* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:21 am 

Maniac Matis wrote:
DreamOfDarkness wrote:
What happened/happens to the second Control Denied album? Since 2010 every few months or so they say that they are working on it, but to me it doesn't seem that they are acutally doing very much because aside from a single picture showing Shanon Hamm in a studio no material/information has been published. Oh, and every few days some fan asks for news on the recording process, but not a single one of them ever got an answer.

This seems to remain the greatest mystery...

This was from December last year, looks like they're finally getting some work done on it:
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m ... mID=183722

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:44 am 

Why did Kataklysm release that crappy sounding live album entitled "Northern Hyperblast Live" (1998) ? It sounds as though it was recorded by a walkman in someone's thick winter coat which had been checked at the entrance.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:58 am 

Empyreal wrote:
He has some kind of throat infection or illness, which prevents him from recording. The health reasons are pretty legitimate, so no need for the quotation marks around it.

Oh, thank you... sorry if the quotations gave that kind of vibe, I wasn't doubting about the truth of it all.

Foralltime
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:47 pm 

Satyr (Satyricon) has dark brown hair, but on "Nemesis Divina" he has blond hair, what the heck ? Did he really dye his hair or what ?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:16 pm 

Foralltime wrote:
Satyr (Satyricon) has dark brown hair, but on "Nemesis Divina" he has blond hair, what the heck ? Did he really dye his hair or what ?

He actually has a rare disease that causes his hair color to wildly vary. You should have seen him on the early demos when it was bright green!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:00 pm 

Foralltime wrote:

Not only.Satyr but also Varg, Abbath, Samoth and many others dyed their hair to black or darker tones back in the day but they are blonde or light brown haired. Some of them still do it.

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:00 pm 

I don't want to comment on anyone specific, because that's gossip, but generally when a metal musician is unable to act on an otherwise successful career, drugs are to blame...

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:49 pm 

If the last comment is toward Sylvain Houde, gosssip for gossip, word had it (before he quit Kataklysm) that he didn't do drugs or even drank alcohol. The brother of an acquaintance of mine had organized a Kataklysm show at his college, and to keep costs low he had provided accomodation for the band (some variant of couch surfing). This acquaintance of mine told me that Sylvain had told people that night that, due to the strain under which performing the Kataklysm songs live put him, he could not afford to do drugs or drink heavily if he wanted to keep performing well. I don't know how true it was.

But mental illness is real and schizophrenia affects ~1% of the population. It starts manifesting between ages 15 to 30. If not treated, it could prevent anyone from pursuing a career in anything. And let's not forget that singing for Kataklysm, back then, didn't exactly pay the bills and it wasn't obvious at the time that Kataklysm were succesfull. There were other bands around.. it didn't seem like they were on top of anything (and they weren't).

Also, according to Kataklysm's first manager, Sylvain quit the band at least twice between the first EP being released and the first album being recorded (a period spanning one year at most).

If you listen to that interview snippet on the Iron Will trailer, at some point he seems to be giving a sudden and impatient look to the ceiling and making a "stop it now" gesture.. I don't know how edited that was, but it looked as if he was trying to communicate with "something". I'll have to watch the whole interview for sure, and even then.

This said, only a doctor can diagnose schizophrenia, and with a live patient.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:59 pm 

Ok, just read this, apparently this is all old news:

"We put the interview in as is because it was Sylvain's time. He has mental issues and a lot of people know that. He was diagnosed with schizophrenia back in the day, and I don't know if he's taking his meds or not. I'm just surprised we were able to track him down and get the interview done. I wanted to give Sylvain his moment, and if he's able to start a band and do something we wish him all the best."
http://www.bravewords.com/features/1001217

Foralltime
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:40 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Not only.Satyr but also Varg, Abbath, Samoth and many others dyed their hair to black or darker tones back in the day but they are blonde or light brown haired. Some of them still do it.

So you mean Satyr's (and others) natural hair color is blonde and he dyes his hair all the time ? That would be freaking ridiculous. How do you know that ? I'm really curious.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:41 am 

what's so ridiculous about that?
lots of people i know dye their hair all the time

Foralltime
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:20 am 

joppek wrote:

Is it wrong that I find it a little bit wierd when a men dyes his hair ?

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:27 am 

Do you also feel the same way about eye shadow? And jewelry? Not to mention Ozzy also dyes his hair.

I don't think it's weird at all. He's not bothering you with it, or is he?

Last edited by henkkjelle on Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:32 am 

Foralltime wrote:
joppek wrote:

Is it wrong that I find it a little bit wierd when a men dyes his hair ?

where are you from if you don't mind my asking? i suppose it's quite region dependent how common it is...

Foralltime
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:18 am 

joppek wrote:
where are you from if you don't mind my asking? i suppose it's quite region dependent how common it is...

You're probably right. It's not really common in my country (Poland) and it's probably the reason I find it wierd.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:57 am 

Foralltime wrote:
Kveldulfr wrote:

So you mean Satyr's (and others) natural hair color is blonde and he dyes his hair all the time ? That would be freaking ridiculous. How do you know that ? I'm really curious.

All examples I named are easily tracked to older days. Guys dyed their hair to black for the same reason they used corpsepaint - in fact, it was to complement the aesthetics. Nocturno Culto also did it - the guy is obviously blonde but see his hair in UAFM era. Look for early Immortal pics or the Call of the Wintermoon video. Samoth now uses his hair natural but his early Emperor pics are all with black hair. Varg is the same. Horgh's case is the same too, besides I met the guy there are promo pics with Hypocrisy where his hair looks brown, not black.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:42 am 

Abbath too?
man, I knew it, there can't be that many dark-haired norsemen

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:04 pm 

None of us are dark-haired. That is, unless we have a parent or grandparent with foreign ancestry, but most black metal musicians are pure scandinavians.
That said, what's so ridiculous about dying your hair? I don't do it myself and I don't plan to, but if corpse painting and dressing in leather and spikes aren't frowned upon, why should hair-dying be?

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:00 pm 

joppek wrote:

Personally I don't find it that weird but for some reason I find it kind of surprising within metal. Of course, thinking about it, it does make sense (hard to imagine a black metal band with corpsepaint and light blonde hair), but, you know... It's hard to explain but I guess you get my idea.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:29 pm 

TheLiberation wrote:
(hard to imagine a black metal band with corpsepaint and light blonde hair),

Stupid fashion!

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:44 pm 

I kinda feel like when once on a forum I often used eating pizza with a spoon as an example of something completely pointless and uncomfortable, and then a guy actually did that and posted a video of it. :lol:

gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:25 pm 

On the dying hair/coloring topic..is it just me or was Bruce Dickinson was almost blonde in the NOTB/POM days?

It definitely got darker over time..

I will please entry anus
Oh my god! Give me spicy pussy
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

Adept128
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:23 pm 

gabber wrote:

On the dying hair/coloring topic..is it just me or was Bruce Dickinson was almost blonde in the NOTB/POM days?

If you really want to talk about members of Iron Maiden with hair darkening over time, just look at Dave Murray.

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:39 am 

Marag wrote:
Azordon wrote:
I sometimes wonder about Ildjarn if he's still alive or not. I remember in his interviews almost ten years ago he said he should be dead in five years or so and will live out the rest of his days in a cabin completely isolated from the world. I wonder if he's still doing that or died already or something.

I guess he is still alive. There is a split cd of unrealesed Ildjarn/Hate Forest songs in the works by Osmose Productions, and Vidar apparently approved it. Or so I've heard.

definitely seconding Zephyrous and Hat. They dropped from the face of earth. I'm surprised, specially with all the attention Scandinavian bm has been receiving lately, with all the documentaries and so on, no one ever tried to track them down. Zephyrous in particular, played in all of the legendary Darkthrone releases, and not even Fenriz knows where he is.

Zephyrous: Ted / Nocturno Culto still has some contact with him occasionally, and even commented back in 2006 around when cult is alive came out that he would welcome him to guest on songs again. I guess story is he was suffering from alcoholism and ended up blacking out and getting into a major accident. This on top of a further lack of input into Darkthrone caused him to leave as by the time he left it was mostly Fenriz and Nocturno Culto writing, and i believe even in the mid 90's Fenriz has been said to have more or less done all the recording or writing (can't recall which) at the time himself. This was also when Darkthrone was its most quiet, not doing any interviews or publicity at all until either 1999 with ravishing grimness or 2000's with plaguewielder or hate them.

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
Here's one I've had for a while.

For anyone who has heard the earliest Jacula albums from 1969-the early 70s or Antonius Rex's first album/albums from around 1974, how is it physically possible that music that heavy could have been written in the late 60s early 70s???

I mean, that was another thread I was thinking of starting at one point, because I don't know a whole lot about music theory and technology, but I would assume that certain types of guitars, amps, pedals and other technology were created at some point, probably in the 80s as that is when EXTREME music really began, that made it possible for TRULY heavy extreme metal to be played.

And I would assume whatever guitar or musical technology that made extreme metal possible did not exist in the late 60s/early 70s because literally NO Other music existed that was as heavy as Jacula or Antonius Rex, other than one other band, called Supernaut, who is another "mystery" band to me.

For anyone who has heard the album, it came out in 1974 and was on the Kissing Spell label, written by a band called "Supernaut" who supposedly formed in england in 73, and broke up in 75.

Again, the album is heavier than anything else written at that era, and I have heard rumors that Kissing Spell has some fake artists that they claim to be from an earlier time, perhaps this is one.

So yeah...does anyone have any answers as to how it's possible that the Jacula, Antonius Rex and Supernaut albums could have been as heavy as they are and written that early on???

I mean, Jacula and Antonius Rex albums have black metal riffs that would not sound out of place on albums from the 2000s.

I simply refuse to believe that those riffs were written in the late 60s/early 70s and sounded like that at that point in time cause I don't think the technology existed.

I think the band members must have gone back and reissued those albums with new guitar put in.

And has anyone else on here heard of Supernaut??

thanks

Its been discussed it seems, but generally technology was there so it was at least possible. There's some bands late 60's who could rival sabbath in heavyness. A pressing of the 1969 jacula album does exist, but chances are being from Italy and likely a private press recording it went unnoticed.

Not a credible source but an ex-girlfriend told me that when listening to darkthrone's a blaze in the northern sky album her father was reminded of a college friend who was from Germany and would often listen to records from bands in Eastern Europe, East Germany, and likely other parts that sounded very similar. The recollection could really mean anything as he couldn't remember what any were called, but it never seemed unlikely that very raw and heavy guitar tone albums did exist in the late 60's and early 70's especially. Black Sabbath was residency in Germany during these years prior to their first album, and if someone had seen them at this time, and definitely when the albums were coming out may have taken their style and influence and took it a step further, thus early 70's rock albums could be very doomy and heavy.

In relation to extreme metal and music and the sound, well evolution does occur with the arts in a way as well, and it might have been a natural progression in general. The techology being there already, but just how to use it. Unconventional types may take a while to get noticed, and probably were even ignored vastly, but eventually when one breaks through, more come to try and top it, and the cycle just keeps going to eventually lead to where we are now. Its always be there, just don't expect the 1971 version of altars of madness to sound the same.

gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:58 am 

Adept128 wrote:
gabber wrote:

If you really want to talk about members of Iron Maiden with hair darkening over time, just look at Dave Murray.

Indeed...

what's with that??!

I will please entry anus
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:19 am 

Hair sometimes changes color over time.

I'm naturally blonde, but in most of my baby pics my hair was straight up jet black.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:59 am 

TheLiberation wrote:
(hard to imagine a black metal band with corpsepaint and light blonde hair), but, you know... It's hard to explain but I guess you get my idea.

It looks very kvlt on b&w photos

And as a rule, hair darkens as one gets older, until it starts greying. It's common. It even happens with eyecolor, too.
When I was a little kid I had blondish/light brown hair, nowadays its dark as my soul :)

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:06 pm 

AppleQueso wrote:
Hair sometimes changes color over time.

I'm naturally blonde, but in most of my baby pics my hair was straight up jet black.

Hair also gets darker if you cut it short, or brighter during a sunny Summer. When I was a baby I had blonde hair. But I've been a brown bastard for as long as I can remember. Shit, my beard even goes a bit blonde during summer time (that is if it's big of course).

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:10 pm 

My hair was as white as this when I was younger:

Since then it has changed to a superb golden blond color

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:19 pm 

androdion wrote:
Hair also gets darker if you cut it short, or brighter during a sunny Summer. When I was a baby I had blonde hair. But I've been a brown bastard for as long as I can remember. Shit, my beard even goes a bit blonde during summer time (that is if it's big of course).

These things don't necessarily change the color just make it looks like so, except the sun, which can "burn" the hair and gets very noticeable on the tips, the longer the it is, but most of the times it's just the lightning making the lighter strands stand out.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:53 pm 

Marag wrote:
androdion wrote:

These things don't necessarily change the color just make it looks like so, except the sun, which can "burn" the hair and gets very noticeable on the tips, the longer the it is, but most of the times it's just the lightning making the lighter strands stand out.

I can tell you that during a rainy Winter my hear goes almost black, and by Summer it gets really light brown. It may not physically change the colour but it does account for when you take a picture. I have a few pics from the first time I grew my hair and it has a surprisingly redish brown colour.

My point was that the hair "mutates" its colour according to several external factors. ;)

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:27 pm 

People get darker with age, yeah, as a little kid I had a deep red copper-ish colour going on, now I have dark-brown hair.

I still have some copper coloured hairs in my beard, tho, mostly in the chin area

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:08 pm 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
I kinda want to know what happened to john greely of iced earth, I thought his work was really good in stormrider and always wonder why did they kick me out, though it doesn't bother me too much because Matt and now Stu are really good singers too and like the albums they are in too.

John Greely is here in Wisconsin and sings for a groove metal band.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Avoiding_X/107804

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:45 pm 

e_ddi_e wrote:
Why did Chuck Biscuits quit playing drums.

Physical problems, as I recall (back or knees, I can't remember which). Also, when he left Danzig (quit or fired, depending on if Glenn or Chuck was telling the story), Glenn made some comments about Chuck being big into drugs (this was around the same time that Chuck's brother, Dimwit from D.O.A, died of a heroin overdose), which was a big no-no with Glenn and may have contributed to his problems.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:49 pm 

Just wanted to let you guys know that you're discussing hair color, in case you may have missed that.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:34 pm 

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:15 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
Just wanted to let you guys know that you're discussing hair color, in case you may have missed that.

Yes, and I'm still unclear as to whether the members of Iron Maiden colour their fucking hair haha

I will please entry anus
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:42 pm 

I wanted to start a new topic but first i'll see if i can some feedback here...

I'd love to hear some stories about mysterious band members...
Unknown band members of underground gems...bands whose composers' names are hidden or secret...
weird tales about underground musicians...
I know this is a weird "request" and maybe the genre with this kind of people is black metal, but whatever...
if you recall any mysterious fact about any underground musician share it (the guy from Devil Doll, Mr Doctor its a great example)

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Nameless_Rites
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:02 pm 

Lagartija wrote:
I know I said this in my 'Mission Impossible' thread, but:
- Replacing Bruce Dickinson with Blaze Bailey. While I love 'The X Factor' (the least said about 'Virtual XI' the better) it seems they went out of their way to find a vocalist with a radically different style and who was unable to sing the old stuff in a half-decent way.

- What happened to Glen Benton's voice from 'Scars of the crucifix' onwards? I love his vocals on the first four albums but after that it just got (and remains) terrible...

I think Glen Benton is addicted to crystal meth these days; his face sure looks like it, and his voice when he talks sounds all harshed out like he's been smoking glass/crack - he's totally fucking trailer trash too so it wouldnt surprise me. Didnt they get caught with meth on their bus at the canadian border?

Nameless_Rites
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:23 pm 

MaelstromMind wrote:
A few weeks ago I was wondering what happened to John Hand, the kid who was credited as rhythm Guitarist on Scream Bloody Gore although he didn't actually play on it and I came across this video -

So there's one mystery solved. We also can see why he didn't actually get to record anything with Death :lol:

Damn, John Hand ssssuuuuuuuuuucccckssss... who the fuck does that guy think he's kidding? Ive seen 14 year old kids play Death songs on guitar better than that.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next