Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 178973
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:32 pm 

Yeah, don't see what's with the ragging on those two, Two Out of Seven and Rock of Cashel - even if the previous one has some rather...intriguing lyrics - are enjoyable, fun tunes. Rather rocky and not exactly blasting power metal, but obviously the band is both good at and enjoy that kind of thing, and it really shows.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:31 pm 

Robin Hood and The Arcane Guild are the only good songs on that album, Pandora's Box has a nice chorus but the song is ruined but the stupid western sounding verses. Rest of the album ranges from 'ok' to absolute garbage.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:46 pm 

It's their best album. They just focused on writing good, solid songs - not trying to be the fastest or the most epic, but just bare bones good tunes that consistently deliver on all fronts - great vocals, catchy guitars and varied songwriting. Most of it is the strongest material they ever did, plus the production is excellent - beautifully clear and warm, and novel in that it doesn't try to sound as loud and in your face as possible like a lot of older bands do on new albums.

Going back to a lot of their old stuff these days, it's special because of the youthful ages of the band members and the spirit in it, but it's often repetitive and feels a bit creatively stunted - they were trying hard to fit into the 'power metal' box and check off every aspect of that style. So the scope of the music just felt sort of limited, like the band wasn't really accomplishing everything it had the potential for. There were classics like "Vain Glory Opera" and "Theater of Salvation" (the title tracks, that is), but there were also a lot of filler-y songs too. Later on they got their own identity, got more comfortable as a band and thus got a lot better.

Then again this is the same rant I've given in a lot of recent Edguy threads - point is it's the one I find myself going back to the most anyway. If you like PM specifically, then yeah, you probably won't like the new shit. I just look for good music no matter what the genre - if Edguy were a hard rock band at the beginning and morphed into a better power metal band, I'd be saying the same thing even then.

I will say it'd behoove Tobi to quit writing the "nobody understands me, critics are assholes" sorts of lyrics. After "Catch of the Century" I don't really think he needed to continue that kinda shit.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:36 am 

I know I kinda ragged on Saber and Torch and I still stand by the statement (I mean a "woah-oh" chorus? Is it 2002 again?) but god damnit, I can't stop humming it to myself.

It's certainly infectious.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:24 pm 

http://us.7digital.com/artist/edguy/release/space-police-defenders-of-the-crown/?src=live-search

Samples of the new album. Sounds really good. Wasn't a big fan of Age of the Joker, but this sounds like a big improvement.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:45 pm 

holy shit, this is actually really good if these are anything to go by. the songwriting from rocket ride seems to be back. thumbs up so far!

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:50 pm 

Yea this is surprisingly good, after their last 2 stinkers they go back to the Hellfire / Rocket era sound.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:15 pm 

Yeh, sounds alright, like half Rocket Ride, half Hellfire Club

Not a fine of the Acceptish vocals though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:18 pm 

They sound good. "Do Me Like a Caveman" surprisingly piqued my interest the most - want to hear all the heavy Hellfire Clubish tracks too though.

simonitro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:29 am 

If the album sounds like Rocket Ride, I am sold. That album, while looked stupid on paper, is a very solid and awesome album minus few songs. I haven't heard the songs (I'd just wait until it is released). However, I am excited.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:01 pm 

It leaked. So far this is pretty much exactly what I expected and wanted. Trademarked Edguy - goofy attitude, catchy songs and great vocals. They really just seem to be comfortable on here, the songs sound very natural and enjoyable.

edit: It's a solid album all throughout, no real bad songs. Just tons of fun.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:03 am 

I've listened to it a few times now and I think the new album is really good. It's easily their strongest in years. The only 'bad' track is the cover Rock Me Amadeus. It's not a bad cover per se, I've just never liked that song in general. Everything else is great though. A massive step up from their last two albums with I found very hit and miss.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:46 pm 

I like the album. It may take some time for some of the songs to grow on me....except "Rock Me Amadeus" which I hated when it came out!! lol

Like your reviews?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:36 pm 

My opinion of this album after a few listens is, the more cackling laughter a song has, the better it is!

But seriously, yeah, it's good. I love the tongue in cheek nature of the two back to back title tracks - it's just so goofy. They're serious musically but then you get the ridiculous, humorous touches in the lyrics and presentation. It's like really, if we're writing about sci fi and fantasy, what's wrong with a bit of camp? That's pretty much the band's mindset.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:10 pm 

I liked it quite a bit better than I did Age of the Joker. Surprisingly, the standout track of the album for me was "Love Tyger," as that chorus is pure aural heroin. I'm also quite fond of "Sabre & Torch" and the bonus track "England."

EDIT: Whoooops~

Last edited by Zelkiiro on Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:25 pm 

I really liked it after one listen. Definitely their best record since Rocket Ride, and maybe even Hellfire Club. It definitely does not sound like the Edguy of old other than in a couple of spots, but Tobi seems to have brought the songwriting quality up to the level of Avantasia, which is great to hear.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:07 pm 

I'm surprised I like this album! The formula works better than on their previous ones for sure. Fav tracks: "Sabre & Torch" and not "Torch & Saber" :), the two title tracks and "The Realms of Baby Yaga". That cover art is pretty cool too, nice pulp sci fi feel.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

alagon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:53 am 

The only defenders of the crown song which I like is the one by Human Fortress.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:15 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:
Dunno how long this'll be up for. It was released in Germany today. It's an accessible, catchy hard rock song and will also be getting a video at some point.

It's cheesy, but I like it!

I'm guessing the band are big Def Lep and Pat Benatar Fans?

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:46 pm 

God save us, it's power/hair metal. :ugh:

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:57 am 

They've been doing that for a decade now.

"Do Me Like a Caveman" has to be one of their strangest songs. That title matched with themes about caveman sex, but done in a very dramatic manner and with dark, mystical music...odd.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:51 pm 

"T-T-T-TIGER!"

It's so catchy!

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:58 pm 

It's a good album, but not a great one. There's some really good stuff on the album (Love Tyger, Do Me Like a Caveman, Alone in Myself, The Eternal Wayfarer) but two or three songs are a bit forgettable at times. The huge, catchy choruses are one of Edguy's strengths, but I find they're a bit lacking here. Also, Rock Me Amadeus should've been relegated to bonus/b-side status.

I didn't expect anything truly remarkable. I think they probably peaked with Mandrake through Tinnitus Sanctus. However, I enjoy the album and I know Edguy will always deliver in that regard.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:39 pm 

The Tyger song's chorus sounds really familiar. That note progression has been used before, I can't remember for the life of me where, though.

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:00 am 

I was listening to a few tracks on youtube, I didn't care for the ones I heard until I got to "Do Me Like A Caveman" which was great. I will listen to the rest when I actually obtain the album.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:17 am 

Diamhea wrote:
The Tyger song's chorus sounds really familiar. That note progression has been used before, I can't remember for the life of me where, though.

haha, i think it may be every AOR song ever made.

jokes aside, this album is pretty good. wasn't expecting edguy to release anything i'd be interested in again, but here i am!

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:24 pm 

"Love Tyger" sounds a little bit like the band White Lion.

The new record is much better than "Age Of The Joker" and "Tinnitus Sanctus". "Sabre & Torch" is the heaviest anthem the band has written since "Mysteria", "Defenders Of The Crown" and "Shadow Eaters" are a return to EPM and "Space Police" is a catchy and diversified title track. The second half of the record is a little bit predictable and less impressive but still very solid. I'm only disappointed by the lackluster bonus tracks. "Aychim in Hysteria" sounds like The Police meets Wham! and "England" is a not so humorous piano ballad that sounds like a retarded brother of "Life & Times of a Bonus Track". I'm a long time Edguy fan but this time I'm not sure if I should buy the limited edition just for the sake to complete my collection, the regular edition would really do the job this time.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:28 pm 

kluseba wrote:
"Love Tyger" sounds a little bit like the band White Lion.

The new record is much better than "Age Of The Joker" and "Tinnitus Sanctus". "Sabre & Torch" is the heaviest anthem the band has written since "Mysteria", "Defenders Of The Crown" and "Shadow Eaters" are a return to EPM and "Space Police" is a catchy and diversified title track. The second half of the record is a little bit predictable and less impressive but still very solid. I'm only disappointed by the lackluster bonus tracks. "Aychim in Hysteria" sounds like The Police meets Wham! and "England" is a not so humorous piano ballad that sounds like a retarded brother of "Life & Times of a Bonus Track". I'm a long time Edguy fan but this time I'm not sure if I should buy the limited edition just for the sake to complete my collection, the regular edition would really do the job this time.

Aychim in Hysteria is great! It sounds more like Hysteria-era Def Leppard to me. That's probably why I love it so much.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2