* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:38 pm 

Spoiler: show
Quote:
Original ENTOMBED members Alex Hellid (guitar), Ulf "Uffe" Cederlund (guitar) and Nicke Andersson (drums) will rejoin forces to perform the band's classic second album, "Clandestine" (1991), on February 1, 2014 at Gävle Konserthus in Gävle, Sweden. They will be backed by the 65-piece Gävle Symphonic Orchestra and a 40-piece choir.

Says Alex: "We will be performing 'Clandestine' as arranged by Thomas Von Wachenfeldt and it will be the first time in 17 years that me, Uffe and Nicke play together again as ENTOMBED. "We are all very excited to start working on this project and look forward to see where it'll take us!"

ENTOMBED previously performed "Clandestine" in its entirety with the Nordic Chamber Orchestra on April 12, 2013 at Tonhallen in Sundsvall, Sweden. A recording of the song "Blessed Be" from that show can be streamed using the audio player below.

Hellid did not participate in the writing and recording of "Back To The Front", the recently completed album by a completely different band calling itself ENTOMBED, featuring vocalist — and sole original member — Lars Göran Petrov alongside Olle Dahlstedt (drums), Nico Elgstrand (guitar) and Victor Brandt (bass). Asked in a recent interview with France's MetalChroniques.fr if the omission of Hellid's name from the ENTOMBED biography accompanying a promotional copy of "Back To The Front" was a mistake on the record label's part, Petrov replied: "I do not want to speak publicly about this at the moment; this is something we want to keep internal and private for now. But this is not an error in the biography. Next question?"

Century Media Records announced earlier in the week that the release date of "Back To The Front" was being pushed back to early 2014 from the previously announced October 29 due to "unpredictable technical problems." Hellid did not accompany the Petrov-fronted lineup of ENTOMBED when the band performed at the Manizales Grita Rock festival in Colombia last month.

Uh oh. Looks like we're heading into Queensryche territory here with the two bands, one name thing.

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:28 am 

I think if Alex, Nicke, and Uffe record something together, it'll blow L-G's project out of the fucking water. I'm waiting for the riff masters of SweDeath to redeem us from the modern revival scene!

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:03 am 

What the hell is happening? This is one of the last bands I'd expect this from. Doesn't seem like they parted on good terms, but we don't know the exact reasoning right now. Musically speaking, having Uffe with Nicke and Alex has me wishing they'd go back to the magma-riffs of the first two Entombed albums so that this band can get back to it's senses. Uffe's in friggen' Disfear, so there's no way they'd fuck this up.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Last edited by OzzyApu on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:03 am 

What p0wnn00b said x1000. I can't believe my hopes and dreams that I just made up on the last page are an actual thing that's happening. L.G.'s a cool guy and all but he kind of looks like he's let himself go and his remarks about wanting to make more death'n'roll were worrying. I don't really give a shit about the orchestra/choir live performance thing, but holy shit is the rest exciting news, assuming that even arguing about the name rights thing means that there's more in store for the trio than just that one thing.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:36 am 

This is great. The current lineup of Entombed is going nowhere, and the last album makes it apparent that the band was more or less done at that point. These three guys really had something special going together, their last album together was on the way out, and even with a stellar musician in Peter Stjarnvind replacing Nicke, the band simply wasn't putting together legendary music as they had a few times before. Any change is welcome now, this change couldn't be better.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:53 am 

I... I don't know what to make of this. They're flat out saying the newly announced Entombed record is from a band that doesn't have the right to call themselves that. And given it's only LG left, I can see where they're coming from.

This begs the question to me of who's really controlling the massive crowdfunding reissue campaign they have going on. It looks like Hellid is at the heart of it. I guess that makes a lot more sense since why would they be looking for crowdfunding if the band has label backing for a new record?
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:16 am 

p0wnn00b wrote:
I think if Alex, Nicke, and Uffe record something together, it'll blow L-G's project out of the fucking water. I'm waiting for the riff masters of SweDeath to redeem us from the modern revival scene!

now i'm just wondering which version will be the most extreme one...

But seriously, the situation with Entombed is getting weirder by the day here, wtf ?!

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:05 am 

I guess I will somewhat have to eat my own words about Nicke rejoining Entombed (or Nihilist).

This is great news! With the masterminds back together, things can only be great!

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:28 am 

I'm looking forward to hearing some of the reasons behind this. I'm guessing that Alex wanted a classic Entombed reunion and LG wasn't down with it. Still, Alex, Uffe and Nicke being back together (if it is more than a few live shows/orchestral performances) is more exciting than a Entombed-less Entombed album.

uzilover
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:01 am 

Colour me excited about the possibility of Alex, Uffe and Nicke doing something. If we look at the classic first 3 Entombed records, it's pretty apparent that those guys were the ones doing the songwriting. Entombed did manage to put out some good stuff without Nicke, but it always felt like something was missing. This version is probably way more legitimate than LG Petrov and a bunch of other guys.

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:16 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
What p0wnn00b said x1000. I can't believe my hopes and dreams that I just made up on the last page are an actual thing that's happening. L.G.'s a cool guy and all but he kind of looks like he's let himself go and his remarks about wanting to make more death'n'roll were worrying. I don't really give a shit about the orchestra/choir live performance thing, but holy shit is the rest exciting news, assuming that even arguing about the name rights thing means that there's more in store for the trio than just that one thing.

X another 1000. Clandestine is the greatest death metal album of all time to me.
Agree with L.G being cool and all, but he's not exactly a crucial part of the songwriting team. has he written anything besides the piano intermission on To Ride (which is extremely cool)?

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:17 am 

Apparently he has come up with ideas on songs, but more than that it's hardly anything noteworthy. From what I've heard the new album was written mainly by LG's ideas.

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:33 am 

So LG is to Entombed what Ozzy is to Sabbath?

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:40 am 

Everywhere else people have been laughing their asses off to Nicke and co.
but here.. people are actually excited, wow.
:???:

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:41 am 

Clandestine lineup????? They're getting this old boy's hopes up once again!! :D
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:46 am 

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:

Laughing at what?

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:48 am 

Hoping in some classic '90 swedish death metal from this reform or...???

"You make it easy."

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:00 am 

Opus wrote:
Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:

Laughing at what?

I don't know, maybe doing a oh-so-trendy reunion by playing a death metal album (which contained only trad. band instruments) with a humongous choir and a symphony orchestra (fucking silly), and at the same time catching cool waves at the media with these versus-scoops.
Maybe it's time to ask Johnny Hedlund back and reform Nihilist?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:39 am 

Uh, déjà vu. :crash:

On one hand having that line-up reunited makes me want to jump like a rabid bunny on meth, but on the other hand... Clandestine with an orchestra?! Whut???

Now we have "two" Dark Angel, two Rhapsody, two Queensryche and two Entombed. Notice though that DA isn't really a matter of naming but more due to the Don Doty drama factor. Is this a new trend with old bands now? Gaaaahhhh... :nono:

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:33 pm 

And don't forget 2 Deicide and 2 Dying Fetus ahahah

"You make it easy."

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:34 pm 

And two black flags...

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:37 pm 

Two Dying Fetus? I sure missed that one... Unless you mean Misery Index, which in case you do is so very wrong on your end.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:43 pm 

androdion wrote:
Two Dying Fetus? I sure missed that one... Unless you mean Misery Index, which in case you do is so very wrong on your end.

Why?

"You make it easy."

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:15 pm 

The Lions Den wrote:
androdion wrote:

Why?

Because while Misery Index has similarities with Dying Fetus they do have their own thing going on for over ten years now. It's not like they're blatant copies, they have a different approach and sound, and there has never been any name dispute (at least to my knowledge) but rather "songwriting differences".

Plus, and if you haven't noticed my sig, Misery Index are pretty fucking good! :p

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:56 pm 

Oh I also love Misery Index and agreed about the difference on songwriting.

But the fact is after the (friendly) split John and Jason start two separate band that play the same style of music, with some differences ok, but the style is the same.

P.S. I really know your signature trust me :-D

"You make it easy."

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:44 pm 

Alrighty then! :D

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:11 pm 

Nicke Andersson hardly does this for the money. He's made his share with Hellacopters.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:18 pm 

Porman wrote:
Nicke Andersson hardly does this for the money. He's made his share with Hellacopters.

He should then fucking get on with it, WE NEED A NEW DEATH BREATH ALBUM.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:08 pm 

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:
Opus wrote:
Laughing at what?

I don't know, maybe doing a oh-so-trendy reunion by playing a death metal album (which contained only trad. band instruments) with a humongous choir and a symphony orchestra (fucking silly), and at the same time catching cool waves at the media with these versus-scoops.

OK. I don't find that laughable though, just strange and unnecessary. On the other hand, I don't see how more Entombed with Nicke Andersson would be a bad thing.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:00 pm 

I guess Alex Hellid is out of "Entombed". According to Swedish media, LG registered it as a trademark and three weeks later Hellid did the same.
Two Entombed's now... One consists of LG and the new boys and the other of Hellid, Cederlund and Andersson. At least the can always revert to being called Nihilist.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:54 pm 

Oh yes, I'd nearly forgotten Death Breath existed. I've been meaning to get their stuff.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:00 am 

Any sort of official statement from the real Entombed, er Nihilist, or whatever they are?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:52 am 

Well I'd call that Blabbermouth article an official statement.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:52 am 

Promo CDs for the new Entombed have already been shipped, though an advice followed by the record company that reviews should not be published before years end/early 2014.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:41 am 

If Nicke 'swedish death's master', Alex and Uffe turn the thing in a primordial Nihilist line up then it's mandatory to call Johnny of Unleashed and put some evil togheter...

"You make it easy."

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:25 am 

I dont have a lot of faith in Johnny putting out anything that good.
Entombed have save for same difference been putting out a lot better material than unleashed has since ever.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:45 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
Entombed have save for same difference been putting out a lot better material than unleashed has since ever.

I think the key here is that Hedlund was of the original Nihilist lineup, whether he contributes anything is irrelevant.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:28 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:

That's just crazy talk. Unleashed are on a streak of 5 great albums in a row now.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:54 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:

Totally disagree.

"You make it easy."

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:21 pm 

Hedlund wasn't an original member of Nihilist. He joined in 88.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next