definitely going to need to look this up online...

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:45 am 

Tired wrote:
Tengan wrote:
The survivor at the time claimed he had no recollection of the events and might have spent some time getting therapy for getting over these events. A few years back fresh DNA evidence were put forth actually proving he actually went nuts that night and committed the murders! He still claims having no recollection of it though. What happens since is beyond me. There have been no reports of a trial or further investigation reports. But CoB did dedicate a song to the guy at a concert the very night after all this was brought up claiming they had found the killer at last. I am utterly surprised you haven't found anything about this on the internet though.

As for a book on the subject you have to bear in mind that in the Nordic countries we aren't really that obsessed with murders and horrific acts as you Americans :) Had this taken place in the US I am sure there would have been tons of books on the subject but in this case it is unlikely you will find one.

The guy (Nils Gustafsson) was freed, mostly because they didn't have good enough evidence, and the cops screwed some things up. It's quite possible he did it, but yeah, he's been free for years now.

Oh wait...see I knew that, and I think I'd read that in reality people thought he probably didn't do it.

No one ever made it sound like it was clear cut and dry case where real DNA evidence was presented as the other poster said.

If DNA evidence WAS in fact produced, I'd buy it as real proof.

Perhaps the mystery continues?...

Tengan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:12 am 

By the time the DNA evidence were put forth the media made it sound as a done deal. Which then apparently was not the case when it was brought up in court. However, such a case could have been brought down simply due to some handling errors with the evidence/DNA. Like I said, all I posted was what I heard at the time and I didn't follow the development. There should be medial records of all this and it would be a bit interesting to know how it developed from initial evidence to the court.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:54 am 

My pick for the Bodom lake murders would be the man who had a kiosk nearby. He was known to hate campers. But he's long gone by now (drowned himself), so who knows.

DreamOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:02 am 

How old is Terry Jones from Pagan Altar? On the archives page it is stated that the is the father of Alan Jones, who is 50 at the moment, and on the band page it is said: "Born: England (Before Christ)". So I suppose he must be at least 70 years old, if not older...

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:23 am 

Awesome thread.
I've only got two that haven't come up

- Where the fuck's my third album, Hyatari?

- Why do Sadistik Exekution keep breaking up? :(

Crystal_Logic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:30 am 

DreamOfDarkness wrote:
How old is Terry Jones from Pagan Altar? On the archives page it is stated that the is the father of Alan Jones, who is 50 at the moment, and on the band page it is said: "Born: England (Before Christ)". So I suppose he must be at least 70 years old, if not older...

Having met Pagan Altar several times I can confirm that he is old as fuck.

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:11 am 

This is probably the most recent thing I've heard/seen from Khan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZcVWMEqCH0

He's singing "A Sailorman's Hymn" at a wedding.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:24 am 

Man that was good. So inspiring.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:31 am 

Those wondering about Roy Khan should read this. It's by the promoter of Prog-Power USA fest, who is very close with Kamelot:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/prog ... ation.html
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:27 am 

metallicbloodfire666 wrote:
will we ever see the sins of thy beloved again?

I'm with you on that one.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:28 am 

Deucalion wrote:
This is probably the most recent thing I've heard/seen from Khan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZcVWMEqCH0

He's singing "A Sailorman's Hymn" at a wedding.

Without any of the production tweaks he still sounds amazing. He'll definitely be missed.
Element_man wrote:
Those wondering about Roy Khan should read this. It's by the promoter of Prog-Power USA fest, who is very close with Kamelot:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/prog ... ation.html

Reading this sure wasn't what I thought before, though.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:23 pm 

To the guy that wanted new agent steel music. They put an E.P. out a month or two ago under the name Masters of Metal.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:28 pm 

Was John Cyriis actually abducted by aliens?

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:07 pm 

Another mystery...what's up with Lost Horizon?

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:16 pm 

Bogdaniel wrote:
Machine_Dead wrote:
- is the next Necrophagist album ever gonna happen ???

Pretty much this. I adore Onset of Putrefaction and consider it of my favorite albums of all time, and I thought Epitaph was really good as well. I am hoping for a new release, but I doubt it will happen at this point.

However, I read this from a website that had a Necrophagist bio not too long ago, saying:

"According to former drummer Marco Minneman there is progress on a new album saying "I know people are waiting for the new Necro album so bad. Muhammed is a very close friend of mine and I know he's really concerned about delivering the best album possible. But I personally know there's progress....hang on in there, I'm sure he'll deliver the goods." - Marco Minneman, August 2012"

I want to think this is true, but I'm not too sure...

Yeah, that as almost a year ago though.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:18 pm 

Here's one I've had for a while.

For anyone who has heard the earliest Jacula albums from 1969-the early 70s or Antonius Rex's first album/albums from around 1974, how is it physically possible that music that heavy could have been written in the late 60s early 70s???

I mean, that was another thread I was thinking of starting at one point, because I don't know a whole lot about music theory and technology, but I would assume that certain types of guitars, amps, pedals and other technology were created at some point, probably in the 80s as that is when EXTREME music really began, that made it possible for TRULY heavy extreme metal to be played.

And I would assume whatever guitar or musical technology that made extreme metal possible did not exist in the late 60s/early 70s because literally NO Other music existed that was as heavy as Jacula or Antonius Rex, other than one other band, called Supernaut, who is another "mystery" band to me.

For anyone who has heard the album, it came out in 1974 and was on the Kissing Spell label, written by a band called "Supernaut" who supposedly formed in england in 73, and broke up in 75.

Again, the album is heavier than anything else written at that era, and I have heard rumors that Kissing Spell has some fake artists that they claim to be from an earlier time, perhaps this is one.

So yeah...does anyone have any answers as to how it's possible that the Jacula, Antonius Rex and Supernaut albums could have been as heavy as they are and written that early on???

I mean, Jacula and Antonius Rex albums have black metal riffs that would not sound out of place on albums from the 2000s.

I simply refuse to believe that those riffs were written in the late 60s/early 70s and sounded like that at that point in time cause I don't think the technology existed.

I think the band members must have gone back and reissued those albums with new guitar put in.

And has anyone else on here heard of Supernaut??

thanks

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:08 pm 

You'd be surprised ISS. Sure super high gain amps hadn't been invented back then, but fuzz pedals had been, Les Pauls aren't exactly weak ass guitars and you can get a lot of distortion out of a cranked 60's marshall :) Also a lot of the effects were in use then- fuzz, tape delay, spring reverb, wah.. that has been around for some time. There was certainly the technology for something like a thrash/death band to exist in the late 60's.

I hear Supernaut mentioned now and again, haven't heard it, and all in all it sounds like a whole other Flittering deal, ie a fake, not very good band that uses early release dates to create some sort of crediblity.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:23 pm 

caspian wrote:
You'd be surprised ISS. Sure super high gain amps hadn't been invented back then, but fuzz pedals had been, Les Pauls aren't exactly weak ass guitars and you can get a lot of distortion out of a cranked 60's marshall :) Also a lot of the effects were in use then- fuzz, tape delay, spring reverb, wah.. that has been around for some time. There was certainly the technology for something like a thrash/death band to exist in the late 60's.

I hear Supernaut mentioned now and again, haven't heard it, and all in all it sounds like a whole other Flittering deal, ie a fake, not very good band that uses early release dates to create some sort of crediblity.

Yeah I think Supernaut might be fake, not sure.

But while I don't know much about the history off pedals and different types of distortion, if the technology existed for a thrash/death band to exist in the late 60s or early 70s then why are Jacula/Antonius Rex (both were started by the same guy I believe and might have the same members) the ONLY bands that sounded even REMOTELY that heavy back then???

I had asked once in the chat room about them and I think someone did in fact tell me that they heard that the band had re-recorded the albums with new guitar.

I just figured that technology never really existed.

I mean, why is it that it wasn't until the mid 80s that death, grindcore and black metal bands came into existence if they could have existed 15 years earlier?

And for that matter, if you think they could have existed in the 60s, then why couldn't we have had death metal and black metal bands in the 50s or even the 40s??

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:25 pm 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
I had asked once in the chat room about them and I think someone did in fact tell me that they heard that the band had re-recorded the albums with new guitar.

I recall reading that somewhere, too. The album was re-released with re-recorded parts, specifically the guitars for that one purpose. It is puzzling to hear that song by that kind of band using that specific distortion. Too much for coincidence, but who knows.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:59 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Ill-Starred Son wrote:

I recall reading that somewhere, too. The album was re-released with re-recorded parts, specifically the guitars for that one purpose. It is puzzling to hear that song by that kind of band using that specific distortion. Too much for coincidence, but who knows.

I'd like to be able to see where these comments come from. But I don't think Jacula and Antonius Rex had any semblence to black metal guitar, rather doom metal guitar. Pretty much pure doom metal. Hell, I think AR should be on the archives, as "doom metal (early), progressive rock" because of their 1974 album. But yeah it is amazingly heavy for that era, and sounds very modern. The Jacula one from 1969 is even more improbable, since that was basically Iommi before Iommi. It wouldn't surprise me if they had re-recorded those parts years later. But if they did that, why can't they go back to making doom metal albums??? lol

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
I'd like to be able to see where these comments come from. But I don't think Jacula and Antonius Rex had any semblence to black metal guitar, rather doom metal guitar. Pretty much pure doom metal. Hell, I think AR should be on the archives, as "doom metal (early), progressive rock" because of their 1974 album. But yeah it is amazingly heavy for that era, and sounds very modern. The Jacula one from 1969 is even more improbable, since that was basically Iommi before Iommi. It wouldn't surprise me if they had re-recorded those parts years later. But if they did that, why can't they go back to making doom metal albums??? lol

I want to say it was on youtube, but I believe it stemmed from IGN (strange, but a search also hinted to it) because of the original copies vs re-released copies. The album's original distribution was practically non-existent, so when it got re-released many years later that may (I'm just saying may) have led to room for tweaking.

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:52 am 

Quote:
Was John Cyriis actually abducted by aliens?

I don't think so he's just a crazy asshole.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:59 am 

another one:

-whether NOCTURNAL ECLIPSE's Arcane Tales of a Night Spectral Voyage actually exists as a physical full-lenght...

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:33 am 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
caspian wrote:

Yeah I think Supernaut might be fake, not sure.

But while I don't know much about the history off pedals and different types of distortion, if the technology existed for a thrash/death band to exist in the late 60s or early 70s then why are Jacula/Antonius Rex (both were started by the same guy I believe and might have the same members) the ONLY bands that sounded even REMOTELY that heavy back then???

I just figured that technology never really existed.

I mean, why is it that it wasn't until the mid 80s that death, grindcore and black metal bands came into existence if they could have existed 15 years earlier?

And for that matter, if you think they could have existed in the 60s, then why couldn't we have had death metal and black metal bands in the 50s or even the 40s??

People most likely just weren't thinking about music like that back then. In the '40s and '50s what was the most progressive and extreme for of music? It was mostly gospel, swing, and bluegrass stuff for most of the '40s then then folk and early country with pop and rock 'n roll emerging in the '50s. It's like asking why somebody like Elvis didn't come along in the '20s or '30s. Somebody has to be the first to inspire everyone else to push the boundaries even more. And after Elvis did his thing there's a pretty clear progression to where we are at today.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:24 pm 

What caused Kittil Kittilsen to become a hardcore anti-rock band christian?

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:52 pm 

I dunno spefically in his case, but a lot of the reasons people do that- they get freaked out. They may have a scary near-death experience, sometimes induced by drugs, and see and experience some really scary shit. Like that DWarr guy, who made some really freaky, psychedelic acid rock/metal albums in the 80's. And, after a horrifically bad acid trip where he saw visions of hell, was so freaked out that he burned all his records and became a born again Christian. Maybe it was something like that, who knows.

A lot of guys get fucked up with drugs and turn to hardcore religion- the more hardcore the better- because it offers them the discipline they feel they need to stay off of drugs and, well, not kill themselves with them. That is partly the Mustaine excuse, and I believe one of the Limp Bizkit guys became "Born Again" for that reason as well.

So with Kittilsen, who knows; I would guess it was one of these two reasons?

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:08 pm 

Meh, I'd write it down to a weak-mindedness often found in religious people everywhere. Fear of hell after indoctrination by brainwashed parents.
Nobody will ever know, though.

nekrobogan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:26 pm 

_MFMGW_ wrote:
Awesome thread.

- Why do Sadistik Exekution keep breaking up? :(

having played with kriss hades and seen the inner turmoil between the band members its preety clear why....

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:15 pm 

People most likely just weren't thinking about music like that back then. In the '40s and '50s what was the most progressive and extreme for of music? It was mostly gospel, swing, and bluegrass stuff for most of the '40s then then folk and early country with pop and rock 'n roll emerging in the '50s. It's like asking why somebody like Elvis didn't come along in the '20s or '30s. Somebody has to be the first to inspire everyone else to push the boundaries even more. And after Elvis did his thing there's a pretty clear progression to where we are at today.[/quote]

I'm sure that's true that no one was thinking about making heavy music back then, but are you saying you acutally think it was PHYSICALLY possible and that the technology existed to make music that sounds as modern and extreme as modern death and black metal in the 40s, 50s, or even 60 or 70s??

I don't know man, I mean I only played guitar for a few years and know jack shit about music theory or what REALLY goes into making metal (or any music for that matter) "heavy" in particular the guitars and bass, as that is where most of the "heavy" sound in metal comes from, but I am going to make a strong guess that whatever guitar technology makes music like Immolation, Emperor and Necrophagist (just random modern examples heavy) just simply did not exist in the 40s, 50s or 60s.

I don't think it's a coincidence that there was some early metal in the 60s and 70s but that truly EXTREME metal did not exist till the mid 80s.

I am assuming that some kind of new guitar technology, maybe different types of pedals, amps etc, came into existence in the 80s that was not around before.

Likewise, metal has just gotten heavier and heavier since the 80s and 90s and more modern sounding.

Since technological innovations are constantly being added these days, I am assuming that it wasn't possible to create the death metal or black metal sound in the 50s or 60s.

I think that before the first extreme metal bands like Bathory, Sodom, Death, Necrophagia, Master, Napalm Death etc....that music like that wasn't really possible to make.

Otherwise, why wouldn't there have been even ONE band in the NWOBHM that would have been really extreme sounding?

It was all just traditional Heavy Metal, Power Metal and a little Doom and Early Thrash.

Hell, Venom was heavy for the late 70s early 80s.

Anyone else know what music technology might have come about in the 80s to make the "extreme" sound possible??

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:22 pm 

Riffs wrote:
Les Binks: Why would Judas Priest fire a drummer because he was too good and then hire a child molestor? And why didn't someone else snatch Binks, who was quite a drummer for his time?

I never knew the story behind his leaving, I thought he quit. He did join NWOBHM act Tytan and recorded on their album, which is a superb slab of NWOBHM. I think that child molester comment is a bit harsh, considering there is no way the band could have known what would happen 25 years later.

NARAKU666 wrote:
What happened to Sanjiv, the mysterious hindu guy from Carcass

If you have ever heard that recording with Sanjiv, you'll understand that it was in everyones best interest if Sanjiv left the world of music behind.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:16 pm 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
Since technological innovations are constantly being added these days, I am assuming that it wasn't possible to create the death metal or black metal sound in the 50s or 60s.

You are way too hung up on technology. If you are a guitarist, you should know that the gear for heavy metal is Gibson Les Paul and Marshall amplifiers. The Les Paul sound saw the light of day in 1957, when the PAF humbuckers were installed into solid body guitars. The typical Marshall-sound was created in 1965 with the 100w Super Lead, played through 12" speakers. The pedals and effect racks invented after that are only used to emulate that sound basically.

It has to do with the "software", as Erosion Of Humanity stated above. There's a natural evolution in art, independent from technology. Elvis couldn't have come in any other point in time, just like thrash couldn't have. The "hardware" was there earlier, the "software" - the ideas and concepts - were not.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:47 pm 

Opus wrote:
You are way too hung up on technology. If you are a guitarist, you should know that the gear for heavy metal is Gibson Les Paul and Marshall amplifiers. The Les Paul sound saw the light of day in 1957, when the PAF humbuckers were installed into solid body guitars. The typical Marshall-sound was created in 1965 with the 100w Super Lead, played through 12" speakers.

so that basically means that it was impossible for McFly to rock his guitar the way he did in the Back To The Future movie (from 2:00 on) ? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1i5coU-0_Q

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:03 pm 

Opus wrote:
Ill-Starred Son wrote:

You are way too hung up on technology. If you are a guitarist, you should know that the gear for heavy metal is Gibson Les Paul and Marshall amplifiers. The Les Paul sound saw the light of day in 1957, when the PAF humbuckers were installed into solid body guitars. The typical Marshall-sound was created in 1965 with the 100w Super Lead, played through 12" speakers. The pedals and effect racks invented after that are only used to emulate that sound basically.

It has to do with the "software", as Erosion Of Humanity stated above. There's a natural evolution in art, independent from technology. Elvis couldn't have come in any other point in time, just like thrash couldn't have. The "hardware" was there earlier, the "software" - the ideas and concepts - were not.

Well, even though I played a little I admitted I don't know much about what makes metal truly heavy.

But I guess that answers my question, which is that the Les Paul sound responsible for making metal heavy came out in 1957, and then the Marshall sound in 1965, so I guess the metal sound would NOT have been possible before 1957, and the TRULY heavy sound not possible before 1965, and that makes perfect sense seeing as really heavy stuff, even MODERATELY heavy stuff did not exist before 1965.

The heaviest music I know of from the early 60s before 65 was the Sonics from 63. Then around 65 you had the Yardbirds, in 66 Psychedelic bands like Electric Prunes, Hunger, etc. Then the later 60s spawned early Doom metal and Proto Metal.

So, yeah, I guess Metal really wasn't too possible before 65, certainly not before 57.

I still do find it odd though that there wasn't ONE SINGLE band prior to around 82....the better part of 20 years after the Marshall amp was created, and 25 after the LEs Paul, that had the extreme metal sound.

I understand what you are saying about "software" if what you mean is "influence from bands doing that kind of thing"....but I still think there would have been ONE guy somewhere who experimented in the late 60s and got a true black metal or death metal sound while messing around.

There's too many people in the world too assume that someone didn't, but maybe the music they made just never saw the light of day.

Who knows.

What I am also wondering is, was there any new Guitar technology introduced in the 80s that might have had a major impact on extreme metal??

I'm still assuming there must have been to help with the creation of bands like Hellhammer, Mayhem, Master, Necrophagia, etc.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next