Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:38 pm 

I was actually thinking of doing something with 5-6 different guitars,(including bass) each one recorded differently, with keyboards to round out what needs something extra. I have a four movement concept in mind, some of it already written, each movement references the rest but I haven't had all the details sorted out yet.

jute
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:29 am 

Conservationism wrote:
everything can be cloned, thus what distinguishes music is composition.

Hasn't this always been the case, in all music? This is why discussions about imagery/lyrics/politics/philosophy or sociological analysis of "the metalheads" seem trivial to me. The only things that matter in the end are the notes on the page or coming out of the speakers. If composition is what matters, then music analysis is of great benefit and things like politics or the crimes of the second-wave BM scene are unfortunate distractions.

So to answer the OP's question, I read academic works on classical/academic/art music frequently and find them useful more often than not. I don't see how this kind of analysis could be anything but good for any style of music. That said, non-musical analysis (i.e. writings from philosophical/sociological/etc perspectives) rarely interests me and I worry that it serves as a distraction from the music itself.

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:55 pm 

Conservationism complaining that heavy metal could objectified and turned into kitsch is years late. And even if it wasn't late: Shock! Horror! It is inevitable anyways! But it is amusing.

For the OP: Some people who listen to heavy metal and can write coherent sentences got old and in the last 15 years the respect by music journos/critics/academics has grown enormously. That's not to say it doesn't have stigmas, some deserved, but that this is increasing is no surprise to me. Look at all the adulation given to Jeff Hanneman after he drank himself to death. That was a dude in Slayer. Slayer!

Deaderthebetter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:57 pm 

Absolutely this is a good thing, every person is entitled to listen to and appreciate any genre of music, and it's always nice when it's not an article on Lady Gaga, Skillrex, LMFAO, etc....

I read an article in a newspaper recently about how heavy metal is the most similar genre of music to classical. Good read and an interview with a little-known musician from my country. If the academic who was also interviewed said something thinly-veiled to the effect of "metal is horrible noise with no purpose" etc. that article doesn't get written the way it does, no way in hell, the mainstream media loves a good story first and foremost. Academics can enjoy metal, this is art after all, but you certainly don't have to be an academic to enjoy the music.

Good publicity is...well... good. Some would argue any publicity is good publicity, I wouldn't go that far, but this trend is nothing to worry about OP.

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:13 pm 

jute wrote:
Conservationism wrote:
everything can be cloned, thus what distinguishes music is composition.

Hasn't this always been the case, in all music?

Yes, to some degree. It's just much easier now. Just about anyone can make a death/black/grind record in their bedroom and have it sound like Sunlight Studios, Colin Richardson, etc. Thus there are a lot of imitators!

AsinineUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:15 pm 

I just gonna paraphrase Fenriz here and say you like metal because you like metal, not folk music or classical.

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:31 pm 

AsinineUsername wrote:
I just gonna paraphrase Fenriz here and say you like metal because you like metal, not folk music or classical.

I have to agree with that. It should never lose its "metal-ness." Although nu-core, tek-deth, metalcore, deathcore, jazzcore, etc. already have.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:17 am 

Desperta_Ferro wrote:
So now metal has a massive inferiority complex and needs to be validated as "serious art" come oooon

I rather have my metal bone headed, thank you very much

Right here, man!!!

I just got off of work, and I'm drinking a beer. Today I listened to some Nasty Savage, Savatage, and Liege Lord! Eighties is the way to go. I'll keep the professors' approval for my college assignments! Hahaha!!
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

AsinineUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:42 pm 

Conservationism wrote:
AsinineUsername wrote:

I have to agree with that. It should never lose its "metal-ness." Although nu-core, tek-deth, metalcore, deathcore, jazzcore, etc. already have.

Dude, jazzcore is just avant-jazz musicians fooling around with grindcore song structures, there's no "metal" to it, not does it really claim to be.

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:25 pm 

AsinineUsername wrote:
Dude, jazzcore is just avant-jazz musicians fooling around with grindcore song structures, there's no "metal" to it, not does it really claim to be.

There are a number of metal bands playing lite jazz disguised as metal. Whatever they are, then.

EDIT: genre-wise. I don't mean personally, e.g. "hipsters" or "anal bathyscopes."

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:29 pm 

THEMICRULAH wrote:
Desperta_Ferro wrote:
So now metal has a massive inferiority complex and needs to be validated as "serious art" come oooon

I rather have my metal bone headed, thank you very much

Right here, man!!!

I just got off of work, and I'm drinking a beer. Today I listened to some Nasty Savage, Savatage, and Liege Lord! Eighties is the way to go. I'll keep the professors' approval for my college assignments! Hahaha!!

uspm is a higher form of art than most supposedly "erudite" music.
because riffs.
you know

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:37 pm 

If I want art, I'll look at a Dore picture. Metal is metal is metal.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:48 pm 

nothing is more artful than headbanging to helstar

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2