Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic

Who do you prefer? add comments in the thread.
Iron Maiden 71%  71%  [ 110 ]
Judas Priest 29%  29%  [ 44 ]
Total votes : 154
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:10 pm 

Eh_Timeghoul wrote:
+Slayer tried to be them, that has to count for something

Weren't Slayer also trying for Killers era Maiden on Show No Mercy, though?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:53 pm 

t1337Dude wrote:
It's not like I seek bands that sound exclusively like Iron Maiden either. They're simply my preference. Maybe Judas Priest had blatantly more influence on speed metal - but really, how much of metal being released these days is speed metal?

But if we were to pointlessly argue about influence, I'm not really seeing anyone make any compelling arguments about why they think Judas Priest is more influential other than they influenced Iron Maiden themselves and were extremely popular at the time.

I was thinking of influence in terms of important metal bands in operation now, not really how many Judas Priest rip-offs were inspired back in the 80's. Regardless, you're right, definitely not the best way. I'd argue influence as a whole is immeasurable. But I think it's equally ridiculous to deny correlation between influence and song covers. It's plain as day there's some correlation, despite it being trivial. And while it's not a real measure of influence in any way, it at least an objective number (whatever that may be). Is it possible for a band to have been more influenced by Priest, yet only covered an Iron Maiden song? Sure, but I can't imagine it being a significant factor - if anything sounds like a self-serving counter-argument to make. You say Judas Priest likely had more influence than Iron Maiden - so I thought it'd be fair to expect at least an equal amount of tribute songs, but I haven't seen many at all. Maybe other people's metal collection is filled with more Judas Priest worship, because somehow my collection unintentionally ended up being filled with Iron Maiden worship and completely light on Judas Priest worship. I really like Judas Priest, just to a lesser extent, so it's not like I try to avoid bands that may somehow be blatantly inspired by Judas Priest. I've got infinite amounts of exploring into other genres left to do.

Well, sure, cover songs are a way for a band to show what older bands they like or which inspired them to start making music, you're right about that. I just think you're sort of tossing genres like power metal or traditional metal to the side because you don't listen to them as much. Who said "Judas Priest rip-offs"? I mean any 80s metal band, period - you can hear Priest inspired riffing, solos, tempos, vocal lines, etc., not to mention image. They were hugely influential, and in the late 90s and early 2000s there was another tremendous surge of Germanic and Swedish bands - as big as Hammerfall, Iron Savior, Paragon, etc, who are not small names - who took a lot of influence from Priest. Painkiller alone was like an amphetamine shot in the arm for the entire genre of power metal - bands like Gamma Ray and Hibria would spend years trying to do the same thing, as would many lesser known bands.

There could be less modern death and black metal influenced by Priest, but when you look at the biggest bands in those genres who actually matter (dissonant DDR stuff, technical stuff, etc), Maiden's influence doesn't show up much either.

It's good to hear you like Priest anyway though, so at least we're not just letting this devolve into quabbling about the quality of the bands. All I'm saying is Maiden and Priest both had a huge impact on the scene, whether modern extreme metal takes overt cues from them or not. Just because metal coming out today isn't as oriented toward trad or power metal doesn't diminish what Priest did...although, really, I'd say there's plenty of notable material coming out that is trad and power metal, anyway.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:39 pm 

This is a terrible choice to make.

It's Maiden for me. There is more depth to their music and the peak albums stick with me longer. Bruce would be my pick for vocalist/frontman if the show had to be good enough to save the human race from extinction. Murray/Smith are on the shortlist of the greatest complimentary guitar duo in history. Harris is Harris.

My first time seeing them was an awe inspiring experience for me. Much more than other shows I was seeing at the time. And their comeback work has been more worthwhile.

I've worn out Priest albums on cassette though. Literally 2 cassettes of Screaming for Vengeance -- gone (my intro to the band). Sad Wings was on my old record player forever. I could have glued in into place and it would have made no difference.

Who came up with this poll? Shame on you :)

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:07 pm 

Yeah on the topic of who gets covered more I have exactly twice as many Priest covers as I do Maiden ones, with 22 and 11 respectively, although like five of the former are Iron Savior alone haha.

Personally I don't thing I could actually decide between the two - Maiden are definitely more consistent as everyone else has said, but on the contrary, Priest's more varied discography makes for a more varied and eventful listening selection, so if you like at least nearly all those styles, even just up to Painkiller, they can satisfy a lot of different listening moods, whereas with Maiden I'm either in the mood for them as a whole or not, so I'm much more likely to revisit Priest than I am Maiden (though not that I need to since like any self-respecting metalhead their discography is engraved into my eardrums :D ).

Though if I got the opportunity to see either but only one of them live, possibly even if it were in both bands' respective heydays, it'd most likely be Maiden.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:32 am 

teh_Foxx0rz wrote:
Yeah on the topic of who gets covered more I have exactly twice as many Priest covers as I do Maiden ones, with 22 and 11 respectively, although like five of the former are Iron Savior alone haha.

You're right, I more than often hear Priest covers than Maiden, even tho people in general seem to prefer Maiden. That's weird actually :D

J_Ason
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:38 am 

I think you guys are overestimating the difference. There are probably about as many covers of either band; maybe Judas Priest are leading by one 109th but I'd say that's about it.

Edit: check it out, I was right!
http://www.metal-archives.com/search?se ... song_title
"I concur" -John Wilkes Booth
"I have been shot in the head, but at least I got to read that kickass blog" -Abraham Lincoln

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:21 am 

I see through your shenanigans! :-P
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:27 am 

J_Ason wrote:
I think you guys are overestimating the difference. There are probably about as many covers of either band; maybe Judas Priest are leading by one 109th but I'd say that's about it.

Edit: check it out, I was right!

5/550 = 0.00909
1/109 = 0.00917

There is no way in hell you wrote "one 109th" before the edit. :lol:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:46 am 

545/109 = 5

Priest has one 109th more than Maiden. Unless we disregard those 20 Halford songs that is.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:03 am 

inhumanist wrote:
545/109 = 5

Priest has one 109th more than Maiden. Unless we disregard those 20 Halford songs that is.

I know. What I meant was there was no way you guessed one 109th without checking first how many cover songs each had. :P

J_Ason
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:52 pm 

You guys are too clever. :-P
"I concur" -John Wilkes Booth
"I have been shot in the head, but at least I got to read that kickass blog" -Abraham Lincoln

TheGreatTrendkiller
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:14 pm 

Went with Priest, they're my all time favorite metal band. The first proper metal album I bought was Painkiller. Anyway, Priest are just the more fun band to listen to for me, I can put up any album of theirs in any mood and enjoy it, not so much with IM.

Weirdly enough, both Stained Class and Sin after Sin are not in my top 5 albums, which seems different than most peoples' opinions around here (Sad Wings is though:)). Rather, the era from Hell Bent up until Painkiller is my favorite. I feel as though the streamlining of their songwriting did wonders for them, unlike numerous other bands.

Just my two cents.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3