Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Muloc7253
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:17 pm 

Somberlain just sounds like a weaker version of Storm, and some of the songs really drag.

The_Minstrel51
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:23 pm 

I find myself listening to The Somberlain more. Not sure why, I just happen to find those songs and a lot of the riffs more memorable than those on Storm. Both are great though.

Bestialdamnation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:27 pm 

Like 'em both, but I Storm a little better.

celt14
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:20 am 

I like them both, But Storm is much better. It is much more streamlined, fine tuned, they trimmed the fat out and left just the MEAT! It is more to the point and has a very cold atmosphere, perfect for what they were achieving. Somberlain was great for being a more progressive record, it had a more "night" or "black" atmosphere. Storm was cold, snow, winter.

~Guest 123274
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:33 am 

gradymayhem wrote:
I've heard Necrophobic mentioned a few times, but have never listened to them. Where do I start on their disco?

The Nocturnal Silence is more of a Satanic Death Metal album, with some Black influences while their second one, Darkside, is the most Black Metal oriented album that they recorded and is more likely to appeal to someone that is into older Dissection.

As for the question at hand, it is quite difficult to decide but I would have to go with The Somberlain just due to the darker atmosphere. Storm of the Light's Bane wins when it comes to freezing cold guitar melodies, but it lacks the darkness of its predecessor.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:56 am 

It is so absurd to me that people think Somberlain is the more abrasive record. Somberlain has way more straight rock grooves and slower tempos, making it way more accessibile. Of course, that's why I love it :D (though I love Storm more).

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:11 am 

i've been a storm of the light's bane guy for about 15 years now, but in the last 2-3 months i think the somberlain might have overtaken it (i'm a fanboy). the debut has this swedish DM feel to it, almost like first entombed album in standard tuning. it has the black metal side to it, but it's also much more of a death metal record at the same time. it's the second album is a different beast - definitely 'colder', and every track is hands-down a classic, but it's rooted more in traditional metal... not that that's a bad thing, just that i'm on a swedish DM kick right now, and i've recently realised/decided that iron maiden DOES actually suck.

pastafarian
Liberalestest Hitler Jugend

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:18 am 

I say somberlain Just for A land forlorn. That song has some god tier riffs.

gradymayhem
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:50 am 

I've taken a long ass leave of absence from MA, but I'm back and here's my opinion:
Both have a couple weak tracks and both have some awesome material. Overall, however, The Somberlain is the superior album. The end of every single song leaves you wanting more of the awesomeness you just heard. Yet you forget that want as soon as you hear the next song.

Black Horizons is simply one of the best songs ever recorded, so I give Somberlain big points there, but the last two songs are kind of dull, so I subtract points for those. I also really like the acoustic interlude bits that divide the album up. They aren't overly long or anything, so they function well.

SotLB is a great album in it's own right, but I find that while the highs are great, a lot of it just kind of becomes background noise to my ears (namely Unhallowed). I love Night's Blood, Where Dead Angels Lie, Thorns of Crimson Death, and Soulreaper, but the latter two have boring bits. Also, the acoustic intro and outro are good, but I think they should be in the middle of the album to space songs apart and give more definition to each individual song.

The Somberlain is an album I can listen to over and over again, while Storm is a pleasurable listen from time to time, but not a masterpiece.
We'll bathe tonight
Post metal on my facebook! http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/prof ... 1698891497 I'm formerly defyexistance btw

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:07 am 

TrooperEd wrote:
It is so absurd to me that people think Somberlain is the more abrasive record. Somberlain has way more straight rock grooves and slower tempos, making it way more accessibile. Of course, that's why I love it :D (though I love Storm more).

Hard out thread necromancy on a dead thread. Move on a new subject, guys.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2