Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:32 am 

Mystic Prophecy-Gods of War

I actually like a bit of this but there are two aspects keeping me from fully enjoying the song, the first being that shitty modern production sucking the soul out of the music. The thrashy intro immediately got me hooked into the song but as soon as you hear that melodeath squeaky clean modern production it gets a little bad, not to mention the drum tone which is the same issue I had with the new Satan's host its just made to sound overloud. The riffing is great and varied from the faster part to the groove chugging and the solo toward the end, overall a good song but damn that modern production to hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e7rR2KJ ... re=related

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:51 pm 

Veracs wrote:

Invocator - Altar of sacrifice

Well this is a pretty awful Slayer cover. I will credit them with at least trying to make the cover unique, but the result is an utter mess. The guitar tone is too thin and the percussion just overwhelms the song. It'd be alright if the drumming added some bit of creativity to it, but it's just too clangy and loose, and the whole sense of rhythm just becomes murky and muddied. And that solo in the middle is a half-assed marriage of the worst aspects of shredding and Slayer worship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InIrP0Ustvk

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:50 pm 

Amerigo wrote:

Nice little track; not something I'd listen to on any regular basis, but well-done for what it is. Heavy, primitive (bordering on the simplistic) riffs paced at an angry, semi-stoned crawl, backed-up by some pretty solid, thorough drumming (albeit a tad repetitive and predictable, and let's not make it a habit, but I'll actually mention the drum sound: I find it way too thin, small and clear for what the guy's doing) and a hardly audible token bass. Over this we have loud, harsh, angry-ish, well executed vocals; all too well, actually: sounds like a technique thoroughly applied as opposed to actually sounding pissed-off, varied or emotional to my ears. They really overdid the fine little "arpeggio-that-sounds-so-eerie-cos,-you-know,-we-used-this-oriental-sounding-scale-everybody-uses-to-sound-eerie" section, and the solo felt like a boring how-to-play-metal-solos video off of some YT channel to me. I just find the guy doesn't inject much feelings in his work, I guess. Still a fine song for Roots/Vulgar enthusiasts, I suppose.

My turn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgjfikeRcIo

Buprenorphed
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:15 am 

Thashierthanthou wrote:
Spoiler: show
Thats weird i was just watching an anime and the main characters have JUST entered Cocytus, 'Giudecca' which is somehow integrated into greek AND egyptian mythology.... Go figure...

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:40 am 

Opprobrium (Incubus) - Massacre Of The Unborn

When at first the band's name and title popped up after clicking the link I thought I didn't knew the band. But as soon as the cover pic appeared I instantly recognized it and then also read the name in brackets - Incubus. Never listened much to them back in the 90s but the name and coveer artwork I have seen numerous times in catalogues and magazine ads. The song really kicks ass. Sharp, heavy thrash riffing which often crosses the borders towards DM, great drumming. The vocals are also delivered in a great way and switch between rough thrash shouting and sometimes a bit more guttural ones. A screeching, classic thrash solo in the last part of it completes this very cool song. Def. enjoyed this and wonder why I never got myself the album back then as this was the kind of music I loved in the early nineties!

my turn again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmfcepYkU_g

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:19 am 

Tröjan - Chasing the Storm

That was a refreshing does of traditional/speed/power? metal, the recording was rough, but still successfully retained all of the vital features of the music. The vocals seem accomplished, and the vocal arangement is catchy, and quite evocative and epic-atmoshpere'd. There is plenty going on too, with a lot of lead guitar, and plenty of technicality, while the drums pound away more-than-adequately in the background, although with better production, of course, they'd be a little more pronounced. All in all, the song is excellent, and I'll be looking up the band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QHBbpdV0zA

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:29 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:

There's a rather odd and bulky mix of influences at play, here: primarily 80's heavy metal with a passing nod to USPM, but there's also the raw, thick production values and gang shouts akin to thrash, the surprisingly radio-friendly punk/rock-ish (think Green Day or The Offspring) chorus, and the "I don't give a fuck, it's solo time! let's make some loud larsens in-between a few quotations of the main melody" solo, which hmm... well, this doesn't belong to a genre so much as it does to a fairly low level of musicianship. Vocals are decent, albeit not quite impressive, and hard to focus on since they're buried deep down under the rythm guitar like everything else in the mix. Songwriting wise, it's too long, a bit repetitive and overly borrowed (the Maiden-ish melody over the base thrash riff is a potent section, though), but it's okay. They might come up with something interesting eventually.

Here (crank up the volume by a lot, it's quite low):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2pZ3KQdj1s

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:49 am 

LegendMaker wrote:
Here (crank up the volume by a lot, it's quite low):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2pZ3KQdj1s

How ironic that the band's name is Loudness. :lol: Well, traditional metal is not my forte, but oh well. I like that song - has a logical sense of progression, the riffs are solid enough, and the solo was pretty good as far as solos go. I liked the dreamy leads at 2:20, but I get the feeling they would have fit better at a different part of the song - perhaps at the beginning or as an outro. Also, the break in momentum after the solo was pretty unnecessary. And the vocals were a bit weak (they could stand to be a bit closer to the front in the production), but they do their job on the solos. Overall, not a bad song but not something I'd listen to regularly either.

Now for something way further into my own comfort zone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7fjHlzZ1Ts

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:15 am 

@grauer_mausling: Glad you liked Incubus, man. I never really got why they weren't more popular back in the day. The only half-decent reason that's been pointed out to me was because of some of the views enforced in their lyrics, like this one which is fiercely anti-abortion, but I don't buy it: I dig the shit out of this song, and yet my view is pretty much the opposite one; so not a strong argument. Also, it was really a shocking disappointment to me (one of a handful) when they ended up changing their name to avoid legal complications from the hip-hop act that formed 5 fucking years after them (at which point the real Incubus already had two albums out). It's the kind of thing that pisses me off; it also probably didn't help them to regain their momentum later on. Anyways, I consider 'Beyond the Unknown' their best, but 'Serpent Temptation' is well worth your time as well; the come-back stuff is more than decent, but not in the same league.

MalignantThrone wrote:
How ironic that the band's name is Loudness. :lol:

Yop, I didn't think of that. :D

The originaly vinyl already has a quite low overall volume, even by early 80's standards, but on top of that whoever ripped it and uploaded it to YT didn't do a bang-up job either (they also cut it a few seconds too early). But well, I didn't let that stop me from posting it. Even though the sheer quantity of stuff available on YT is astonishing, including a lot of rare stuff, sometimes (multiple times for this thread) I happen to need a specific track, album or even band handy that's just never been uploaded, or not in an ideal format. So here, I compromised a little.

Also, I can confirm that your own comfort zone is not a place I'd be willing to visit too often. Surely, there's plenty of room where we can meet halfway, though. :metal:

EDIT: Oh, could you include the band and song name that you're reviewing in your post? That'd be cool.

MalignantThrone wrote:

First of all, I'm really grateful that this is quite a short song (although I would have preferred this length to be honest). This about sums up what I generally keep away from most grindcore (or death/grind or goregrind or whatever this is) for: repetitive, bare minimum chugged riffs, little to no variations or sense of structure except for tempo changes, and vocals that encompass just about all that my non-metalhead friends could come up with to mock metal: muffled, samey woof-woofs, comical pig squeals, and what sounds like a 12 years old boy who just got punched in the balls (the short line where I hear "bury your temptation"). Not a fan of the few effects either, be it the clang-clang or the high note on the whammy bar. The production job is good, still.

Here goes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l4jOuLV-gg

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:47 am 

LegendMaker wrote:

Alright, Sacrilege - Seduction Nocturne

This reminds me of Dissection crossed with the more florid style of melodic death metal (I'm thinking of something like The Gallery, although that's not an album/band that I'm too familiar with). At any rate, I'd say that this is done with a degree of tact and certainly isn't awful crap like Whoracle or what have you. I can appreciate it, although, I certainly prefer the earlier style of melodic death metal (see: At the Gates's debut, parts of Merciless's Unbound, Desultory's Bitterness). The problem here is the unintentionally happy sounding parts. After the cool - if somewhat predictable - acoustic intro, the bouncy drums enter and then we get that folksy melodic riff... which just seems a little too "rumpa-rumpa-rumpa" dance-with-a-beer-in-you-hand for lack of a better term. It seems quite out-of-place. Interesting, but not my style, really.

Here's mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXS1xwANebA

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:30 pm 

Bulldozer - We Are...Italian

An interesting song title. I've heard good things about Bulldozer, but never really got around to listening to them much. The band sound very raucous and packed with energy, and the drums are relentless and energetic, albeit slightly over-emphasised and repetative. The guitar seems very high pitched, almost to the point of sounding too thin. Nonetheless, it's memorable and a reasonably strong track, even if production lets it down a little bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvvCes_2gpw

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:36 pm 

@Ancient_Sorrow:

Thanks man! I've always wanted to check out Züül but had forgot about it oh so many times. Now I listened to your song linked a bit above and it's fantastic. Totally digging their sound and going to order it right away (think I'll take a shirt, too ;) ).
This Mini-Review Thread is very fine. Found quite some stuff I never searched for intentionally (via a rec-thread or so) but which really brought fresh music to me...

As for your latest link - I can't listen to it here in germany. Some labels' artist/songs are blocked on youtube here in germany ("thanks", GEMA) and I only see the artist and I can only see the artist's name and song title... :/ Fucking "licensing disputes" thingy....

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:12 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
The problem here is the unintentionally happy sounding parts. After the cool - if somewhat predictable - acoustic intro, the bouncy drums enter and then we get that folksy melodic riff... which just seems a little too "rumpa-rumpa-rumpa" dance-with-a-beer-in-you-hand for lack of a better term. It seems quite out-of-place.

That's interesting, and a bit puzzling to me, because well, what you described here is something I find tons of songs, albums, bands, and whole scenes guilty of: the Santa metal syndrome, in short. I've been firmly lobbying for this syndrome's eradication for years (you might have stumbled upon a few of my rants about this on the forum, and even in this very thread). But here, I don't see it as such. I mean, I see where you're coming from to an extent: rhythm wise yes, this section is pretty upbeat on first listen, and it does roughly resemble something festive and possibly joyful, but the melodic progression has nothing to do with the cheerful type one might expect (as in your description) and is rather melancholic instead (in minor scale), resulting in what I consider a strong effect: the passage goes through the motions of apparent happiness, but a concerning vibe and even a hint of sorrow kill the hope right in the womb. There are several moments in this song that I feel the same way about, and I think it's done on purpose, because every such passage transitions into a section with an unequivocally desperate mood, which to me is all deliberate, and I must add, brilliant songwriting. I understand we might perceive and appreciate emotions in music differently, though. Or were you somewhat misled by the rhythmic patterns as I described?

grauer_mausling wrote:
This Mini-Review Thread is very fine. Found quite some stuff I never searched for intentionally (via a rec-thread or so) but which really brought fresh music to me...

Agreed, and same here. The list of cool finds thanks to this thread goes on and on (I've actually been keeping one, along with who to express my gratitude to for posting what). Futhermore, I love the random factor of this thread; it's good fun and interesting too; even stuff I bashed in my mini-reviews I'm glad I was given the opportunity to try out.

grauer_mausling wrote:
As for your latest link - I can't listen to it here in germany. Some labels' artist/songs are blocked on youtube here in germany ("thanks", GEMA) and I only see the artist and I can only see the artist's name and song title... :/ Fucking "licensing disputes" thingy....

Yeah, it really baffles me when they do that; first because it's pointlessly retarded (it's on the Internet, you really think a country restriction is going to be effective?) and also because it's seemingly random. In this case, it's apparently fine by YT if I stream this Irish song from France; but if you try it in Germany, suddenly it's a sin? :lol:

Anyways, I was about to offer you "troubleshooting" so as to help you to review the song, but... you'll have to review mine instead, sorry. This is too good! :p

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:

I'm quite fond of this song, nice find! This is melodic black metal that's half-bitter, half-outraged, subtle yet powerful, classy but not pretentious. It's a long song, but it really delivers and doesn't feel repetitive or forced in any way. Strong performance of an excellent composition, with very convincing vocals, awesome riffs (both the thrashy ones and the dreamy tremolo BM ones), very balanced yet pounding drums, extremely effective song structure, fine, authentic sounding arrangements (loved the violin solo), and a nearly perfect production. What's not to love? Thanks, man! :metal:

My turn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGotofr_qjU

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:05 pm 

Sins Of Omission-Eager For The Fray

Thanks for posting this; I remember listening to this band about a year ago, but had forgotten about them. Fairly gothenburgy, but some of the riffs, such as the one at around 34 seconds, gives me a bit of a melodic black metal vibe. I might just be talking out of my ass here, but some of those melodies remind me of classical music melodies that I've heard in the past. Great song overall, thanks for reminding me that these guys exist.

And now for something that we all can enjoy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5nl4P4CUkI

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:16 pm 

Artillery - By Inheritance

Not much to say about this one. Slick riffs, great vocals, classic thrash for great justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjPNnv9EUpk

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:37 am 

Agent Steel - Wash The Planet Clean

Ok, my first contact with Agent Steel after knowing at least the name since many, many years. While I thought of them as a US power/speed metal band, this song now kind of suprised me with a distinct thrash metal sound, especially in the guitar and drum section. Instrumentally (do you say so in english? not sure...) "Wash The Plante Clean" clicks with me quite instantly and the riffs delievered come along quite crunchy and powerful.
However what more or less "ruins" this song to me are the vocals. I've never been a fan of this kind of, so to say "higher pitched thrash vocals" in the Overkill/Annihilator vein and there's just sth about the vocalist I don't like in addition to my personal off-turn of that singing style. Technically his voice isn't bad at all (though top notch neither) but it just strikes a "don't like" area in ym brain and as such making me don't wanna occupy myself further with Agent Steel. Just not my cup of tea but now another band can be checked off my "only know the name" list ;)

and here I go again (on my own *sing*, hehe)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31pWl8uk66U

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:08 am 

Bewitched - Dressed in Blood

Oddly enough, I found out about this band literally five-minutes-ago, and I'm pretty certain I like them. They've got the evil, black metal edge, but the riffs are very streamlined, sharp and deadly, which makes the song catchy, as well, which is really enjoyable, even if it's more simplistic than some black metal, it's very enjoyable for this - I wager I'll remember the song quite well, after only a single listen. The cleaner vocals towards the end were also an unexpected and cool-sounding twist, and all in all, the song is pretty darn solid, and It's definitely on an album that I have every intention of having a look for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsCGPCjkKUk

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:59 am 

Root: "Darksome Prophet"

Felt an instant jolt of excitement as I realised who this was and that I'd not heard this song before. Coincidentally I spent the whole night with a couple of friends Saturday after our jam drinking beer and watching live Root videos on the internet, since we'll be seeing them in less than a month now. This song was extremely intense and it's amazing that after so many years, and so many progressive experiments, the band still throws a song like this at listeners every so often. I really like the blasting drums and furious dual-guitar attack during the instrumental passages of the song; they are getting close to copying that Blackie style of full-chord guitar playing that's been missing from the band a little lately. Still kind of something absent from the guitars during the vocally-dominated sections, as if they feel they ahve to dial it back and just hammer on the e string or a single chord while Big Boss is making his incantations. Nevertheless these parts don't really seem the focus of such an intense song, and the chugging before the short solo section actually works really well. Love the chanting vocals toward the end. Cool song; got to check out this new album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d_4dciWZqs
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:53 pm 

Babylon Sad - Pictures of Paradise

Another Doom/death cd I never got back then for some reason, and that's something I need to change! Swiss band that sound like a mix of old Celtic Frost and the Dutch death and doom scene of the mid 90's. The half-midtempo of this track is quite odd, and reminds me of Dutch bands like Creepmime and Threnody. Definitely something progressive or avant-garde for a rather conservative metal subgenre. Check out Phlebotomized for a similar 'free' take on it, or maybe German band Dark Millenium.

Let's stay in this area for one more:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7CITKHm1P4

Edit: Oops, I meant to post a track from the album that had vocals, since the one posted above is mainly instrumental. Here's another track from same cd, but with more vocals. Choose whatever or review both:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn48WCllmOk

Last edited by Helvede on Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:05 pm 

Helvede wrote:
Babylon Sad - Pictures of Paradise
Another Doom/death cd I never got back then for some reason, and that's something I need to change! Swiss band that sound like a mix of old Celtic Frost and the Dutch death and doom scene of the mid 90's. The half-midtempo of this track is quite odd, and reminds me of Dutch bands like Creepmime and Threnody. Definitely something progressive or avant-garde for a rather conservative metal subgenre. Check out Phlebotomized for a similar 'free' take on it, or maybe German band Dark Millenium.

Strangely, I never really heard doom in this album at all...just rather moody progressive death metal with some keys. NOt too atypical of the time, and yeah, they are a bit like a more progressive Creepmime now that you mention it, with more of a grounding in the US death metal sound I feel. Too bad most of the album isn't really as good as this track.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:03 am 

Sinoath - Sinoath

This song is a nice pece of Death/Doom. After some sort of intro starting as a mid paced DM song quite reminiscent of the sound Tiamat played on "The Astral Sleep" (minus the slight classic metal influenes Tiamat included partly). A haunting, strange and eerie sounding keyboard adds a somewhat mysterious element while the furious growled vocals put in the element of aggression. Towards the song's half, Sinoath step apart from the mid-paced tempo and go into some slow doomy break to make room for the synths to take on an even more odd style of playing while after that going back to the former Death/Doom mix. This is sth I possibly would have loved in the early 90s. Nowaday it's not "my" genre that much anymore but leaving personal tastes aside it's a damn good song.

my turn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOO0pgotV0o

draterami
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:35 am 

Ocean Machine - Night

The almighty Devin Townsend, with his best album. His vocals are a bit more untrained and rougher compared to his later material on this album. Extremely passionate singing though. This song in particular has a very driving feel to it. The drums push it along at a constant pace, with a few interesting flourishes. The riffing is very basic, sticking to chord progressions, focusing on the subtle keyboard melodies, as well as the vocals. The song is just fantastically catching, with a soaring chorus and bridge, you just can't help but tap your foot along to it. Absolutely love DT, and this song is testament to his ability to make deep, catchy and beautiful songs.

Next up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esQ4ZlNMYA4

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:08 pm 

In Mourning: "Amnesia"

With a name like that, I was really expecting something doomy, or maybe gothic. What this is instead is some kind of modern progressive metal. Those are some pretty nice rhythms actually, not wanky but instead rather infectious. The vocals though..how can I say this? They weren't bad really, but it felt as though they belonged in a completely different sort of music..IE, something heavy and gloomy and portentous and not a heavy fusion band. Around the 1:20 mark I heard some background cleaner gravelly shouts/singing that sounded a bit more appropriate, but they were barely noticeable in this song at least. I enjoy the prominence of the bass here and the playful and virtuosic playing in the last minute. I think I'd like this band a little more if they just became a full-on modern prog rock band.

Which is exactly what this one did..but they were metal here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pjtj4iGaOk

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:34 am 

In Mourning started off as a gothic deathish band, but eventually jumped on the proggy melodeath wagon.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:31 pm 

@ draterami:

Cheers to another Ocean Machine lover ;) Imo this album, and esp. the song "Night", is some of the best music of all genres ever composed!

Forgotten Silence - The Beauty

phew, that song took me some listens (equaling "some time" due to it's length) to make a decision. To cut it short: again a song here reminds me somewhat of Tiamat's "The Astral Sleep", however this time taking said style along with prog and jazz influences. Basically it's mainly the kind of mysterious atmosphere found on Tiamat's album while the prog stuff definetely makes up the major part. So, slow to mid paced Death/Doom with some use of synths, growled vocals and lots of (really, lots!!!!) of breaks, tempo changes and jazzy parts. Though I enjoy some prog stuff every now and then (with Marillion to Fish times being one of my big loves in music), this is just too much for me nd I would even call it "work" to listen to this kind of music. For my personal taste it has too many different directions, too many breaks and besides that I hate all kind of jazzy stuff. Don't get me wrong - it was an interesting listen but after some spins of this I have to say I'm finished with this band (and jazzy-prog Death/Doom possibly in general).

alright, new song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45FsJF9xUsI

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:59 pm 

Viikate - Viina, Terva & Hauta.

That was some oddly enjoyable, incredibly cheesy hard rock/power metal type stuff. Seems catchy as hell, and the video has got some crazy humour in it. If I had a clue what the lyrics were, I'm sure that would add something to the music too. All in all, the whole song was a magnificently flowery occurence, but that doesn't stop it from being fun, and definitely something I'd walk cheerfully down the street listening to. Interestingly, it does actually sound pretty epic in places, despite being what appears to be quite a humerous piece (I may, of course be mistaken, I don't know a thing about what the song title and lyrics mean)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_fKEGuLf_Y

draterami
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:32 pm 

Petrychor - Gamma Leonis

The song starts out with a short little piano intro. Not really a tune to it - just hitting a few keys every now and then. I'm not really sure why they included it. The piano is dissonant, whereas the rest of the song is fairly melodic and "beautiful". The music being played here is essentially post-rock, in the vein of Red Sparowes or Russian Circles. So it's a bit on the heavier side of things. Lots of tremolo, with a focus on soaring melodies. Vocals are well and truly in the background. They're black metal style screams, but it's really unimportant. They may as well have written an instrumental song. Indeed, it sounds like the vocals were an afterthought, put in a few months after the song had been recorded. About 5 minutes into the song, the guitarist starts soloing, with the vocals still going on the background. Overall, the song is fairly inoffensive background music. It would have been better as a pure instrumental in my opinion, but as it is, I would not have a problem listening to it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THPWp9ZshQs

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:09 pm 

draterami wrote:

Some quality stuff right here, although not of the type I'm open to (for the most part). What happens if the respective trademark styles of Pantera, Nickelback, and 'Gothic'-era Paradise Lost are extracted in liquid form, thrown in the same cauldron and stirred up to boiling point? Well, modern days Paradise Lost, apparently. The melancholic intro (up to the Nickelback vocals barge in) certainly doesn't leave me cold; I really like that riff even when it comes back later on in the song (like at 1'39''). The bland-chugga-chugga-for-dummies parts, whether they have the NB vocals or the pathetic attempts at a modern "tough guy" approach on top of them, not quite so much, no thanks. The production job would do Bob Rock proud: blackalbumized chewing gum to the core. Lyrics are cliché to the point of being laughable: time waits for no one, indeed. For some reason, the delivery of the "Crawl through the mist to the masses..." line reminds me of "through the mist and the madness...". Kids will probably dig this, but I'm past this now.

How about this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_UUORB3wpM

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:56 pm 

Cirith Ungol - Paradise Lost

Enjoyable traditional metal, with quite a light feel - a lot of the effect of the song is spawned not by where sound is, but where it isn't. The sound that this leads too is quite enjoyable, and the song is memorable and vaguely catchy, in a way which people just don't seem to make songs anymore. Despite the initial feeling of simplicity, there's still quite a lot going on in the song, and it's well-formed in terms of solos and bridge-sections. It's not the usual style of traditional-metal that I'm used to, and predates quite a lot of it, but it was nonetheless thoroughly enjoyable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zepm3nt3tRY

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:17 pm 

Pest - Blasphemy Is My Throne

Awesome lo-fi black metal. Pretty clear Darkthrone influence, but not worship. Also puts me in mind of Vlad Tepes. The vocals are grim, hatefilled, the riffs are fast tremolo goodness and the drums are surprisingly really catchy and well executed. Plus the groove at around 3:35 is so headbangably awesome that it killed my dog. Satan is proud, great song man. Thank you.

In honor of Skyward Sword....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI7XpC06ODI

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:23 pm 

ThePoop wrote:

Oh boy. This melody is a cover/ripoff/homage, and I'm certainly familiar with the original(s), but I can't remember it for some reason. With a name like Gannondorf, the cover art and all the related links in YT, it might have to do with Zelda, but the main theme also reminds me of a classical tune and the solos of an old Gary Moore song. Anyways, this is a really amateurish joke project at best, and not worth my time. Hastily hacked up together wannabe symphonic, likely programmed keyboard layers backed up by crappy techno-sounding computer drums and a decent albeit quite generic yarf-yarf BM-style vocal line (buried far behind in the mix). The only things of value here are the original melodies, which are rather joyful and can pass for epic (but it's borrowed/covered/ripped-off so no credit there), and the lead guitar work which is pretty good (the guitar sound is fine too, if a bit too strong on the trebles). Burp! Attaboy; now do a real song...

Here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXzVGFjiipk

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:42 pm 

LegendMaker wrote:
ThePoop wrote:

Oh boy. This melody is a cover/ripoff/homage, and I'm certainly familiar with the original(s), but I can't remember it for some reason. With a name like Gannondorf, the cover art and all the related links in YT, it might have to do with Zelda, but the main theme also reminds me of a classical tune and the solos of an old Gary Moore song. Anyways, this is a really amateurish joke project at best, and not worth my time. Hastily hacked up together wannabe symphonic, likely programmed keyboard layers backed up by crappy techno-sounding computer drums and a decent albeit quite generic yarf-yarf BM-style vocal line (buried far behind in the mix). The only things of value here are the original melodies, which are rather joyful and can pass for epic (but it's borrowed/covered/ripped-off so no credit there), and the lead guitar work which is pretty good (the guitar sound is fine too, if a bit too strong on the trebles). Burp! Attaboy; now do a real song...

Here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXzVGFjiipk

Sacramentum - Obsolete Tears

Wow, I'd heard the name and seen the cover about but never looked into them. Great melodic black with hints of death metal. Nice riffs and vocals and a very fitting production. Sir, thank you. I shall be buying their material asap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ0PsdMGFJM
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

Mayhem1349
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:18 pm 

Herne-Metamorphosis
Holy... Shit, Amazing. When i heard the opening riff i knew it was going to be a great band. While they were kicking my ass with there extreme speed they suddenly slowed it down and made it even better. Great song will be checking out there debut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYSfF-ULBdA

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:25 pm 

Mayhem1349 wrote:
Herne-Metamorphosis
Holy... Shit, Amazing. When i heard the opening riff i knew it was going to be a great band. While they were kicking my ass with there extreme speed they suddenly slowed it down and made it even better. Great song will be checking out there debut.

Yeah I love it too. Was waiting for the album release for about a year (kept getting put back)

Herne is Sceot (Symbel and Bretwaldas Of Heathen Doom) and Morten B of Thulr
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

Adept128
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:39 pm 

Brocas Helm - Helms Deep

The same awesome, high-flying, old school heavy metal that we all know and love from Brocas Helm. This song is in typical BH fashion, with fast tempos, well developed songwriting, and an impressive performance from all the members. The first riff starts off slowly, but then twists and turns into an exhilarating gallop for the rest of the song. Possibly the only flaw is the poor production, but at least everything is audible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1AetUzl4LQ

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:18 pm 

Eschaton - An Instrument Of Darkness

This...wasn't too bad I guess, extremely competently played and constructed, with some searing vocal work underpinned by solid, blast happy drum work. Comparisons can be drawn (slightly) to Behemoth with it's blistering brand of black/death, weaving a tale of pride and malevolence - pummeling when needed, yet showing some restraint to make sure the faster sections are not wasted in their delivery or power. The sound of the guitar when palm-muted to my ears sounded a little stale though, and didn't contain enough crunch for my tastes - however, it is crisp enough when the power chords ring. Actually, the production as a whole is squeaky clean, which I found a little underwhelming and off-putting, but it does work for them. Not bad, but I wont be hunting it down.

Here we go!

My collection

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:31 pm 

Bastard Priest- Visions of Doom

Swedish as fuck, right down to the vocals (which sound a lot like LG on "Left Hand Path"). Pretty cool stuff, very simple, but effective. The little mid-paced break towards the end is pretty sweet. Honestly, I'd probably never buy an album from these guys, but that doesn't mean they aren't doing good things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb01CfEdkGI

My newest obsession. Turn off the lights and give this one a chance.
Death metal is eternal.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:36 am 

I really enjoyed that Eschaton song above. It strongly reminded me of Sulphur, Svart Crown and the likes. Modern, sinister death/black done right.

Midnight Odyssey - Fallen from Firmament

Hmm, ambient black metal. Not my kind of thing, seeing as how I really could not enjoy the first 7 minutes of that song. Interesting soundscapes and all, but I just did not find it engaging. Perhaps if it was reduced to about 2 to 3 minutes it would have been more tolerable. Thankfully the heavier section was much more interesting, with a much stronger atmosphere. The vocals were a bit too loud for my tastes, somewhat drowning out the constantly tremolo picking guitars. The vocals were also of the pretty generic "echo-y tortured shriek" variety. The drumming was decent enough, gradually rising in intensity to build up to the final section. The ending was pretty disappointing though, as I had expected something with more... "oomph". I can see why some people would like this song (and genre), but frankly, I probably wouldn't listen to it again.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:01 am 

You didn't add a song, dude.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:19 am 

MalignantThrone wrote:
You didn't add a song, dude.

Yeah, this sucks. Just when the thread was flowing nicely again (it's been stuck for up to 24 hours a couple of times over the past week, and even ended up on page 2 once). Even worse: I actually had a good half hour to kill before going to work, and was rather eager to mini-review something. Oh well. :lol:

Okay, triggerhappy comes here often enough, let's give him 24 hours, shall we? I suggest that after this delay, if he has yet to submit a song, whoever visits the thread first submits one instead.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 72  Next