Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:10 pm 

MetalHeadNorm wrote:
It's obviously sabbath. Their debut is a masterpiece stuck somewhere between blues, psychedelic rock and (what was yet to be) metal and they quickly followed it up with Paranoid which was what I think what most people could agree the first LP that was metal through and through.

Discussion over.

Bassicly, yeah. But hey, i'm sure we'll all be saying teh same thing wehn another user posts this thread next week.

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

Valdincan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:23 pm 

The first band to bring the heaviness/style and themes of Metal and package them in to one was Black Sabbath. Of course they weren't the be all and end all of the creation, but without them metal would be completely different.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:05 pm 

I'm gonna echo the Black Sabbath sentiment. Like anything, things took time to come together. You're really not gonna find any band that came out of the box as an entirely new genre. Everyone builds on what came before them. Sure, there were heavy bands before Sabbath, but Sabbath seems to have been the first to bring together many of the basic elements that make up metal: the riffage, the darkness, the heaviness, the disenfranchisement not just with the establishment or the mainstream, but just on a personal level with those around you. Yes, other artists had used pieces of those elements prior to Sabbath, but it seems to me that Sabbath was the ones who combined them into one package first. Maybe everything wasn't quite there on the first album, but certainly it was there by Paranoid.

ZombiHolocaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:25 pm 

Blue Cheer def have their moments, but if I had to name one pre sabbath band that match them in heaviness and had a full album out, it would be these dudes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMGXUDQR8PU

Their album from 1969, comes very close to Sabbaths sound, and is far more technical. Definitely a precursor to progressive metal, even if no one from that genre sounds too much like them.

KingMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:32 pm 

Gelal wrote:
KingMaker wrote:
fetalfeast wrote:
KingMaker wrote:
History will say (and already has basically said) Black Sabbath, so what you all think is irrelevant :p

History(according to the mainstream) will also say that Slipknot was the greatest metal band of our generation. Do you believe them?

No, it wont. Slipknot was pretty obviously a fad and will be forgotten in another 5 years at most.

People said that 5 years ago too. Just saying.

And for all intents and purposes they are no longer culturally relevant. They're not even shocking soccer moms anymore. Slipknot may be the boogeyman to most metalheads but for all intents and purposes they're at a point in their career now where only people who want to hear about them hear about them.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:39 pm 

What's with some people's obsession with pinpointing the first metal band? Metal was a gradual progression from hard rock.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:45 pm 

KingMaker wrote:
Gelal wrote:
KingMaker wrote:
fetalfeast wrote:
KingMaker wrote:
History will say (and already has basically said) Black Sabbath, so what you all think is irrelevant :p

History(according to the mainstream) will also say that Slipknot was the greatest metal band of our generation. Do you believe them?

No, it wont. Slipknot was pretty obviously a fad and will be forgotten in another 5 years at most.

People said that 5 years ago too. Just saying.

And for all intents and purposes they are no longer culturally relevant. They're not even shocking soccer moms anymore. Slipknot may be the boogeyman to most metalheads but for all intents and purposes they're at a point in their career now where only people who want to hear about them hear about them.

I don't know about that king, they're still pretty popular around these parts. Their merch is still sold everywhere I go, and all of my freidns that used to love them...still love them. I think if they are forced out of the lime light, it maybe be because of paul grey's death and not really anything else. Also, metal in general doesn't (not refering to slipknot as netal) doesn't really shck soccer mom's anymore, either. When's the last time you heard on the news about a band being banned from venues or schools or stores refusing to carry their music or all that other crap? Not trying to argue with you, just saying.

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:47 pm 

Boreb released their first demo in '64, so I guess them?

Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/noktorn01

Lepernicus wrote:
Every record that dipshit sold took away money that could have went to a far more deserving band such as Immolation.

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:18 pm 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
When's the last time you heard on the news about a band being banned from venues

Does that fest in Australia that got cancelled some months ago due to pressure from religious nutjobs count?

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:31 pm 

I say Led Zeppelin, but that's the way my Old Man raised me. I do think a lot of metalheads enjoy Zepp and a few Metal artists have listed Zepp as an influence.

But, Black Sabbath were undeniably heavy(er than Zeppelin) for their time.

Azathoth500
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:09 pm 

Maddolis wrote:
WebOfPiss wrote:
Where are the metal riffs? That's the heart of metal and the tritone one alone doesn't account for it.

So what about the drone-doom songs that have no riffs whatsoever?

are you saying that drone doom doesn't have riffs? if so, i think your attention span is just a tad short

BlashyrkhMR101
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:32 pm 

Motorhead

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:33 pm 

The first metal album to ever be released in my opinion was Black Sabbath. The song Black Sabbath was darker and heavier than pretty much everything else at the time.

ThrashDeathDoom
Racist Dick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:04 am 

I gotta go with Black Sabbath here too. There may have been songs or bands with "metallic" qualities beforehand, but come on. Black Sabbath was the first one.
YOUUUUUU

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:05 am 

WebOfPiss wrote:
The title track still really isn't a metal song and the debut is not a metal album.

AHHHHHHHHHHhahahahahaha...You're funny. I can see not finding the rest of their self-titles metal, but the title track? And there's no TRITONE apparently!? WHAAATT!? That entire riff is pretty much a TRIONE(6 semi-tones from the next note) chord broken down, aside from the D in that trilled part.

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/black ... h_tab.html

if you were to play that whole power chord it would come out as E3A4D5.
These notes would translate into G C# and G.
How many semi-tones from G to C#?

http://www.michael-thomas.com/music/cla ... chords.htm

*gasp* 6. And from C# to G? Well, I shouldn't have to answer that. So please hand in your jean neo-thrash jacket, long hair and cds, and never listen to metal again.

Anyway, I guess I'll go with Sabbath too but Sir Lord Baltimore and Deep Purple are a close second.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:33 am 

I suggest you improve your reading comprehension, because that whole post was pointless.

Webs didn't say the song doesn't have the tritone. He said that the tritone isn't what makes something metal, and that the tritone isn't hugely common in doom metal anyway.

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:18 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
I suggest you improve your reading comprehension, because that whole post was pointless.

Webs didn't say the song doesn't have the tritone. He said that the tritone isn't what makes something metal, and that the tritone isn't hugely common in doom metal anyway.

Ah...Well still, Black Sabbath, not a Metal song? :grumble:

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2