Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:58 pm 

I have nothing against groove metal on principle and think that many of the common complaints (chugging riffs, tough-guy vocals/image, "dumb") could just as be easily levied against, say, early Exodus. As far as I'm concerned, it's still thrash metal. Swaggering meathead metal has its potential, I just wish many of the bands that slowed things down didn't do so at the expense of creativity. The genre's downfall was by being hyper-focused on emulating the sound and style of just a handful of prominent acts.

chugging_pus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:47 pm 

ute wrote:
chugging_pus wrote:
you're asking about the roots of groove metal? i'll free form my take on it, may be mistakes cause i'm at work....

You had bands like St. Vitus and Trouble doing the retro 70's stuff, influencing bands like Carnivore. Pete Steele was way into Angel Witch, Vitus, Sabbath which was a huge part of Carnivore's sound. Carnivore also had influences from local NY bands like Sheer Terror (who were heavily influenced by the grooves of Celtic Frost) and the Cro-Mags, etc. Thier buddies S.O.D. and Anthrax also had these "mosh parts" which started teaching the crossover scene to slow down a little bit.

You also had the Crumbsuckers who were another great crossover band that fizzled out and eventually members start the band Pro-Pain. Pro-Pain's sound to me straddled the line between Pantera and Biohazard and were garbage, but had an impact on many metal heads when they toured with Overkill in the early/mid 90's.

You also had Corrosion Of Conformity who began as a hardcore band influence by the DC band Void. The band later began to embrace more influences from Black Sabbath and later Black Flag, which caused them to utilize more groove in their previously thrash and go sound.

Carnivore influences Kirk Windstein who began adding this influence into a band he was in called Shell Shock. Shell Shock broke up, he brielfy worked with Exhorder, then formed the Slugs/Crowbar. I think Kirk Windstein's musical influence and ideas were a huge influence on Pantera's change in sound from sleazy "power metal" to "tough as nails" aggro metal.

Die Kreuzen began as a hardcore/punk band with original discordant riffing that influenced metal bands such as Voivoid and Beyond Possession. Die Kreuzen's biggest followers were Soundgarden. When Die Kreuzen put out their second LP "October File" they lost their thrash roots and began to play even more experimentally. They were a huge influence on Soundgarden.

Soundgarden were a huge influence on bands like Helmet and Clutch (who have a rabid cult following today). Helmet winds a Grammy in 1991 for the song "Unsung," and soon after every metal band with a record deal is adding thier influences into their sound (Sepultura, Napalm Death).

By '93 or so Machine Head and Crowbar put out their debuts, and the roots of groove metal are becoming very solidified. Just a year away from shit like Korn, Deftones, and other garbage aimed at 12 year olds.

Also don't forget the horrible funk metal movement of the late 80's. Faith No More (never cared for them), Infectious Grooves, Chili Peppers, and more. Eventually giving birth to Rage Against The Machine who added more hardcore influences to the sound.

Thanks a lot for your amazing reply!
I'm just curious about what a 80's thrash metal fans think but you really help me a lot.
I'm familiar with hardcore punk instead of metal. Never consider doom element in this topic.
Indeed a nice reference!
May I ask you how do you find these facts or any book/documentary you could recommend?

No sources, just my own observation on bands that influenced the bands that influenced the "groove" shift in the 90's.

I might also add Bad Brains' "I Against I" album as another influence. Bad Brains were one of the first full fledged hardcore/punk bands from the East Coast. They also played reggae songs, but early on they did not mix reggae and punk/hardcore. They'd either play a reggae song or a punk song. They reformed in 1985, and at this time began mixing reggae rhythms with punk, rock and metal. I prefer their earlier hardcore stuff by far, but you can hear how they began to add these reggae rhythms to heavier stuff. The original singer from Faith No More also joined them later on for a brief period.

Another band I forgot to add to the "funk metal" comment from the late 80's was Mind Funk. This band also had Reed from Celtic Frost playing drums. And I believe Jason Everman who was in both Soundgarden and Nirvana briefly. In the late 80's, labels thought that funk metal would be the next big thing due to the fast popularity of bands like Faith No More and Red Hot Chili Peppers. Even Discharge made an album in the early 90's that sounded like awful funk metal. It was embarrassing but many people thought it was cool or just did what they were told.

Jane's Addiction's popularity also contributed to this. A band who also sounds like they listened to some Die Krezuen for ideas.

Listen to this and tell me this isn't awful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3noEQpNeQJU

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:42 pm 

Epic tried to push Bad Brains into the mainstream in the early 90s. It was a flop, I don't actually mind Rise but the production is absolutely terrible on the reggae tracks. Sounds like they're playing half a block away with the bass cranked so loud it drowns everything else out...

ute
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:36 pm 

Lagartija wrote:
I have a very strong loathing for Machine Head and refuse to listen to 'The Blackening' on principle. They started out groove when groove was in, went nu-metal when nu-metal was in, turned thrash when thrash came back, and then are doing whatever the fuck they are doing now.
I don't care that Rob Flyn played in Vio-lence, Machine Head are trendy bandwagon-jumpers.
I have more respect for Pantera, but don't like them either.
Just personal opinions :)

Thanks for sharing your idea. I get what you feel.
May I ask you when did you start to listen to metal music and the bands?

ute
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:44 pm 

Yayattasa wrote:
If you would call this groove metal...

Then it rules.

Well, I found more doom/sludge in start and later Pantera first groove album/Overdose came.
Maybe it's power groove?

ute
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:06 pm 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
I have nothing against groove metal on principle and think that many of the common complaints (chugging riffs, tough-guy vocals/image, "dumb") could just as be easily levied against, say, early Exodus. As far as I'm concerned, it's still thrash metal. Swaggering meathead metal has its potential, I just wish many of the bands that slowed things down didn't do so at the expense of creativity. The genre's downfall was by being hyper-focused on emulating the sound and style of just a handful of prominent acts.

Yes! A nice advanced viewpoint. When a style becomes popular, many wannabes are around there.
May I ask what year and band do you start to listen? Your musical history ;)

ute
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:31 pm 

chugging_pus wrote:

No sources, just my own observation on bands that influenced the bands that influenced the "groove" shift in the 90's.

I might also add Bad Brains' "I Against I" album as another influence. Bad Brains were one of the first full fledged hardcore/punk bands from the East Coast. They also played reggae songs, but early on they did not mix reggae and punk/hardcore. They'd either play a reggae song or a punk song. They reformed in 1985, and at this time began mixing reggae rhythms with punk, rock and metal. I prefer their earlier hardcore stuff by far, but you can hear how they began to add these reggae rhythms to heavier stuff. The original singer from Faith No More also joined them later on for a brief period.

Another band I forgot to add to the "funk metal" comment from the late 80's was Mind Funk. This band also had Reed from Celtic Frost playing drums. And I believe Jason Everman who was in both Soundgarden and Nirvana briefly. In the late 80's, labels thought that funk metal would be the next big thing due to the fast popularity of bands like Faith No More and Red Hot Chili Peppers. Even Discharge made an album in the early 90's that sounded like awful funk metal. It was embarrassing but many people thought it was cool or just did what they were told.

Jane's Addiction's popularity also contributed to this. A band who also sounds like they listened to some Die Krezuen for ideas.

Listen to this and tell me this isn't awful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3noEQpNeQJU

Thanks for your complement. Pretty delicate observation! I learn a lot from you.
I'd pay more attention on the member changes and multiple influencing lines.
Never know Discharge play this and I felt they just want their UK hardcore stuff more metallic and groovy.
Some anarcho-punk bands sound awful but I don't hate it.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:29 am 

ute wrote:
Lagartija wrote:
I have a very strong loathing for Machine Head and refuse to listen to 'The Blackening' on principle. They started out groove when groove was in, went nu-metal when nu-metal was in, turned thrash when thrash came back, and then are doing whatever the fuck they are doing now.
I don't care that Rob Flyn played in Vio-lence, Machine Head are trendy bandwagon-jumpers.

Thanks for sharing your idea. I get what you feel.
May I ask you when did you start to listen to metal music and the bands?

Began with Maiden when I was 13 and had to grow up without discovering the more interesting thrash and extreme metal due to my generation being the nu-metal one; the 90s were shit for metal (apart from the birth of death and black, but I didn't find them until friends and then the internet came along).
That's probably why I have such a loathing of this style; it made me miss years of great music and nearly turned me off metal completely.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:41 am 

Lagartija wrote:

Is it possible that the timing is close because Machine Head were actually setting some of the trends? I personally don't know the timing of Machine Head's genre changes and the scene changes well enough to say either way. Regardless, The Blackening is still a good album and you're doing yourself a disservice by ignoring it. In my opinion, it is the very first album of theirs that was actually worth hearing.

Also, I'm pretty sure that I'm the only guy Ute replied to who he didn't thank.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:14 pm 

Machine Head followed music trends. It dates back to when Rob Flynn was in Viol-lance. Viol-lance starts out thrash in the late 1980's then progresses to groove on their final album. Then Machine Head comes along and continues with groove until nu-metal got popular, then they release a couple nu-metal albums. Nu-metal goes away, and Machine Head is back to the next popular music trend. I like Machine Head, minus a couple of albums, but they follow the trends to try and remain popular. Just my .02 cents.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:34 pm 

i think groove metal is a genre that never really reached its potential. There are about 4 groove metal albums i don't have like Chaos AD by sepultura but by far most of its is pretty bad.
Groove metal also had a lot of influence on death metal just after the first wave from 93 onwards. Not all of that being overt "pantera" clones either.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:45 pm 

fourrobert13 wrote:
Machine Head followed music trends. It dates back to when Rob Flynn was in Viol-lance. Viol-lance starts out thrash in the late 1980's then progresses to groove on their final album. Then Machine Head comes along and continues with groove until nu-metal got popular, then they release a couple nu-metal albums. Nu-metal goes away, and Machine Head is back to the next popular music trend. I like Machine Head, minus a couple of albums, but they follow the trends to try and remain popular. Just my .02 cents.

i think that's just flynn in general. it's been noted a few times (at least by me, probably by 10000 others as well haha) that he's a complete bandwagon-jumper. i'd be angrier at him for it if it wasn't for the fact that he pulls it off so damn well, though. vio-lence is largely considered one of the top non-big 4 thrash bands in general (with the exception of their third album, which just kinda went unnoticed) and their first album is (imo) in the top 5 thrash albums of all time (my taste is generally fairly "mainstream", so the other spots have bands like metallica in them), and the first two machine head albums i've already praised enough on this board. even the burning red is pretty fucking good for what it is - when it came out, it was *the shit* for aaaaages (i was in high school at the time) and this at a time when nu-metal was the non-hip-hop music style of choice; people rated that album over limp bizkit/korn/etc a fair bit. truth is, it's only been retroactively hated by most since the early 00s (as nu-metal started to die out and supercharger flopped so fantastically). i stopped listening to machine head when they went nu-metal, but i was there and remember it, and more: that through the ashes of empires is considered one of the better "comeback albums" of recent days, and the albums after it are considered modern-day master of puppetses by most outside of these corners of the internet. so long and short of it, give robb flynn his due - with the exception of one album he's had a streak and a half as far as critical reception goes...

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:35 am 

Nothing wrong with following trends as long as you do it better than everyone else. Judas Priest is another prime example of that.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:18 am 

ugh you are both so wrong. Modern machine head master of puppet after master of puppet? Sure that must explain why there are so many bands out there sounding like them right now. Judas priest has done little note worthy since painkiller and even that followed a period of relative drought.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:45 am 

Turner wrote:
even the burning red is pretty fucking good for what it is - when it came out, it was *the shit* for aaaaages (i was in high school at the time) and this at a time when nu-metal was the non-hip-hop music style of choice; people rated that album over limp bizkit/korn/etc a fair bit. truth is, it's only been retroactively hated by most since the early 00s (as nu-metal started to die out and supercharger flopped so fantastically). i stopped listening to machine head when they went nu-metal, but i was there and remember it, and more: that through the ashes of empires is considered one of the better "comeback albums" of recent days, and the albums after it are considered modern-day master of puppetses by most outside of these corners of the internet. so long and short of it, give robb flynn his due - with the exception of one album he's had a streak and a half as far as critical reception goes...

I remember when the The Burning Red came out. In general it was pretty well hated by pretty much any metalhead or critic. For those who liked it, it was generally as a second or third Nu Metal act, even behind lightweights like Coal Chamber, let alone Korn, Limp Bizket et al...
Machine Head may have made an alright payday back in 1999, but long term it was a bad move.

Maybe your speaking from regional experience, but that's how I remember it from my schooldays.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:48 am 

The third Viol-lence was trending towards groove metal because Pantera popular at the time and a lot of bands were trying to compete with them and grunge. Had Viol-lence stuck together, their next album would have been called Burn My Eyes... just saying. Flynn wasn't the only guy guilty of this trend following. Anthrax's Scott Ian got rid of Joey, got Bush and changed the whole sound trying to chase Pantera. We all saw how that turned out.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:56 am 

Indecency wrote:
In my opinion, it is the very first album of theirs that was actually worth hearing.

It must say something about the band that it took them this long...

chugging_pus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:09 pm 

speaking of jumping on trends, remember when Rob Halford did Fight?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TgfOoxMu88

yeeeeeshhhh.

I'd also add Alice In Chains as one more groove metal influence (they themselves heavily influenced by Soundgarden)

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:41 pm 

AiC was heavily influenced by Black Sabbath from Dirt onward and Facelift is total G'n'R, particularly in just about all of the second half of the album. For all intents and purposes, they're a rock band that's incorporated a multitude of styles over the years anchored by honest songwriting. If anything, they were imitated far more often for their vocals and to a much inferior degree.

Regarding groove metal, it's frustrating how so much of it is rooted in a "chunk-and-chuck" kind of non-riffing instead of coming up with something interesting. Think of the bridge riff in "Angel of Death." You know the one. The song breaks down into a stomping tempo and we're rewarded with one of the band's busiest and best riffs. Why hasn't there been more of that? Why can't there be more of that today?

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:39 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
ugh you are both so wrong. Modern machine head master of puppet after master of puppet? Sure that must explain why there are so many bands out there sounding like them right now.

well i'm not saying that i agree at all, but shit, just check out the reviews for the blackening even here at m-a:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/M ... ng/142131/
note the number of high 80s, 90s and even 100s in there. the album's score is only at 66% because enough insular m-a self-styled real metalheads felt offended enough by other people liking the thing to go in there and dish out 50-and-lowers out of spite. reading those reviews half the time tells you more about the reviewers' beefs with MH than the album itself. can you imagine how the album fares in places where people don't give a shit that machine head went nu-metal for a while (ie. most metal communities)? it's veeeeeeery widely considered a masterpiece.

schizoid wrote:
Maybe your speaking from regional experience, but that's how I remember it from my schooldays.

well... yeah, could be regional. i'm going on my experience as a high school kid, so it was pretty limited to my town.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:20 am 

Turner wrote:
tomcat_ha wrote:
ugh you are both so wrong. Modern machine head master of puppet after master of puppet? Sure that must explain why there are so many bands out there sounding like them right now.

well i'm not saying that i agree at all, but shit, just check out the reviews for the blackening even here at m-a:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/M ... ng/142131/
note the number of high 80s, 90s and even 100s in there. the album's score is only at 66% because enough insular m-a self-styled real metalheads felt offended enough by other people liking the thing to go in there and dish out 50-and-lowers out of spite. reading those reviews half the time tells you more about the reviewers' beefs with MH than the album itself. can you imagine how the album fares in places where people don't give a shit that machine head went nu-metal for a while (ie. most metal communities)? it's veeeeeeery widely considered a masterpiece.

oh you mean the same people who worship children of bodom and like death magnetic?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:27 am 

Turner wrote:
the album's score is only at 66% because enough insular m-a self-styled real metalheads felt offended enough by other people liking the thing to go in there and dish out 50-and-lowers out of spite. reading those reviews half the time tells you more about the reviewers' beefs with MH than the album itself. can you imagine how the album fares in places where people don't give a shit that machine head went nu-metal for a while (ie. most metal communities)? it's veeeeeeery widely considered a masterpiece.

People can dislike Machine Head without being this strawman "real metalhead" thing you keep talking about - doesn't matter to me if people like that album or any of their other garbage; I've never heard a Machine Head song I'd call good, and I even tried the ones you posted earlier in this thread. Crap band in my books.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:12 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
oh you mean the same people who worship children of bodom and like death magnetic?

hahah, that is EXACTLY what i mean!

Empyreal wrote:
People can dislike Machine Head without being this strawman "real metalhead" thing you keep talking about - doesn't matter to me if people like that album or any of their other garbage; I've never heard a Machine Head song I'd call good, and I even tried the ones you posted earlier in this thread. Crap band in my books.

hey i never said it was mutually exclusive; there are pleeeenty of people out there who don't like (particularly latter-day) MH and also aren't my uh, strawman (myself included), but there are also SHITLOADS of people who fit the mold. you only need to look through this and/or any other thread about groove/nu-metal/etc and hear the cries of "this is fucking low IQ shit!" to see it firsthand.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:27 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
ugh you are both so wrong. Modern machine head master of puppet after master of puppet? Sure that must explain why there are so many bands out there sounding like them right now. Judas priest has done little note worthy since painkiller and even that followed a period of relative drought.

Priest always followed trends. Everything from Killing Machine onwards was commercial as hell. Painkiller was them realizing that metal was moving away from meat-beat driven simplicity and they simply followed suit.

Musically speaking, Jugulator is a fucking great album. Ripper's constipated delivery and obnoxious overuse of extreme falsetto is what ruins it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:28 pm 

Turner wrote:

hey i never said it was mutually exclusive; there are pleeeenty of people out there who don't like (particularly latter-day) MH and also aren't my uh, strawman (myself included), but there are also SHITLOADS of people who fit the mold. you only need to look through this and/or any other thread about groove/nu-metal/etc and hear the cries of "this is fucking low IQ shit!" to see it firsthand.

Eh yeah, true enough. Plenty of dumbasses who just hate ideas more than actual music. Pretty much any review or anything that attacks the band's fans before the music, or attacks some perceived stereotype, falls under that, so I can agree with that much.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:34 pm 

Saying Priest hopped in trends since Killing is just ignorant.

chugging_pus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:37 am 

also add King's X, Warrior Soul, and Last Crack to the list of alternative metal bands that laid the groundwork for so much more groove stuff. (sorry I truly hated this stuff)

Maybe even throw in Living Colour with their huge hit (a band heavily inspired by the second coming of the Bad Brains)

p4vl
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:50 am 

I loved Pantera and Machine head when I was a kid.

I can't listen to them anymore. Well, I can listen to The Great Southern Trendkill occasionally because I've never heard a mainstream metal band make such a fucked-up, weird album. Also Floods is incredible.

I think Anselmo forcing the rest of Pantera to listen to underground metal in the 80's like Celtic Frost may have been the origin of groove metal.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:57 am 

TrooperEd wrote:
Saying Priest hopped in trends since Killing is just ignorant.

They were definitely easily influenced by outside sounds. Sometimes they did their own thing (Point of Entry is weak but very uncommercial) but they always altered things to suit the musical zeigeist. Especially in terms of production. British Steel through to Screaming For Vengeance have a dry clear New Wave-esque production style, then Defenders of the Faith and Turbo both have that big echoey 80s stadium rock type of sound. That's what separates them from, say, Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden. They absorbed what was going on around them and used it to progress their sound. That's my die-hard Priest fan's approach to the subject. I don't really care what their motivation was as long as they created good music, and that's something they always did. Although I don't like Demolition or Nostradamus :P

BondedByBanjo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:06 pm 

I like some groove metal like Machine Head or even some of Exodus' stuff since reforming (You cannot deny that band has always had groove) but stuff like Pantera isn't that great. Strangely syncopated chugging bare minimum riffs don't interest me. I guess the groove stuff I like is just down tuned mid-pace thrash metal more than "groove"

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2