Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
RacoCooper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:52 pm 

I'm not supporting this "Black Sabbath" reunion. No way I'll see them on tour nor will I buy any new CD they put out.

Want a better tour alternative? See Iron Maiden this summer instead. I'll be seeing them in July and I know they'll put on a better show than this pitiful "Ozzy & Friends" crap. No rockstar drama with them either. :)

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:58 pm 

This has gone beyond childish and is actually down right revolting. Basically the most disrespectful thing a band could possibly do. What the fuck did Ward do to deserve this bullshit? If only the members would comment and answer that question, then at least we could try to make sense of it.

I can't believe I've just lost so much respect for one of my all time favourite bands. No wonder Dio refused to put up with their bullshit on multiple occasions.

tehfoks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:07 pm 

Rofl. This is just funny now. Cropping him out of the pictures? ahahhaahha. What is he? An ex-girlfriend? Ridiculous... :lol:

Smalley wrote:
If I wanted a better version of something, I certainly wouldn't want it to start smoking crack, it'd get all fucked up and gross.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:51 pm 

I really fail to see the humour in this. What the hell is funny about the most legendary metal band making asses of themselves?

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:00 pm 

Razakel wrote:
I really fail to see the humour in this. What the hell is funny about the most legendary metal band making asses of themselves?
Same. There is nothing to laugh about here, not even with a "oh look how childish they are" mentality, this was the last chance Black Sabbath had and now it's all over, spoiled because someone couldn't make or agree to sensible terms for Bill Ward. This is sickening and rage-inducing. Like I have to take a moment to calm myself down and not start a riot - that's the hatred I feel. Not even cancer could wake these selfish fools up and make them stop taking life for granted. This is beyond distasteful, this is absolutely heartless behaviour. I never really stand behind boycotting, but damn me if it isn't justified now.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:12 am 

Pretty ridiculous. I'm wondering how this came about.......

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:23 am 

Geezer Butler posted this statement on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/gzrmusic):

Quote:
I feel sad to see the Sabbath reunion becoming a bit of a soap opera on the internet. It has been a very tough year for us as a band, having announced our reunion plans, only for Tony to be diagnosed with lymphoma, leaving us no choice but to postpone the proposed Sabbath tour, and then for Bill to go public on his site about an un-signable contract. None of us knew how Tony was going to respond to his intensive chemo therapy, and radiotherapy. Ozzy and myself flew to England to be with Tony, and on his “good” days, we’d meet at his home studio and put ideas together for the upcoming album, all sitting down together, no drummer involved, just 3 of us quietly putting together ideas. We thought that when we had enough songs together for a full band rehearsal, we’d move back to L.A and put the whole thing together with Bill. Unfortunately, to our surprise, Bill issued a statement on his site saying he’d been offered an un-signable contract. He hadn’t told any one of us he was having contractual problems, and frankly those things are worked out between our representatives, and never between the four of us let alone in public. We had the idea of keeping just one show in this year, hoping that Tony would be well enough for that show, and that things with Bill would be sorted. As you may expect, a one off show at Donnington Festival (Download) costs an absolute fortune to stage, involving over 50 people, transport, air fares, hotels, meals, agents, promotors, accountants, lawyers etc, so none of us, expected to make much money from it- it was a one off Sabbath show for the fans, before we go into recording the new album. Apparently, this wasn’t acceptable to Bill’s representatives, they wanted an amount that was so unrealistic that it seemed to have been a joke. So we resigned ourselves to doing Download without Bill, hoping he’d change his mind and at least make a guest appearance. We started rehearsals a few weeks ago with Tommy Cluefetos, the drummer who will be on the Ozzy and Friends Tour. Brilliant drummer and good bloke. It was decided we’d better do a warm up show, to break the ice since we haven’t played together live. The O2 Academy was available in Birmingham, where we were rehearsing, so we decided on that, and to make a donation to Help For Heroes Charity, since we’d be ironing out any glitches we may have. Then Bill put out a further statement saying he’d been ready to play the Birmingham show , but he was expected to have to do it “for free”- well, I think that’s basically how you raise money from gigs for charity – you play them “for free”.

All I am saying is that there are two sides to everything. I do hope to play with Bill again some day. For whatever reason; it wasn’t meant to be this time. Bill’s made his decision, and I have to respect that. Hopefully this painful year will be worth the wait for the new Sabbath album and end in joy and happiness for all.

Stay frosty,
Geezer

Cinerary
Fuckin' killed a guy

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:18 pm 

The fact that Geezer can type the phrase "Ozzy and Friends Tour" without the next words being adjlfkjaslhfuioewjdhdfhsdfadkldfjsjkldfsd because he was smashing on his keyboard Hulk-style says more than his entire statement.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:40 pm 

This is getting worse: They removed from the website ALL Dio and Tony Martin albums from the discography!

WTF! This has no excuse. Are Ozzy and co trying to reinvent history and pretend that without him there was no Sabbath?

macrocosm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:24 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
This is getting worse: They removed from the website ALL Dio and Tony Martin albums from the discography!

WTF! This has no excuse. Are Ozzy and co trying to reinvent history and pretend that without him there was no Sabbath?

Hahaha, what a fucking joke. Please let this band die a graceful death, Ozzy, if you have a shred of decency in you.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:29 pm 

double post

Last edited by Dooders on Sun May 20, 2012 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:31 pm 

macrocosm wrote:
Kveldulfr wrote:

Hahaha, what a fucking joke. Please let this band die a graceful death, Ozzy, if you have a shred of decency in you.

Thats pretty lame, considering 3 days ago Tony posted this on his own website:

http://www.iommi.com/index.php?story=157
Hehe, foreskins.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:31 pm 

Scroll up a few posts, Dooders.

Crick

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:44 pm 

Anyone remember this? http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/ ... ell-216195

Kinda weird reading this now.
Hehe, foreskins.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:33 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:

Wow. Has this page always been like that, or did it use to feature the full discography?

Either way, it's both funny and pathetic at the same time. :nono: :durr:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:36 pm 

That's a pretty lame move considering Ozzy is a shit singer and pretty much mentally dead. If there's a new album, I won't be listening to it.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:36 am 

http://www.examiner.com/article/addendu ... mmer-caper

Huh.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:37 am 

Situations like this make me hope that I never reach this point of attention with a band. Once you start talking through your attorneys and all that shit, it's just not fun anymore. As a musician, I know being in a band is hard work and the business side is never to be ignored if you actually want to do something worthwhile with it, but whatever happened to it just being four best friends making music together and enjoying each other's company? I know we don't have the absolutely full story but I don't remember this legal bullshit happening five years ago with Dio and Vinny Appice...

At this point, I'm sure I'd still enjoy hearing a new Sabbath album but it's really only to see how Iommi and Geezer are holding up. The whole thing just leaves me cold, especially since the set they just played in Birmingham apparently had a drum solo in the middle of it. Seriously, Clufetos isn't a bad drummer but what the fuck kind of stunt is that?

splyu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:09 am 

Crick wrote:
Anyone remember this? http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/ ... ell-216195

Kinda weird reading this now.

That's an interesting bit of insight into how he thinks musically.

Bill Ward wrote:
"But the main reason inside everything was that Tony, on one of the songs, it was a pretty fast song, was pushing his guitar - it was just like a down beat - and in all the years that I've played with him, since I was, like, 16 - me and him have played together a long, long time - I've never cut across him.

"In other words, I never go through him - I don't travel through him, I travel around him, and I either build or I pull away, or I make holes, or I do whatever I can do to make sure that I am interacting with the bass and the guitar in the way that I do it. It was requested of me to play a straight beat through, and playing a straight beat through was absolutely against everything I know about drumming, and it was an intolerable request. End of story. I can't do that, and I'm not gonna do that to Tony."

tehfoks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:24 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Razakel wrote:
Same. There is nothing to laugh about here, not even with a "oh look how childish they are" mentality, this was the last chance Black Sabbath had and now it's all over, spoiled because someone couldn't make or agree to sensible terms for Bill Ward. This is sickening and rage-inducing. Like I have to take a moment to calm myself down and not start a riot - that's the hatred I feel. Not even cancer could wake these selfish fools up and make them stop taking life for granted. This is beyond distasteful, this is absolutely heartless behaviour. I never really stand behind boycotting, but damn me if it isn't justified now.

Hey, I'd love to see a proper Sabbath reunion too, but contrary to you guys, I don't see why this is "rage-inducing". They're just people. And people can be petty, narrow-minded, selfish, and just downright assholes; especially when we're talking about people with rockstar attitudes. The "legendary" status you guys assign to them is something to be earned. Their behavior is certainly inconsistent with such a grandiose label.

Sure the music is legendary, but don't make the mistake of equating that with the people behind it. To quote a brilliant user here on the archives (whose name I can't recall, sadly), "I don't have favorite bands. I have favorite albums. Albums are timeless. Bands are not." Case in point: Black Sabbath.

Smalley wrote:
If I wanted a better version of something, I certainly wouldn't want it to start smoking crack, it'd get all fucked up and gross.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:48 pm 

Some vids appeared in YT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZKcgqYG ... r_embedded

Ozzy sounds like shit, as expected.

~Guest 219268
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:41 pm 

I laughed so hard at Ozzy stumbling back and forth across the stage. He's also totally off-key in the first verse, but it gets better towards the end.

Hey, with a bit more practice, they might actually reach a point where they don't make total asses of themselves.

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:00 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Some vids appeared in YT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZKcgqYG ... r_embedded

Ozzy sounds like shit, as expected.

That was both hilarious and... pathetic.
Was du geschlagen
zu Gott wird es dich tragen!

-Gustav Mahler

~Guest 219268
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:09 pm 

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/black-sabbath/2012/o2-academy-birmingham-birmingham-england-43df93a7.html

Quite an awesome setlist tho. Only stuff from their first four albums, except for a Symptom tease and Dirty Women (which I never heard). Also, the entire A-side of the debut!

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:17 pm 

Wow... that setlist... by the gods.

I actually don't even think Ozzy sounds that bad. Tony and Geezer are still top class. Damn, despite how much I've bitched about what this reunion has become, I can't deny that it still does make my bag tickle.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:09 pm 

Ozzy sounds better than he did a few years ago, definitely. Rough, but certainly good enough. I'm surprised... the set list does look good, too. Honestly, though, the drummer just ain't that hot. Get rid of him, and then we'll talk.

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:06 pm 

The setlist is breath-taking. That would be so awesome to see. It's a shame that all of this contractual difficulties has lead to such drama. If only life were so easy that these 4 guys could get on stage without problems and just play some damn tunes.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:47 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
http://www.examiner.com/article/addendum-to-the-missing-black-sabbath-drummer-caper

Huh.

Huh indeed. Bill asked for his own removal, and then didn't tell the fans about it, despite his very vocal communication about how Tony and company don't want him around. Yeah, that's not at all manipulative and sabotaging of him.

Seriously, even if Bill is getting a raw deal here, he's not exactly giving me a vote of confidence that he's doing what he can to make it work. Add in the additional article from a couple years back, and I don't really think he wants to work with the guys anymore.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:14 pm 

HarbouringTheSoul wrote:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/black-sabbath/2012/o2-academy-birmingham-birmingham-england-43df93a7.html

Quite an awesome setlist tho. Only stuff from their first four albums, except for a Symptom tease and Dirty Women (which I never heard). Also, the entire A-side of the debut!

I don't think they play Symptom with Ozzy singing, even when they reunited with him in 1997.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:45 pm 

What the fuck, Bill.

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

~Guest 219268
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:44 am 

WaywardSon wrote:
I don't think they play Symptom with Ozzy singing, even when they reunited with him in 1997.

Symptom was instrumental and it was only like a minute long before the drum solo kicked in. There's no way in hell that Ozzy could sing it anymore.

VargVon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:42 am 

when will everyone realise its actually BILL WARD who is being an arsehole and nobody else. not sharon or ozzy or a hundred lawyers. its Bill Ward. the fact is also he can not play a 2 hour set whatsoever as he is in his late 60s. he needs to wake up to the fact he aint a young man anymore. hes a dillusional old pensioner.
i

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:50 am 

Everyone needs to chill the fuck out for five minutes and look at what we actually know, and stop just calling Sabbath a bunch of tossers.

Bill Ward has stated he doesn't hold any ill will to Sabbath. Geez has gone on record about how he feels about Bill. I don't see why people are immediately taking the side of Bill. He has been taken out of publicity photos because they are currently not touring as such, so marketing the band with him in it would be dis-honest. Taking the other albums off the website? Well, obviously the marketing dudes behind Sabbath have seen fit that, due to what they are currently promoting is a return of the original line-up (And, really, the Dio era stuff has kind of been re-defined as being the Heaven and Hell band), and so the whole website is geared around that. Sure, you could argue that the members of Sabbath should take charge at the outrage, they are kinda dealing with more important stuff right now. Like cancer.

As for the "Ozzy and Friends" tour...what is everyone's beef with it? Iommi won't be at every gig because of his cancer, so they aren't calling it a Sabbath gig any more because that would be wrong. So, in order to rectify the fact they are pulling out of all these shows, they are replacing it with Ozzy playing with a bunch of different dudes - INCLUDING Geezer and sometimes Iommi. Seriously, what on earth is everyone's problem with this? Cause I'm really not seeing the issue. The full-blown reunion isn't going as planned, and it isn't as if they are marketing it as something that it isn't.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:38 am 

TheUglySoldier wrote:
Taking the other albums off the website? Well, obviously the marketing dudes behind Sabbath have seen fit that, due to what they are currently promoting is a return of the original line-up

TheUglySoldier wrote:
The full-blown reunion isn't going as planned, and it isn't as if they are marketing it as something that it isn't.

I'm confused.

Man, don't try to justify it. To erase the Dio and Martin albums from the Sabbath discography it's not just wrong, but completely disrespectful towards them and the fans. Heaven and Hell could have been called Sabbath if weren't for the Ozzy's legal stuff, as all of them stated back in the day. Also, I clearly remember when Geezer said he won't be working with Ozzy again and having Dio fronting Sabbath (cause he and Dio said 'this is Sabbath, call it whatever you want) was way more comfortable, even that, if he had to play with Ozzy we won't be as collaborative as with Dio fronting the band. Also, if Dio was still alive to these days, this fraud of reunion would have never existed, H&H would have been still touring and probably releasing albums (well, so much bullshit have been said, like Iommi calling 'The Devil You Know' the last Sabbath statement and stuff like that).

Btw, where are the feelings towards Dio? wasn't every single of them very sad about his passing, telling countless times how much they missed him? Well, looks like they miss him so much that decided to blatantly remove him from the Sabbath history (an absurdly re-written history).

Crick

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:21 am 

Man, watching videos of the Birmingham show, Ozzy sounds really out of tune a lot of the time. Even when he's in tune there's not much power left in his voice, and he just sorta stumbles around the stage looking worse for the wear than Tony. He's really gotten old.
Hehe, foreskins.

~Guest 219268
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:32 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
To erase the Dio and Martin albums from the Sabbath discography it's not just wrong, but completely disrespectful towards them and the fans. [...] Btw, where are the feelings towards Dio? wasn't every single of them very sad about his passing, telling countless times how much they missed him? Well, looks like they miss him so much that decided to blatantly remove him from the Sabbath history (an absurdly re-written history).

Don't take it for something that it's not. It's an ill-considered (and admittedly tasteless) marketing move that was probably decided by their management or whoever runs the website, not the band themselves. It has nothing to do with "rewriting the Sabbath history". I wouldn't waste too much thought on it.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:54 am 

HarbouringTheSoul wrote:
Kveldulfr wrote:
To erase the Dio and Martin albums from the Sabbath discography it's not just wrong, but completely disrespectful t] owards them and the fans. [...Btw, where are the feelings towards Dio? wasn't every single of them very sad about his passing, telling countless times how much they missed him? Well, looks like they miss him so much that decided to blatantly remove him from the Sabbath history (an absurdly re-written history).

Don't take it for something that it's not. It's an ill-considered (and admittedly tasteless) marketing move that was probably decided by their management or whoever runs the website, not the band themselves. It has nothing to do with "rewriting the Sabbath history". I wouldn't waste too much thought on it.

Still, I guess being the band you have SOME right on deciding if erasing like 2/3 of your discography from 'your' website.

Anyway, I won't be attending any gig, being 'Sabbath', Ozzy and friends or whatever they name this. I saw Heaven & Hell, so I saw Iommi, Geezer playing some Sabbath tunes with Dio (which was still an excellent singer until his passing), giving a solid and charming performance. Watching those vids with Ozzy barely in his feet and almost whispering completely out of tune the songs it's not my cup of tea.

SuicidalFreak
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:53 pm 

It sucks that Bill will not play in any of their future shows.

KE3useer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:18 pm 

The setlist is absolutely incredible. 4 songs from the first album? Remarkable.

Even with Ozzy's poor performance and goddamn imbecilic jumping, it would still be an incredible show. Just thinking about being in a massive venue full of Sabbath fans listening to Iommi and Butler jam it out makes my soul tingle.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:03 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Man, don't try to justify it. To erase the Dio and Martin albums from the Sabbath discography it's not just wrong, but completely disrespectful towards them and the fans. Heaven and Hell could have been called Sabbath if weren't for the Ozzy's legal stuff, as all of them stated back in the day. Also, I clearly remember when Geezer said he won't be working with Ozzy again and having Dio fronting Sabbath (cause he and Dio said 'this is Sabbath, call it whatever you want) was way more comfortable, even that, if he had to play with Ozzy we won't be as collaborative as with Dio fronting the band. Also, if Dio was still alive to these days, this fraud of reunion would have never existed, H&H would have been still touring and probably releasing albums (well, so much bullshit have been said, like Iommi calling 'The Devil You Know' the last Sabbath statement and stuff like that).

I'm not saying that it isn't a dick move, but it is nothing more than just that. It is a marketing strategy that their PR team have put together to try and promote exactly what is happening: the Ozzy-era Sabbath, who will play Ozzy-era songs, are gearing for a tour. Okay, yes, part of the legacy is being erased, and something like Heaven and Hell (Where Dio did say live in response to a "Real Black Sabbath" sign "I don't know about that, but we are the real Heaven and Hell!") was much more tasteful.

Kveldulfr wrote:
Btw, where are the feelings towards Dio? wasn't every single of them very sad about his passing, telling countless times how much they missed him? Well, looks like they miss him so much that decided to blatantly remove him from the Sabbath history (an absurdly re-written history).

I'm so happy that people who never knew Ronnie, and have never met Tony, Geez, Ozzy, or Bill feel they have some sort of authority over how people should feel, as if they have an insight into the relationship that they had, and can dictate through the actions of the marketing team exactly how the people involved personally feel. Their feelings are their own, they have nothing to do with you, and there is no way in hell you have any authority, insight or indication as to how these people feel, and it is incredibly distasteful that anyone would act like they did. If you are going around with that kind of attitude, maybe you should stick to reading Tabloids.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next