Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
__MULLIGANACEOUS__
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:16 pm 

Yep. With my Napalm and Icarus Falkenbachs I can prove the difference between an Original and a Regional/Licensed disc!

TheTrueSeker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:37 pm 

I've been burned by these shitty licensed releases one too many times. I honestly have a hard time buying anything off of Amazon any more due to every used disc seller somehow having thousands of these CDs (which aren't even supposed to be available outside of Argentina, Belarus, Antarctica, whatever!) in their warehouses. Even on Discogs, you gotta check that shit carefully.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:36 pm 

What about Mercury? I just bought the first few Motorhead albums on vinyl and some of them are by Mercury but I see that Bronze is the original label... Apparently the Sanctuary reissue is shit.
I saw a thread a while ago about Back on Black and how they sucked, although I've got a few by them and they seem ok.

__MULLIGANACEOUS__
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:27 pm 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
I used to own that Seven Churches cd myself, but I sent it back because the asshole who sold it on Amazon advertised it as the deluxe cross-shaped digipack I was looking for at the time.

I have an Anathema Alternative 4 digipack cd which looks and sounds about the same reissue from Peaceville, and three Meshuggah cds from Nuclear Blast's "reloaded" series which seem equally fine to me, the only difference in this case being that they came in regular jewel cases as opposed to the super jewel cases NB was using for the reloaded reiussues at the time (not a problem for me since I hate those things).

All of these records are a few years old, though, so no idea how they're handling business as of late.

chaossphere wrote:
Just avoid anything from Argentina and you'll be fine. That country just seems to have really shitty factories for some reason. In general, licensed reissues are a decent way to pad out your collection without breaking the bank for a first press, but those Argentina and Russian ones are really only meant to be sold in their local territories. Problem is, those labels don't seem to give a shit and will sell CDs to anyone they can make a quick buck from, even if it means selling them at a heavily reduced bulk rate.

hmi wrote:
I have a couple of Icarus cds including Death - Spiritual Healing, the first Morgoth, and Possessed - Seven Churches, and possibly a few I'm not aware of. Like someone else mentioned, I got them all by accident ie the seller did not disclose they were Icarus or listed on ebay saying it was a non-Icarus label because some people and stores aren't careful.

hmi also wrote:
Why I don't like Icarus: they sell brand new cds for a flat $5 a piece, and they're licenses. The bands can't be making much money off of that. It can be tempting to buy a cheapo $5 cd but I rather hold out for a used copy or from another store selling a non-Icarus for more than $5. And they have a listing pop up for half the things I search on ebay. The label seems too shysty for its own good even though I know they're not bootlegs. For this reason I avoid Icarus and was dissappointed each of the times I discovered I unknowingly got an Icarus cd. I also avoid the other label - Del Imaginario Discos? - I've read their discs are flimsy etc.

A way to avoid getting these licensed rereleases (Icarus, Scarecrow, Irond) is to ask the supplier or seller prior to declaring that you will order this item.
In my case, I simply assumed that my 4 discs will be Napalms as there is no explicit notice that it is actually an Icarus (even in the additional notes!), according to Amazon. The Heralding and Tiurida discs are all listed as limited-edition digipacks. However, as I know that MUSICSHOP780, is a well known supplier of Icarus discs, I asked them. They ultimately confirmed that I will get the Icarus, again, with no explicit notice otherwise, and 2 weeks later, I got these Icarus discs from Argentina!

Have you asked the supplier prior to getting these releases? If yes, did they state that it will be a licensed-label release?

Last edited by dreadmeat on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ott formatting removed, please don't do that

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:47 pm 

Lagartija wrote:
What about Mercury? I just bought the first few Motorhead albums on vinyl and some of them are by Mercury but I see that Bronze is the original label... Apparently the Sanctuary reissue is shit.
I saw a thread a while ago about Back on Black and how they sucked, although I've got a few by them and they seem ok.

I understand Back on Black started out as really crappy, but got their shit together along the way. No idea about Sanctuary, but older Motorhead vinyls, as most records were, were pressed by different labels in different territories back in the day.

__MULLIGANACEOUS__ wrote:
Have you asked the supplier prior to getting these releases? If yes, did they state that it will be a licensed-label release?

No, I didn't, because the release was very clearly listed as the Century Media deluxe digipack (I'm talking about Seven Churches). Since there are different entries for different versions, I had no reason to believe I would be getting something else. Mistakes do happen, but back then I had no clue I should have been paranoid about this. As for the other releases I mentioned, I believe I got them through Season of Mist but I can't even remeber precisely when by now.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:25 pm 

__MULLIGANACEOUS__ wrote:
Lord_Jotun wrote:
I used to own that Seven Churches cd myself, but I sent it back because the asshole who sold it on Amazon advertised it as the deluxe cross-shaped digipack I was looking for at the time.

I have an Anathema Alternative 4 digipack cd which looks and sounds about the same reissue from Peaceville, and three Meshuggah cds from Nuclear Blast's "reloaded" series which seem equally fine to me, the only difference in this case being that they came in regular jewel cases as opposed to the super jewel cases NB was using for the reloaded reiussues at the time (not a problem for me since I hate those things).

All of these records are a few years old, though, so no idea how they're handling business as of late.

chaossphere wrote:
Just avoid anything from Argentina and you'll be fine. That country just seems to have really shitty factories for some reason. In general, licensed reissues are a decent way to pad out your collection without breaking the bank for a first press, but those Argentina and Russian ones are really only meant to be sold in their local territories. Problem is, those labels don't seem to give a shit and will sell CDs to anyone they can make a quick buck from, even if it means selling them at a heavily reduced bulk rate.

hmi wrote:
I have a couple of Icarus cds including Death - Spiritual Healing, the first Morgoth, and Possessed - Seven Churches, and possibly a few I'm not aware of. Like someone else mentioned, I got them all by accident ie the seller did not disclose they were Icarus or listed on ebay saying it was a non-Icarus label because some people and stores aren't careful.

hmi also wrote:
Why I don't like Icarus: they sell brand new cds for a flat $5 a piece, and they're licenses. The bands can't be making much money off of that. It can be tempting to buy a cheapo $5 cd but I rather hold out for a used copy or from another store selling a non-Icarus for more than $5. And they have a listing pop up for half the things I search on ebay. The label seems too shysty for its own good even though I know they're not bootlegs. For this reason I avoid Icarus and was dissappointed each of the times I discovered I unknowingly got an Icarus cd. I also avoid the other label - Del Imaginario Discos? - I've read their discs are flimsy etc.

A way to avoid getting these licensed rereleases (Icarus, Scarecrow, Irond) is to ask the supplier or seller prior to declaring that you will order this item.
In my case, I simply assumed that my 4 discs will be Napalms as there is no explicit notice that it is actually an Icarus (even in the additional notes!), according to Amazon. The Heralding and Tiurida discs are all listed as limited-edition digipacks. However, as I know that MUSICSHOP780, is a well known supplier of Icarus discs, I asked them. They ultimately confirmed that I will get the Icarus, again, with no explicit notice otherwise, and 2 weeks later, I got these Icarus discs from Argentina!

I did start asking after I got the Morgoth cd (my second icarus cd) because I was so disappointed a seller would do that and know a lot of people on ebay don't care too much about their listings and do a half-ass job just to get it done. The possessed cd I bought off elsewhere and the seller didn't disclose it was Icarus and I just assumed it wouldn't be but yeah, my fault for not double-checking. I always check if in doubt now. Worst case scenario is some of the huge media stores say something along the lines of "We can't check our inventory because it's in different warehouses." Well, why don't you check it as you're listing it, especially in cases where they don't even list the record label? Ebay's gone to hell anyways and half the stuff I buy isn't as described, music or otherwise.

But you're right, double-checking is the best way to avoid what you don't want. Assume everyone is a half-ass and double-check just to be sure.

__MULLIGANACEOUS__
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:59 pm 

hmi wrote:

I did start asking after I got the Morgoth cd (my second icarus cd) because I was so disappointed a seller would do that and know a lot of people on ebay don't care too much about their listings and do a half-ass job just to get it done. The possessed cd I bought off elsewhere and the seller didn't disclose it was Icarus and I just assumed it wouldn't be but yeah, my fault for not double-checking. I always check if in doubt now. Worst case scenario is some of the huge media stores say something along the lines of "We can't check our inventory because it's in different warehouses." Well, why don't you check it as you're listing it, especially in cases where they don't even list the record label? Ebay's gone to hell anyways and half the stuff I buy isn't as described, music or otherwise.

But you're right, double-checking is the best way to avoid what you don't want. Assume everyone is a half-ass and double-check just to be sure.

Amazon and Ebay Epic Fail. That happened to me! :D

Last edited by Metantoine on Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stop using a colored police, for fuck's sake.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:22 pm 

I don't get why Nuclear Blast and Napalm continue to deal with this label when they're obviously allowing their own sales to be undermined. Surely they must lose a fair amount of revenue from people who don't know any better loading up on cheapies instead of buying their own pressings.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:36 am 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
I understand Back on Black started out as really crappy, but got their shit together along the way. No idea about Sanctuary, but older Motorhead vinyls, as most records were, were pressed by different labels in different territories back in the day.

That's what I thought, thanks :)

PS: I checked last night and have a few Icarus CDs, including Satyricon's 'Nemesis Divina'. I thought at the time that the cover, booklet and CD looked 'unfocussed', seems I was right. The others (including the aforementioned 'Transilvanian Hunger') seem fine.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:55 am 

Free from Icarus collection here :lol:

their cd (booklet, cd...) is worst than z-grade bootleg, stay away from.

"You make it easy."

__MULLIGANACEOUS__
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:41 pm 

I wonder if there are any pictures that prove the difference between a licensed cd (Icarus) and an original (Napalm)

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:02 pm 

You'd probably have to scan them at high resolution. I could arrange to do that with the Summoning - Old Morning's Dawn since I gave the Icarus version to a friend so I can just borrow it from him temporarily.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:25 am 

Merged, this is what this thread is for after all :nods:

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:17 pm 

Immolation - Stepping On Angels...Before Dawn has this been bootlegged? :scratch:
This thing is usually closer to $100+ but now they are popping up for $50 and in "mint" condition.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:27 pm 

Could be the Metal Mind reissue from 2008.

Asti78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:12 am 

dreadmeat wrote:
Immolation - Stepping On Angels...Before Dawn has this been bootlegged? :scratch:
This thing is usually closer to $100+ but now they are popping up for $50 and in "mint" condition.

I would rather have rated it around $50-60, at least looking at prices you can buy it in Europe from time to time. $100+ is way above any realistic value. I can't remember a single sale in the 3-digit area
Good users: ins88(2x), Oligarch, Mr_Belvedere(8x), coldsunproductions, Apostate, narlotep, Kubrat(5x), caine(2x), nothenam(2x), Mysticus(2x), Peststurm(3x), Brandanschlag, MDeth, MikeyC, SepticTomb, thunderbelial, KevinPage, Desekrate, WASPcollector, Wolfhead(2x), Mephs, ...

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:06 pm 

It's not worth $100 that's for real! :nono:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:23 pm 

chaossphere wrote:
Could be the Metal Mind reissue from 2008.

Never did I hear this was reissued... Is this for real???

http://www.discogs.com/Immolation-Stepp ... se/5748151

Seems kind of sketchy doesn't it? Uncharacteristic matrix, I can't spot a CAT#, no MM logo nor holographic seal. I mean, is this real or what?!

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:08 pm 

More reason for someone to reissue that bastard already.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Asti78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:22 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
It's not worth $100 that's for real! :nono:

It is also not worth $50
Good users: ins88(2x), Oligarch, Mr_Belvedere(8x), coldsunproductions, Apostate, narlotep, Kubrat(5x), caine(2x), nothenam(2x), Mysticus(2x), Peststurm(3x), Brandanschlag, MDeth, MikeyC, SepticTomb, thunderbelial, KevinPage, Desekrate, WASPcollector, Wolfhead(2x), Mephs, ...

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:04 pm 

I think anyone who has heard the material would agree with that Asti78, I just want it for my collection.

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:14 am 

chaossphere wrote:
EyesOfGlass wrote:
Summing up, yes, they plain suck and they're a mediocre label when compared internationally, but at a national level, they're actually decent. If you can pass over their high prices and shitty re-issues, they kind of do their job around here. So, try to stay away rom Icarus if you're not from South America.

Trust me, no one goes out of their way to buy those shitty CDs. I avoid them like the plague, in fact I even boycotted an entire distro just to avoid the fucking things.

oddbanana on ebay sends you those Icarus and other junk presses without any mention of it in the auction

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:17 am 

Hey guys, you've noticed how in the past few months copies of John Petrucci's Suspended Animation started to appear at low prices, mint condition and from the Eastern front? Does anyone know how to spot the differences between the original and the boot?

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:12 pm 

thesilentenigma wrote:
oddbanana on ebay sends you those Icarus and other junk presses without any mention of it in the auction

I had that happen before. I opened a case and got my money back. Its funny, they kept sending me messages in broken English asking me to leave positive feedback lol

If someone hates Mexican/South American pressings, avoid these sellers like the plague: fast.metal.canada, chuff000, metalpinns, musicshop780 (used to be music from argentina, I think), etc. I Love how some of them try to pass these off as legitimate limited editions and slag Russian pressings (which are probably better). I guess you get what you pay for...

It pisses me off more when I get these shit pressings from distros like Century Media, The Laser's Edge, The End Records, CDConnnection, etc.

prisonerofourtime
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:41 pm 

Hi!, I have a doubt about 'Club Edition' CDs, for example this King Diamond - Conspiracy, have a little 'barcode' thing in the matrix, not this thing comes out like in 1994 or later?, why there some early 80s / 90s with this thing if there is not IFPI code, ¿maybe re-press or what?...

They are good to buy them or nah?

Spoiler: show

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:15 pm 

That barcode thing is on the matrix of every CD pressed by DIDX, nothing wrong with those. Club editions are identical to regular CDs other than having a different catalog number and barcode (or sometimes no barcode), they were pressed in the same factories by the original labels for supply to mailorder music clubs. The "club edition" seems to have been a US-only thing, I used to get CDs from a New Zealand club back in the day and those were just regular pressings with no difference to the ones available in stores.

prisonerofourtime
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:06 am 

Oh ok, thanks, next question, there is a Anacrusis repeat CD versions on discogs except 'russian' edition with matrix information, but I see many like that, so what is the correct matrix to the "official release" or just change the font or what?...

first link, unknown information

http://www.discogs.com/Anacrusis-Manic- ... se/1980863

russian, just matrix information

http://www.discogs.com/Anacrusis-Manic- ... se/7295941

kyzanar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:41 pm 

Well this is what the original looks like:
Spoiler: show

Last edited by kyzanar on Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
prisonerofourtime
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:58 pm 

Thanks, just the matrix changes or any other thing too?

I said, because some people mix CDs with other booklets or covers on different version...

kyzanar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:00 am 

I've edited my last post because I am not sure the second picture was actually of the bootleg, as the font and spacing looked identical to the the original, it may have just been weird lighting hiding the other parts...

But yes, the matrix is the best and easiest way to identify a bootleg, even it it contains the same letters/numbers, it will usually be in a different font and/or spaced differently. As for the inserts they are almost always identical to the original, but they won't have the proper wear you would expect a 20+ year old item to have.

As for discogs, you're not going to want to buy from those Russian/Greek/Lithuania/Bulgaria etc. that are selling that cd. Even then I would always give the seller your e-mail and request a matrix picture before purchasing.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:25 am 

The inserts will generally be printed on lower quality paper. Also the resolution will be inferior because they're made from copying the original inserts digitally, so you'll be able to see pixelation. But yes the easiest way to spot a bootleg claiming to an old pressing is wear and tear, even when handled with utmost care a CD will still show signs of use and aging after 20+ years.

Asti78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:04 am 

I would disagree with this point of yours:

chaossphere wrote:
But yes the easiest way to spot a bootleg claiming to an old pressing is wear and tear, even when handled with utmost care a CD will still show signs of use and aging after 20+ years.

I have a bunch of CDs that I bought new in the early 90s which I only played once or twice and you definitely do not see the smallest tab on the booklet or any other mark on the CD. Jewel cases are easily to replace so thats no reference. It might be an indication if it looks mint but this does not 100% indicate that it is a bootleg.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:14 am 

I guess what he meant was that bootlegs will more often than not have a characteristic feel and smell, like it was just printed the other day. It's not foolproof I agree, but when you pick an obvious bootleg it will smell like fresh ink so to speak and the feel of the paper will be like if it was never opened before. Even if you haven't played those albums for 15-20 years I'm sure the simple fact that they aren't shrink-wrapped and have (even though little) contact with air will make them have a different feel. Paper ages just by being exposed. But again I agree, it's not a 100% valid method, though it can be helpful.

Aaattaack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:31 am 

I agree, also the jewel cases of 80s and 90s were way studier than the shit that they sell you today.

Recordcollector
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:33 am 

older CDs which are only printed one side of the tray card will sometimes have a slightly yellowing on the non-printed side, looks almost like a shape of a CD, brand new items will not have this discolouring.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:43 am 

^Yep, this. Also, I have lots of CDs where the ink on the right-side title tab has faded from UV exposure, even though everything else is in immaculate condition. Paper just ages, even if left alone. Plus the ink and processing methods used these days gives the paper a different texture, and the paper is usually either too glossy or too rough on bootlegs.

AcidMind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:20 am 

Any ideas about Sempiternal Deathreign / The Spooky Gloom with matrix D.O.C. - 80222, which recently appears in some distros? Ugly quality of print / CD ...

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:55 pm 

I haven't seen it but it's definitely a boot since that album was never reissued and never will be.

lovely3311
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:31 am 

European pressing is on Steamhammer, and there was a North American edition on RC Records (Roadrunner).
Just sold my copy on ebay. It ended at $20.50. I have seen it go for twice as much. So,somewhere between $20-$40.
I also have the version with the white disc and so does someone else i know. I never seen the other version though.

BreedingtheSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:06 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:
thesilentenigma wrote:

I had that happen before. I opened a case and got my money back. Its funny, they kept sending me messages in broken English asking me to leave positive feedback lol

If someone hates Mexican/South American pressings, avoid these sellers like the plague: fast.metal.canada, chuff000, metalpinns, musicshop780 (used to be music from argentina, I think), etc. I Love how some of them try to pass these off as legitimate limited editions and slag Russian pressings (which are probably better). I guess you get what you pay for...

It pisses me off more when I get these shit pressings from distros like Century Media, The Laser's Edge, The End Records, CDConnnection, etc.

Watch out for this seller on Amazon Marvelio, I placed an order with them for two Messhugah CD's, and got the Icarus music pressings in the mail, which was irritating. Also metalseason on Ebay and Amazon sell Mexican pressings of releases.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 65  Next