Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Pratl1971
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:37 am 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
I am not familiar with disturbed work expect the song down with the sickness which is over played on rock stations, .

Pretty much every song they do sounds just like this, so there you have it. Utter tripe.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:45 am 

No one has commented on this?:

Willie Nelson on a Megadeth album isn't something I ever saw coming.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:08 am 

I like a little Disturbed now and again, but I doubt this will turn out well. That has more to do with Megadeth's recent output as a whole than any real issue with David Draiman though. Thirteen sucked shit and this probably will too.

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:25 am 

I remember distrubed doing a song about the holocaust called 'never again' and it just sounded like down with the sickness. Draiman even did the whole half singing, half rapping thing with lines like (i'm paraphrasing) 'rushed into the deathcamps', 'a sickening lust for genoicde' in front of the standard half-groove riffs and bouncing chugs that distrubed songs usually have. It kind of illustrates for me that my main issue with distrubed is it seems like they've been making the same album for the long time even when it isn't interesting or entertaining at all or when the song doesn't at all call for it.

I find this more amusing than anything, since I don't really listen to megadeth at all (I haven't even heard their classic 80's-early 90's material) since most of the metal genres I listen to (power, black, death, viking) have most of their classics and roots in the 90's or late 80's. Outside of thrash, the only "classic" heavy metal stuff I listen to in some way influences power metal (Iron maiden, manilla road, helloween) and on that note I need to go through all of dio's discography.

Big tangent there, but I don't really know where draiman would fit in the middle of a megadeth song, certainly not in anything that is straight thrashing, my guess is they'll try to stick him in a slower song; I'll agree with the thread's consensus that draiman is technically a good vocalist but has really annoying habits that limit his potential. Also, metantonie that twitter pic was hilarious, as was scrafty's comment.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:01 am 

It's true that Draiman wouldn't fit on a thrash song, but Megadeth does minimal thrashing these days, so no worries!

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:14 am 

Pratl1971 wrote:
maidenpriestmanic wrote:
I am not familiar with disturbed work expect the song down with the sickness which is over played on rock stations, .

Pretty much every song they do sounds just like this, so there you have it. Utter tripe.

Actually, no, every song DOESN'T sound like that...

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:59 am 

Draiman has a good voice. If he's well directed, he might do a more than acceptable work. I 've never heard Draiman outside the nu metal territory, so this could be his chance to prove he can be a decent vocalist. I'm not a Disturbed fan by any means, but I recall heard him singing some cool lines, like 'Remember' is a pretty decent song. He should try to join a metal band full time.

On the other hand, Dave can't sing. Maybe we're used to his poor voice, but the guy has always been a bad singer and now is even worse.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:39 am 

Can't stand Draiman at all! But then, Mustaine had the Lacuna Coil singer on hand to mutilate "A Tout Le Monde" so anything's possible with him.
I found it quite amusing a few years back though when Eric Adams (of Manowar) rated Draiman highly.

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:23 am 

Disturbed pretty much kicks ass

reven
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:49 am 

Scrafty wrote:
Peace sells, but whOOH-WA-A-A-A

Fucking hell this made me cry from laughter, well played.

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:37 am 

"Just like the pied-piper ock-ock, ock-ock Ooooh-wah-ah-ah-aaaaaah". I've got this vision of David Draiman making Dave Mustaine adopt his vocal trickery because he thinks it'd somehow work, even though it clearly wouldn't. At least, I don't think he'll ruin Megadeth's rapidly dwindling reputation more than Mustaine's already done.

Will the recording studio be able to handle not one, but TWO colossa egos?

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:49 am 

Veracs wrote:

I actually like Peace sells it's a good album, nothing Megadeth have ever done is a classic or even close. But that album would be great if Mustaine wasn't on vocals.

Wut? not classics? you are faaaaar from right, the fact you dont like Megadeth its a complete different thing. They have 2 or 3 complete classic albums to say the least. Im surprised that someone can actually dislike Rust in Peace and Peace Sells!

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration wrote:

oh metalheads...we enjoy some shit arse music and bash things like these, that are at least, not completely mediocre. I find myself bashing Disturbed and then worshiping some crap ass black metal band from eastern europe. Anyway, fuck this guy and fuck present Dave Mustaine.

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

The_Emo_Hater
Follically Challenged

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:40 pm 

Scrafty wrote:

Still better than "So Far, So Good, SO WA-A-A-A.

I'm not sure what to think of this collaboration. Hopefully Draiman just uses his "normal" singing voice and not his scat monkey call. Wondering if Dave having this guy appear on his album is another attempt at a #1 album. He's tried before and we all know how that worked out (Countdown was ok, but Risk, dear god....).

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:10 pm 

As long as Draiman doesn't tour with Megadeth it won't be the end of the world. However, Draiman is the worst, most boring front-man in the history of music as far as I'm concerned. I'll never see a band of his again. Decent singer. Complete and utter turd on stage.

(and off of it, apparently)

PS: I hope he doesn't go after me in all-caps now that I said that. :|

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:36 pm 

I'm going to hope that wherever Draiman's lines appear in the lyrics, they are in ALLCAPS. :lol:

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

IdiotFlesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:17 pm 

I'm not expecting anything good from Dave Mustaine in the year 2013.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:27 pm 

Quote:
DEVICE is a brand new band but with some familiar faces. Modern hard rock icon David Draiman of Disturbed, co wrote and recorded the album with Geno Lenardo (formerly of Filter). "It's not metal", Draiman says. "It's influenced by early Industrial rock (I.E. Nine Inch Nails/Ministry) and has a dark electronic vibe. At the same time, these are big, anthemic, and intensely melodic songs. It's futuristic rock." Upon finishing the writing and recording process, Draiman enlisted Evanescence drummer Will Hunt, and Dope and Rock of Ages guitarist Virus; the three comprise the touring incarnation of Device.

Track Listing

You Think You Know
Penance
Vilify
Close My Eyes Forever (feat. Lzzy Hale)
Out of Line (feat. Serj Tankian & Terry "Geezer" Butler)
Hunted
Opinion (feat. Tom Morello)
War Of Lies
Haze (feat. M. Shadows)
Through It All (feat. Glenn Hughes)

What.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:55 am 

Disturbed is pretty much the only "alt-metal-whatever" band along with System of a Down that I find decent. It's not something I would go out of my way to listen but if it's playing, I won't complain.

And Draiman is a good singer. Nice voice, good tone and a very distinctive style. Naturally, if you're not into it, it's fucking grating.

This goes for all artists: Know what the difference is between a gimmick and a signature? There's actually none except how each person feels about it.

At this point in Megadeth's career, it's not really surprising to find a guy like Draiman collaborating.

Metantoine: Those tweets are fucking epic, my friend :thumbsup:

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:09 pm 

Scrafty wrote:

Hilarity!

Also yeah, I'll agree with other people on David's voice. It isn't bad and Disturbed is alright. And this only sounds weird because David has never done vocals for a thrash band.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:31 pm 

Scrafty wrote:

This shit cracked me up so badly :D :D :D

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:45 pm 

Veracs wrote:
nothing Megadeth have ever done is a classic or even close.

:lol:

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

xexyzl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:37 pm 

I'm listening to the Device album right now actually. First three songs are Disturbed with some synths thrown in, but then I hit the Ozzy cover and it's, well, not Disturbed? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4LbTgdHzbE

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:55 pm 

Excellent. Mustaine's still chasing that fleeting scrap of mainstream success he hasn't had since '97, if not longer.

What Megadeth fans want: Just one, ONE, balls-out thrasher of a song trading off leads with Marty like they used to. Maybe another exchanging verses with Chuck Billy and/or Zetro or Mark Osegueda or someone worthwhile that can call back to where this band came from and introduce younger fans to Megadeth's peers.

What Megadeth fans are going to get: Another mid-tempo "rocker" of a single rehashing a couple riffs Dave's already used before and in better form, while one of the most annoying and posturing frontmen in FM radio rock over the past decade-plus chants and stutters along through some predictable singalong pre-chorus/chorus. Because that's where the band's strength always lied: the vocals. I guess Cristina Scabbia was just "too underground" for it to work the last time.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:55 am 

ModusOperandi wrote:
What Megadeth fans want: Just one, ONE, balls-out thrasher of a song trading off leads with Marty like they used to. Maybe another exchanging verses with Chuck Billy and/or Zetro or Mark Osegueda or someone worthwhile that can call back to where this band came from and introduce younger fans to Megadeth's peers.

Hell no I dont want Chuck Billy anywhere near this band

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:10 am 

Chuck billy rapes most of thrash singers nowadays, especially Dave.

I heard that device stuff. Better than disturbed for sure.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:32 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Chuck billy rapes most of thrash singers nowadays, especially Dave.

I heard that device stuff. Better than disturbed for sure.

You really think so? I listened to it and apart from 2-3 songs I think it's a really boring album. Repetitive drums, boring guitars, mundane cookie cutter synths, and some very akward vocal lines..... It's pretty much Disturbed stripped of everything that made Disturbed a decent band.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:45 pm 

From Disturbed, I think they have only a handful of decent tracks. This Device stuff was at least more sonically interesting, but for sure it could be way, way better with real riffs and more aggressive and varied drumming. The vocal lines and style are 100% disturbed tho; Dreiman should at least try to add a bit of variety.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:11 pm 

Ay, the style is the same, but to me the guitars and drums lack any sort of identity or feeling.... they are pretty much just hired goons to do Draimans bidding. I also find the songwriting to be sub par when compared to that of Disturbed.

About the vocal lines, Draiman has gotten really fond of being very loud. He always was a loud vocalist, but some of the lines on Device are just silly because of the loudness. A couple of times it happens at the end of a otherwise fine vocal line and it completely destroys my immersion.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:24 pm 

ModusOperandi wrote:

Hell no I dont want Chuck Billy anywhere near this band

Way to miss the entire point of that one section in my post just to comment on a haphazard hypothetical which in all likelihood will never happen anyway.

If there's any silver lining to this, it's that Dave will no longer have Capitol or Sanctuary or Roadrunner to blame when this album ultimately fails to deliver again on what he at least hinted getting back to with Endgame. Mustaine was at his best when he was in competition with himself and having his own studio, label, and well-known producer whom won't challenge him is just going to squat out another album as interchangeable as the last 3 or 4 now. Say what you will about work ethic and regular output, but it doesn't mean much when it's on this degree of autopilot.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:12 am 

I'm actually really looking forward to buying the Device self titled soon, from what I've heard of it. But that's departing from the topic.

I for one think it would be hilarious if Willy Nelson guested on Super Collider to do another cover of These Boots.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Scrafty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:38 am 

Honestly, I enjoy Draiman's random vocal whatevers, though that's mainly because of my love for electronica. They're basically just stabs (like the woops, yoi synths, etc. used in EDM) except vocals, and I totally appreciate and enjoy that. I like Draiman's singing, too, of course, but all of the later stuff where he does most of his clean singing is boring for me music-wise. At least their first album (which I do shamelessly enjoy parts of) had some kind of energy behind it. The stuff nowadays just seems watered down and boring, much like -- no shit! -- Megadeth. I tried my hardest to enjoy the last two albums, but TH1RT3EN was, as a lot of people have said, simply the old stuff rehashed into some mid-tempo thrashy rock. Who knows, maybe the album will be perfect... for those that enjoy later Disturbed and/or later Megadeth. :P

I make electronic music.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:39 am 

ModusOperandi wrote:
Way to miss the entire point of that one section in my post just to comment on a haphazard hypothetical which in all likelihood will never happen anyway.

Yeah I know nitpicking is annoying but some things just need to be pointed out, you said "what Megadeth fans want" and as a fan I just pointed out what I damn sure dont want...but thats only one thing that was wrong with your post, you also talked about Megadeth's "peers" which kinda implies that Chuck Billy and his stupid band are somehow "peers" to Megadeth and thats just plain wrong.

But nitpicking aside, I think you're being a bit too negative about this whole thing...13 was Megadeth's last album with Roadrunner so I think they pretty much did the Deicide with them just to get out of that deal, why do you think one third of the whole album was just re-recorded old songs and Guns Drugs & Money only had like one riff throughout the entire song? Hell even Deadly Nightshade was based around a 15-year-old Megadeth riff. There's a high chance that they've saved all the really good stuff for this new album and the album is gonna kick ass like Endgame.

Scrafty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:42 am 

Yeah I know nitpicking is annoying but some things just need to be pointed out, you said "what Megadeth fans want" and as a fan I just pointed out what I damn sure dont want...but thats only one thing that was wrong with your post, you also talked about Megadeth's "peers" which kinda implies that Chuck Billy and his stupid band are somehow "peers" to Megadeth and thats just plain wrong.

The same way the similarly-aged people attending the same school you go to are your "peers," why wouldn't the similarly-aged people playing the same genre (generalizing to thrash metal for my point here) as Megadeth not be their peers?

I make electronic music.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:52 pm 

because english isnt my first language and up to this point I had completely misunderstood the meaning of the word "peer"?

A_Dreamer_In_The_Theater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:22 am 

What is wrong with getting someone like Bobby Blitz or Mark Osegueda or even Warrel Dane to guest? It is as if Dave Mustaine is deliberately oblivious to thrash metal. Probably the only worthy bands he'd concede to from the scene are the washed up corpses of Metallica, Slayer and Anthrax with whom he shares the "prestigious Big 4" moniker.

Instaed we have one of the blandest pseudo-aggressive singers to ever exist gracing a Megadeth record? The horror...

Cloud0129
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:54 pm 

A_Dreamer_In_The_Theater wrote:
What is wrong with getting someone like Bobby Blitz or Mark Osegueda or even Warrel Dane

No.

FateMetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:54 pm 

Yes.

I'd take Mr. Dane over Draiman any damn day!

Scrafty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:54 pm 

because english isnt my first language and up to this point I had completely misunderstood the meaning of the word "peer"?

And now you know.

I make electronic music.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2