Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:56 pm 

translation of a swedish article piece

Quote:
Fighting on the band name
On 25 April this year received the Patent and Registration Office , PRV , an application to register the trademark " Entombed " from Petrov. Three weeks later, on 16 May, received a request for the same from Hellid .
At the end of the summer went Petrov registration through, since August 2 , he owns the rights to the brand in Sweden .
The PRV's customer service , the public has three months in which to object after a trademark registered. When that time passed must instead turn to the civil courts.
Hellids application got an injunction . This means that there were obstacles to the registration to go through, in this case that Petrov has already registered the trademark . Hellid have until November 4 to reply to the notice.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:23 am 

Then, if Alex want to put some good death metal the Ancient way, it's more simple for him to exhume Nihilist...

"You make it easy."

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:30 am 

The problem is the brand value of the name. Entombed will sell out venues whether or not the line-up contains the members that truly defined their sound. It would only make sense for them to fight for the name. The public knows Entombed. It's a household name that attracts to live shows, even people who have never bought their albums or followed the band. When a festival announces Entombed, people will go "oh, they're a kick-ass death metal band, right?". Nihilist's brand value will attract old-schoolers and enthusiasts, but the audience that musicians of their prominence wish to attract is considerably wider than merely the hardcores.

Though it may seem petty, especially since Nihilist is a much more impressive name (and "untarnished" in the underground), there are many good reasons for them to fight for the name Entombed.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:21 pm 

new Entombed track can be heard here http://www.metalinjection.net/av/heres- ... he-traitor

seems like a logical continuation to ' Serpent Saints - The Ten Amendments'

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:40 pm 

Anyone know if Alex Hellid met that Nov. 4th deadline? I just want all this dumb legal back-and-forth from getting in the way of the proper Entombed getting off the ground. That preview track was...ok. It felt like it was moving slower than its own tempo a lot of times.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

controlledbleeding
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:48 pm 

I thought Serpent Saints was ok so I will check the new one out... I dont give a shit about the Clandestine thing... it is stupid

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:10 pm 

It could be interesting if they would do something truely in that old school Entombed style (maybe call the project 'Clandestine' ? ;) ), but to reunite just to do those Clandestine songs with orchestrations etc. seems a bit silly imo

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:02 am 

I doubt Alex would go through all of the trouble of fighting for the rights to the band's name if the orchestra shows were the only thing on their horizon. If that were the case they'd be pulling a "The Church of Pungent Stench" or "Nocturnus AD" or something.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:40 am 

That track reminded me just why I haven't gotten round to checking out latter day Entombed. I didn't like it. Regarding the other band, well, I'm not too keen again on orchestras and such things but if they can get something going beyond that and come up with original material, that might be interesting.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:34 pm 

Is Nicke supposed to sing while playing drums on that show? or are they getting someone else to do one of them.

As for the Death Breath record. They only had the vocals left to record back in September 2010!!! That's over 3 years ago, must have been really hard vocals to do. Maybe they'll do a 360 and release it as Entombed/Nihilist record, with Uffe and Hellid material added. Would be really strange thing to do, but who knows.

Anyway I am more exited over the Nicke, Hellid & Uffe group. As I have Always liked everything Nicke has done.

~Guest 40855
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:19 pm 

Just read that Nicke Andersson was forced to drop off the Entombed show with the symphony orchestra i february 2014, because he's doing a tour with his current band Imperial State Electric and he's being secretive about the Entombed situation.

-I have to say I have no comments until this shit is fixed. Let's say it's a "soup", says the former drummer.

-I think it would be pretty silly. One can think that "it's only Rock n Roll", but then.. "nah"

Source (Swedish only):
http://ltz.se/kulturnoje/1.6555629-ento ... -en-soppa-

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:32 pm 

You've got to be shitting me. So, are Entombed playing Clandestine without Nicke or what?

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:08 pm 

funny how some online magazines already have the promo copies for the new Entombed for months now (I shit you not!), and the rest of us will just have to wait for the damn cd to be released in February :D

translation of the article above for those interested;

Quote:
The new album would be called "Back to the front" and become Entombeds tenth studio album. When promotional material was sent to the press, we had question marks: guitarist Alex Hellids name was missing. Suddenly shot up and release around the same time it was announced that guitarist Alex Hellid was no longer with the band.

Hellid was with the singer LG Petrow the only remaining original member of Entombed and in this position, booked a concert with Entombed and Gävle Symphony Orchestra.

But members of the band who will perform in Gävle are not those who have recorded a new album, but named Alex Hellid, Nicke Andersson and Uffe Cederlund, all members of Entombed at its inception in 1989. Now there were thus two different Entombed.

Nick Anderson has been forced to drop out of the unique concert because he's going on tour with Imperial State Electric and is secretive about what happens to his old band.

- I have to say no comment until this shit is fixed. Let's say it's a soup, saying the former Entombed drummer.

How would you feel about a situation where there are two bands named Entombed?

- I think that it would be pretty silly. One thinks that "it's only rock n 'roll," but then - "the next ..."

FACTS
Nicke Andersson
Is 41-year-old musician and songwriter from Stockholm.
Previously: Best known from the bands Entombed, Hellacopters and Imperial State Electric, but has appeared in more than 100 different releases with a wide variety of bands. Nicke Andersson began his career as a drummer and songwriter in Entombed. The Hellacopters, he worked as a songwriter, singer and guitarist and the role of frontman, he has retained in his latest band Imperial State Electric.
Current: The Imperial State Electric, which released the album "Reptile Brain music" and draws on tour in Europe and Sweden during the winter.
The new album would be called "Back to the front" and become Entombeds tenth studio album. When promotional material was sent to the press, we had question marks: guitarist Alex Hellids name was missing. Suddenly shot up and release around the same time it was announced that guitarist Alex Hellid was no longer with the band.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:10 pm 

I don't get it. Do Swedes hate soup?

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:30 pm 

btw, for those that missed it (since the original video was taken down) here's Entombed's new song off their upcoming album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYOqrvjpOug

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:09 am 

iamntbatman wrote:

assuming the word is used similarly to how it's used in finnish - it refers to the situation being a mess (because everything is all mixed up rather randomly in a soup)

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:21 am 

Machine_Dead wrote:
btw, for those that missed it (since the original video was taken down) here's Entombed's new song off their upcoming album

Oh, the song title fits so better to them.

"You make it easy."

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:03 pm 

joppek wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:

assuming the word is used similarly to how it's used in finnish - it refers to the situation being a mess (because everything is all mixed up rather randomly in a soup)

It could have just meant "coup" - the act of a swift takeover.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:10 pm 

joppek is right:

http://ltz.se/kulturnoje/1.6555629-entombed-ar-en-soppa

The phrase was translated from "låt oss säga att det är en soppa".

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:13 pm 

Machine_Dead wrote:

Song is terrible and I have no hope that any other version of Entombed will make anything as good as the first two Entombed albums.

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:53 pm 

orvar safstrom for nicke/uffe/alex version of entombed please

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:15 pm 

Entombed is totally the Metallica of death metal:

- Debut album is a classic, masterpiece which set the groundwork for the genre ("Left Hand Path" and "Kill 'em All")
- Second album continues the style but features more mature songwriting ("Clandestine" and the last three 80's Metallica albums)
- The band hits it big with an album that strips their sound down to it's basic elements and a huge rock element, but still contains elements of the classic sound. This album is okay but very overrated and doesn't compare with the old stuff ("Wolverine Blues" and "The Black Album")
- The band follows that with an album that completely erases all elements of it's original sound and goes into a full on rock direction with no elements of metal at all, which is mostly hit-or-miss ("To Ride..." and "Load"/"Reload").
- The band then releases a god-awful piece of garbage which is a shitstain upon their entire career ("Same Difference" and "St. Anger")
- After the backlash, both bands come full circle and release an album that is a full return to their original sound, albeit with some vague elements of their style over the past few years. This album is mostly awesome but has a few clunkers as well ("Serpent Saints" and "Death Magnetic") (Granted, for Entombed this was more gradual as their were four albums in between "Same Difference" and "Serpent Saints", but I feel like all of them kinda build up and progress towards the "Serpent Saints" style).
- Since then, the band has taken forever to announce anything about a new album, and only released a tiny bit of stuff along the way (Entombed did some covers and pointless re-recordings and Metallica did that "Lulu" thing). Most of this time has been taken up by pointless crap that has nothing to do with music and that no one cares about (mostly Entombed in this regard...who in the hell spends an entire year promoting a re-issue campaign for your three worst albums without even mentioning the fact that your band has just recorded it's first new album since 2007??) Some of what Metallica has done is cool, like the Orion festival and letting fans pick the concert setlist, but they are also guilty and we all know what I mean.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:32 pm 

true_death wrote:

- The band follows that with an album that completely erases all elements of it's original sound and goes into a full on rock direction with no elements of metal at all...

Why do people think this about To Ride...? Metallica's light era was bad because it was radio rock designed for mass consumption, filled with shitty riffs and tame grooves. Entombed of course abandoned death metal, but they still wrote insanely kickass songs, loaded with lots of distortion and guttural vocals, it was hardly accessible stuff. Granted they did have some pretty awful albums too, but Wolverine Blues, To Ride..., and Uprising are some of their better releases. Just because a band takes some rock influences doesn't make it bad by default.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:57 pm 

The Nihilist demos ironically are closer to wolverine blues than the 2 preceeding albums are too.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:01 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:
true_death wrote:

- The band follows that with an album that completely erases all elements of it's original sound and goes into a full on rock direction with no elements of metal at all...

Why do people think this about To Ride...? Metallica's light era was bad because it was radio rock designed for mass consumption, filled with shitty riffs and tame grooves. Entombed of course abandoned death metal, but they still wrote insanely kickass songs, loaded with lots of distortion and guttural vocals, it was hardly accessible stuff. Granted they did have some pretty awful albums too, but Wolverine Blues, To Ride..., and Uprising are some of their better releases. Just because a band takes some rock influences doesn't make it bad by default.

What I was getting at is not that it was a bad album, but that it is their "Load" moment, in other words, when they expand even further from their roots and end up with an album that has (literally) no similarities with it's origin. I think "To Ride..." is an okay album...the kind of thing I would put on maybe once every 6 months and then shove back into the closet haha. And to Entombed's credit, I do think Metallica were actually influenced by them during this period.

~Guest 40855
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:36 pm 

true_death wrote:
Most of this time has been taken up by pointless crap that has nothing to do with music and that no one cares about (mostly Entombed in this regard...who in the hell spends an entire year promoting a re-issue campaign for your three worst albums without even mentioning the fact that your band has just recorded it's first new album since 2007??)

What I've heard and know about this re-issue thing with PledgeMusic, is something that only Alex have been working on. LG Petrov and the rest has nothing to do with this re-issue campaign, according to an interview I read on MetalChronique.fr

And on another note: Has anyone noticed that LG's band is called Entombed A.D. at Century Media Records website.

http://www.centurymedia.com/artist.aspx?IdArtist=708

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:15 pm 

Entombed A.D., Nocturnus A.D., yada yada. If this trend sticks... :oh shit:

~Guest 40855
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:48 pm 

It has now been confirmed that former Entombed singer Orvar Säfström (ex-Nirvana 2002) will be joining the band for the symphony gig in Sweden together with Alex and former guitarist Uffe Cederlund.

Source (In swedish, use google translate or whatever..):
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/n ... 8168771.ab

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:46 pm 

FUCK YES. I'm pumped!

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:50 pm 

Speaking of Clandestine, anyone else order the vinyl reissue by Earache? I'm waiting on my splatter vinyl but curious about how it looks/quality.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:37 pm 

apparently the clandestine gig is a one off...

Valgrinder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:40 am 

_Sepsis_ wrote:
It has now been confirmed that former Entombed singer Orvar Säfström (ex-Nirvana 2002) will be joining the band for the symphony gig in Sweden together with Alex and former guitarist Uffe Cederlund.

So is he doing just one or two lines like he did on the record?

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:55 am 

_Sepsis_ wrote:

A logical choice but I'd rather Nicke sing and they get a different drummer. Come to think of it, since Nicke won't be available for the show at all I'm wondering how worthwhile it will be, or ever was in the first place?

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:46 pm 

Valgrinder wrote:
_Sepsis_ wrote:

So is he doing just one or two lines like he did on the record?

You may be confusing Orvar with Johnny Dordevic, who is credited as lead vocalist on Clandestine, but only sang a handful of lines. Orvar sang 3 songs on the Crawl 12 inch single.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:24 pm 

Johnny didn't sing anything at all in Entombed. Not on record, not live.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:02 am 

going off the sample track for the new album, Entombed are sounding tired.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:27 am 

schizoid wrote:

You mean LG is sounding tired.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:31 am 

Porman wrote:

I understood from old interviews with Nicke that Johnny sang backing vocals on a few tracks, just as Uffe did.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:08 am 

ENKC wrote:
schizoid wrote:

You mean LG is sounding tired.

Wait, so I just brought myself up to speed with whats going on here. It seems LG is the God Seed to Entombed's Gorgoroth, if you get my meaning. LG is indeed sounding tired, dont know what to make of this orchestral Clandestine though (sounds pretentious, like pretty much every rock/metal/orchestral crossover/re imagining ever.

~Guest 40855
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:34 am 

Porman wrote:

Of course Johnny did live shows with Entombed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVA-mznyejw

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next