Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:56 am 

I dig the "Old Metallica" patch

wallowinsqualor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:14 am 

Juggernaut140 wrote:

Haha thanks, I made that along with the Dissection and Tombstalker (represent) patches

Juggernaut140
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:44 pm 

So I'm guessing Mad Patcher patches would be a bad purchase?

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:54 pm 

wallowinsqualor wrote:
Juggernaut140 wrote:

Haha thanks, I made that along with the Dissection and Tombstalker (represent) patches

how do you make your patches? from those pics they look pro made. also nice vests, the "old metallica" one gave me a good laugh.

EDIT: @juggernaut140, I've never ordered from mad patcher but most people say his patches suck so I wouldn't bother.

wallowinsqualor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:53 pm 

MortalScum wrote:
wallowinsqualor wrote:
Juggernaut140 wrote:

how do you make your patches? from those pics they look pro made. also nice vests, the "old metallica" one gave me a good laugh.

EDIT: @juggernaut140, I've never ordered from mad patcher but most people say his patches suck so I wouldn't bother.

- Print out the logo you want in black
- Trace the outlines on the paper side of freezer paper
- using an iron on the low setting place the "waxy" sinde of the freezer paper on the cloth of your choosing
- carefully cut out the outlines with an exacto knife, you may need to continue to go over the paper with the iron for the intricate stuff to make sure it stays down
- Paint what you cut out with fabric paint and let them dry for a few hours then peel off the excess freezer paper.

simple as

Juggernaut140
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:10 am 

MortalScum wrote:
wallowinsqualor wrote:
Juggernaut140 wrote:

suck how? Do they fall apart or something?

Caerb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:45 am 

Crut wrote:
PAANKSTER wrote:
I have two, although only pictures of one of them. The other is more heavy/thrash oriented, and has considerably more patches. Links, since I can't be bothered resizing:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh74 ... kutte2.jpg
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh74 ... kutte2.jpg

How do you get that black embroidered border around the patches? they didnt come like that did they?

No, they look like that because I used a sewing machine. At least thats' the way my mother's sewing machine does it.

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:35 pm 

Juggernaut140 wrote:
MortalScum wrote:
wallowinsqualor wrote:
Juggernaut140 wrote:

I've heard they tear and fade VERY easily

also, thanks for the tip wallowinsqualor I'll try it out

Juggernaut140
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:55 pm 

MortalScum wrote:
Juggernaut140 wrote:
MortalScum wrote:
wallowinsqualor wrote:
Juggernaut140 wrote:

I've heard they tear and fade VERY easily

also, thanks for the tip wallowinsqualor I'll try it out

I don't plan on wearing the vest that often but there's gotta be a way that I can preserve them.

Juggernaut140
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:06 pm 

Like, make them last longer. right?

ChurningtheMaelstrom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:21 pm 

Juggernaut140 wrote:

I would just stick with embroidered and woven patches, screw the Mad Patcher since apparently his shit doesn't stand the test of time. I've ordered from Rockabilia, Abyss Records, and Catacombs for my patches, and I've got a decent variety of bands. As for getting the most out of your patches, sew them on as tight as you can, and don't treat your vest like toilet paper and you should be ok. Pic of my vest forthcoming....

BlashyrkhMR101
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:48 pm 

Went ahead and took updated pictures of my vest here, it is a strange mix yes, although I just noticed after uploading the pictures that the bottom of the last image is randomly really white, but it's an Unleashed patch with a home-made patch with Hitler and a gun in his mouth, which says follow your leaders...

Hegg_The_Norsk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:38 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Alot of people I am around see a fancy sports car or tricked out SUV and are floored with awe or envy. Not me. I think Hegg_The_Norsk's vest(and taste in bands) is more worthy of such admiration. God, I love real metal.

Why thank you.

Juggernaut140
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:27 am 

ChurningtheMaelstrom wrote:
Juggernaut140 wrote:

I would just stick with embroidered and woven patches, screw the Mad Patcher since apparently his shit doesn't stand the test of time. I've ordered from Rockabilia, Abyss Records, and Catacombs for my patches, and I've got a decent variety of bands. As for getting the most out of your patches, sew them on as tight as you can, and don't treat your vest like toilet paper and you should be ok. Pic of my vest forthcoming....

But he has Bolt Thrower patches ;_;

okram_09
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:20 am 

i got one, still in the making though. There's a website. www.tshirtslayer.com everyone puts there patched jackets and vests on there, everyone check it out. I'll even be posting my metal vest on there once its done!

Bryce288
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:49 pm 

wallowinsqualor wrote:
MortalScum wrote:
wallowinsqualor wrote:
Juggernaut140 wrote:

- using an iron on the low setting place the "waxy" sinde of the freezer paper on the cloth of your choosing
- carefully cut out the outlines with an exacto knife, you may need to continue to go over the paper with the iron for the intricate stuff to make sure it stays down
- Paint what you cut out with fabric paint and let them dry for a few hours then peel off the excess freezer paper.

simple as

I tried this method, works pretty well. Do you have any tips for doing a's and o's. What I've been doing is just cutting the middle of them off and ironing them back on when I'm putting the freezer paper on the fabric.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:10 pm 

okram_09 wrote:
i got one, still in the making though. There's a website. www.tshirtslayer.com everyone puts there patched jackets and vests on there, everyone check it out. I'll even be posting my metal vest on there once its done!

this link was posted a couple of pages back, but it has exclusively a metal vest/kutte collection. tshirtslayer is still cool, but thought maybe you had missed that link. or you could post yours to both websites if you want.

ExtremelyXBadXBreath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:25 pm 

I've scoured the internet for a large Accused logo patch, big enough to go across the top of a jacket, preferably embroidered.It doesn't seem to exist. Any ideas?

saevus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:00 pm 

If you guys want something along the lines of Mad Patchespatches but don't want to pay that price for that crap-

Buy some t-shirt tranfer sheets at Walmart. Print off any artwork (hopefully you can find high enough resolution to print it off at 150-300ppi at a small enough size) onto the sheets.

Then cut out the artwork and iron it either to heavy black fabric which you can then hem if you wish) or directly onto your battle jacket.

The same problems will arise. It will fade after washing unless you follow a pretty specific method (cold only, no or little detergent, line dry) and even then it won't last, even if you never wash it like I don't. The image will also be distorted if your image isn't a high enough quality, and will be shiny from the ironing.

You should get the same quality as that guys stuff, and I'd be very suprised if he uses any other technique than what I have suggested here. This isn't something I'm interested in though. I have some t-shirts made the same way and they look and feel like crap (the image is heavy, bulky and always a tiny bit sticky, making it feel strange and unpleasnt against your chest).

I think the fabric paint method is superior, even if you can't get nearly the detail unless you're an actual artist such as myself, and you are willing to spent a rediculous amount of time getting the same results.

I'm going to try my hand at hand-embroidering some patches soon though. I'm going to start simple with Gravewurm (US) and Bestial Mockery ones and see how it turns out.

wallowinsqualor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:01 pm 

Bryce288 wrote:
wallowinsqualor wrote:
MortalScum wrote:
wallowinsqualor wrote:
Juggernaut140 wrote:

simple as

I tried this method, works pretty well. Do you have any tips for doing a's and o's. What I've been doing is just cutting the middle of them off and ironing them back on when I'm putting the freezer paper on the fabric.

Yeah, whenever you have pieces that aren't "connected" you just have to be careful when it comes to the painting and continue to iron them throughout the cutting process.

Juggernaut140
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:12 pm 

saevus wrote:
If you guys want something along the lines of Mad Patchespatches but don't want to pay that price for that crap-

Buy some t-shirt tranfer sheets at Walmart. Print off any artwork (hopefully you can find high enough resolution to print it off at 150-300ppi at a small enough size) onto the sheets.

Then cut out the artwork and iron it either to heavy black fabric which you can then hem if you wish) or directly onto your battle jacket.

The same problems will arise. It will fade after washing unless you follow a pretty specific method (cold only, no or little detergent, line dry) and even then it won't last, even if you never wash it like I don't. The image will also be distorted if your image isn't a high enough quality, and will be shiny from the ironing.

You should get the same quality as that guys stuff, and I'd be very suprised if he uses any other technique than what I have suggested here. This isn't something I'm interested in though. I have some t-shirts made the same way and they look and feel like crap (the image is heavy, bulky and always a tiny bit sticky, making it feel strange and unpleasnt against your chest).

I think the fabric paint method is superior, even if you can't get nearly the detail unless you're an actual artist such as myself, and you are willing to spent a rediculous amount of time getting the same results.

I'm going to try my hand at hand-embroidering some patches soon though. I'm going to start simple with Gravewurm (US) and Bestial Mockery ones and see how it turns out.

Jesus, who the fuck does this Mad Patcher dude think he is charging $6 bucks for these things then?

saevus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:19 pm 

Juggernaut140 wrote:
Jesus, who the fuck does this Mad Patcher dude think he is charging $6 bucks for these things then?

I think it's a general thing. A lot of crafts-oriented things cost what they do becuase the person is actualy willing to spend the time to do them, expecially with the time it takes to hem, which is actually more than puttng on the art transfer. Still, I think he should probably be charging less than what he does, but if people are buying from him, he can charge whatever the fuck he wants.

But yes, if you want to do it yourself, you could probably do an entire jacket for about $20-30 at Walmart, your home printer and a clothes iron. You could actually do something really cool if you cut every thing out to fit together collage-style all over a jacket.

Juggernaut140
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:51 pm 

saevus wrote:
Juggernaut140 wrote:

I think it's a general thing. A lot of crafts-oriented things cost what they do because the person is actualy willing to spend the time to do them, expecially with the time it takes to hem, which is actually more than puttng on the art transfer. Still, I think he should probably be charging less than what he does, but if people are buying from him, he can charge whatever the fuck he wants.

But yes, if you want to do it yourself, you could probably do an entire jacket for about $20-30 at Walmart, your home printer and a clothes iron. You could actually do something really cool if you cut every thing out to fit together collage-style all over a jacket.

I may actually do that.

So you're the guy who did that Space Marine art for Terra Caput Mundi?

ExtremelyXBadXBreath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:22 pm 

After reading this entire thread (as well as a similar one on the NWN board) I made a snap decision to buy a cheap black denim jacket off Ebay and cover it with patches. Goddammit.

Juggernaut140
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:44 am 

God damn patches are expensive

Juggernaut140
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:29 am 

I got 200 pyramid studs and I don't really know what to do with them. Tips?

Thrasherjohn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:51 am 

wallowinsqualor wrote:

my latest project:

I've got a shitload more homemade patches to add but I'm just being a lazy bastard about it

that old metallica patch is fucking hilarious lol

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:43 am 

My vest is very much a work in progress. Waiting for some patches to arrive in mail, but I got my backpatch and decided to sew it on. My buddy provided me with the denim and did the studs. Just wanted to show the backpatch, which is fucking awesome.

and what the fuck, the few and very limited front side:

I plan to rearrange and tile this when I buy more patches, this was done with what I had so the patches weren't just sitting around.

Some of the patches ordered/on their way and that i'm getting include: Bludwulf, Holocausto, Sarcofago, Abigail, Bathory, Venom, GISM, Discharge, Municipal Waste...hoping to get Poison (Ger), Pentagram (Chl), Dark Angel, Inepsy, Sodom, NME, Beherit, Blasphemy, and other patches as well soon. Hopefully when I get those, I can post some pictures of the end result.

Also still getting studs for my leather jacket, but that's another project waiting until the fall for, since the vest is for the summer.

Fuck you lazy people who glue patches on. Take the time to sew them on, or have someone you know do it if you don't know how to sew very well. If you want to rearrange patches later on it's a lot easier and won't make the denim look like shit, also they'll stay on a lot more securely, and much better if you do so. I've seen people who glue patches have them ripped off during shows and shit.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:23 pm 

Finally I can get some pictures up of my jacket. This is most of what I plan on having, I'll eventually put on a Warbringer and Black Sabbath one, hopefully I can find a cool Death and Possessed one.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:35 pm 

It's certainly very...clean.

I love wallowinsqualor's first one. I really dig that old crust punk styled vest, and I'd love to put one together that looks like that. I'm basically having the same issue with patches that stops me from buying metal shirts...I'd just rather spend the money on cds.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:38 pm 

The jacket itself? The jacket was a gift from my grandmother, I assume she just bought it new from wherever under 50 bucks I was told. I've only had it barely 5 months.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:39 pm 

Well the jacket is certainly pristine also, but the whole thing just comes across as very...clean and precise are the only words I can come up with. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, it's just not the style I prefer. I'm sure once you wear it to some shows, spill beer on it, fray the ends, etc it will start to look a lot more proper.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:44 pm 

I know what you mean, I've only been to 2 shows with it so far but I figure after years of wearing it it shall be at the proper look most go for.

I wanted to get a black denim, but those seemed impossible to find cheap or I'm just a dumbass.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:51 pm 

I thought they would be hard to find also, but you know the fucking deal I just casually mentioned to my grandmother I was looking for a black denim jacket and she called me after like a week and said she had TWO I could choose from.

So far I've cut the sleeves off and thrown it in my closet...

Thrasherjohn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:14 pm 

The_Boss wrote:
I know what you mean, I've only been to 2 shows with it so far but I figure after years of wearing it it shall be at the proper look most go for.

I wanted to get a black denim, but those seemed impossible to find cheap or I'm just a dumbass.

you can get lucky at a thrift store every now and then but they are pretty rare for some off reason

Thrasherjohn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:47 pm 

wallowinsqualor wrote:
MortalScum wrote:
wallowinsqualor wrote:
Juggernaut140 wrote:

simple as

thanks for the tips i wanna try this out and make an incubus and sabbrabells patch when ever i get the chance

saevus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:07 pm 

I just bought a screen printing kit, so I'll probably try my hand at some cloth patches once I can figure out how to use the goddamn thing and stop ruining all of my expensive supplies...

Juggernaut140 wrote:
I may actually do that.

So you're the guy who did that Space Marine art for Terra Caput Mundi?

Yep, and some other artwork for a few other really bad ass bands.

upthemetalpunx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:03 pm 

saevus wrote:
I just bought a screen printing kit, so I'll probably try my hand at some cloth patches once I can figure out how to use the goddamn thing and stop ruining all of my expensive supplies...

how much was the kit? I'm thinking of getting into printing as well

Presenting, Doomcore.

FUCK. Just when you thought something was sacred :nono:

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:06 pm 

The_Boss wrote:
Finally I can get some pictures up of my jacket. This is most of what I plan on having, I'll eventually put on a Warbringer and Black Sabbath one, hopefully I can find a cool Death and Possessed one.

Hey, you've got the same Bathory patch I have in the same place as my jacket :P

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:19 pm 

Nice vests everyone, about to upload mine I just got in a sec.

Last edited by slayerhatesusall on Wed May 06, 2009 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 88  Next