Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:24 am 

Ivan Drago wrote:
Was talking with a friend of mine what exactly constitutes a classic album. He reckons it's the overall impact and legacy its had on the scene, I think that's going to be part of it but it also needs to be completely devoid of filler, which is why I don't think Slayer or Megadeth have had a classic album as there's always at least one song I'm happy to skip

So even though I prefer Ride the Lightning, I'd only call Master of Puppets a classic album as I could happily listen to RtL without Escape.

Thoughts? Obviously this is going to be totally subjective because one persons filler is anothers favourite

I don't think a classic album has to be prefect! SO I'd say Ride the Lightning qualifies. It has some TRULY great songs, along with 1 or 2 that are merely good.

Perfect albums are RARE. Black Sabbath - Sabatoge is a classic album AND a perfect one! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:47 am 

A classic album is not the same as your favourite album. There are lots of classic albums that I don't particularly like. That doesn't take away from their importance on the development and history of music.

Ivan Drago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:17 pm 

ChildClownOutlet wrote:
What is this instrument? Is this supposed to be some sort of harpsichord, or keyboard accordion?

https://youtu.be/OQdMGQ7UUr4?si=SyQdBxcM6wEt33rh&t=173

Might be a Jew's harp?

299796kms
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:19 pm 

Yeah, that's a mouth harp/aka jew's harp

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:14 pm 

Anyone ever seen someone wear a Metal Church “Hanging in the Balance” shirt?

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:34 pm 

des91 wrote:

https://www.squadtee.com/product/metal- ... d-t-shirt/

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:47 pm 

What's the reach of Queen's influence in metal?

Cheap Vodka
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:09 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Forever Underground wrote:
1º: I was planning to listen to While Heaven Wept, and I've seen that the founder, Tom Phillips, played for Grand Belial Key on stage, and I was wondering if anyone here knew if he is a sketchy person or if it was just a one-off thing from many years ago.

He played live keyboards (1992-1993, 1995) didn't record anything. Grand Belial Key at that time don't seem to have been dodgy.
He got things going demo wise with While Heaven Wept in 94 and I don't believe they were ever sketchy. Tho some determined detective out there might have a microscope that will say otherwise, who knows.
While Heaven Wept are definitely worth checking out tho, I really dug Of Empires Forlorn when that came out.

He once attended a party with members of Peste Noire and I think they had a conversation, so I’d stay far the fuck away from anyone who’s been under the same roof as those guys.

MoonlitKnight
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:23 am 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Favorite CC album by guitarist lineup. Yes I'm bored.

Since CC has had a mix of guitarist influencing the songwriting what would you say are the best of each "era"?

Owens/Rusay - Eaten Back to Life
Owens/Barrett - The Bleeding
Owens/O'Brien - Gore Obsessed
O'Brien/Barrett - Red Before Black (the intro trifecta puts it over the top for me)
Barrett/Rutan - Violence Unimagined

Owen/Rusay - Tomb of the Mutilated. I'm not the biggest fan of this era of the band.
Owen/Barrett - The Bleeding. My favorite album by them.
Owen/O'Brien - Bloodthirst. Gallery of Suicide is a very close second.
O'Brien/Barrett - A Skeletal Domain. Love the guitar tone.
Barrett/Rutan - Violence Unimagined. But the new one is also very good.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:25 am 

Thexhumed wrote:

I would say power metal probably got a lot of its pomp and melodiousness from Queen.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:29 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:

Blind Guardian

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:16 am 

des91 wrote:

Nope but that would be so fuckin cool. EBay has some but $90NZ is insane.

Just spotted that Tomcat post with the squadtee link. Way cheaper, about half the price. Pays to shop around folks.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:20 am 

Thexhumed wrote:

Scorpions surely? Granted I've only recently started getting into the latter, but In Trance had the most clear Queen influence I've heard on a metal album.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:06 am 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
Thexhumed wrote:

Scorpions surely? Granted I've only recently started getting into the latter, but In Trance had the most clear Queen influence I've heard on a metal album.

Which Queen albums are you referring to?

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:19 am 

Was thinking I and II. Now realise I'm a total idiot, guess all I picked up on was similarities rather than influence, always forget Scorpions were as early as they were.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:55 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
des91 wrote:

Nope but that would be so fuckin cool. EBay has some but $90NZ is insane.

Just spotted that Tomcat post with the squadtee link. Way cheaper, about half the price. Pays to shop around folks.

:lol: I have the original shirt and have worn it proudly! I always liked the cover. Great album!

https://tshirtslayer.com/tshirt-or-long ... ng-balance

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:09 pm 

So I'm about done with Manilla Road's Mystification, and it absolutely rules, easily a top 5 of that year for me. Usually top 5's are set in stone, but I love it when something like this comes in, and shakes it up!

Which Manilla Road album should I buy next?

As for Queen, if you had melodies in your songs, Queen influenced you. The entire power metal scene is to some extent, trying to be Brian May's songs at 200 mph.

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:41 pm 

KaiKasparek wrote:
So I'm about done with Manilla Road's Mystification, and it absolutely rules, easily a top 5 of that year for me. Usually top 5's are set in stone, but I love it when something like this comes in, and shakes it up!

As for Queen, if you had melodies in your songs, Queen influenced you. The entire power metal scene is to some extent, trying to be Brian May's songs at 200 mph.

Interesting perspective about Queen. It seems logical to say they have an impact on metal bands, but how specific do you want to get? Ask the bands, I guess. Influence is a weird thing and sometimes it can be pretty subtle.

Maybe you could go for the previous album, The Deluge, next, from Manilla Road. It's not quite as thrash-sounding as Mystification can get, but it's just as heavy, and slightly more esoteric sounding. It's one of my favourites from the band. If you think you'd like to hear the next step in speed and fury, go for Out of the Abyss. Like Mystification it also contains some fantastic more epic songs.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:41 pm 

While I love the thrash tendencies of Mystification, I want to see what more the band has to offer, so I went with The Deluge.

Unrelated, when it comes to Sepultura, I am firmly team Beneath The Remains. How much will I like Nailbomb?

Period

~Guest 21181 wrote:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:11 pm 

KaiKasparek wrote:
While I love the thrash tendencies of Mystification, I want to see what more the band has to offer, so I went with The Deluge.

Definitely a great choice.

Quote:

Unrelated, when it comes to Sepultura, I am firmly team Beneath The Remains. How much will I like Nailbomb?

Well, there's no real reason why a person can't like both BTR and Chaos AD or even BTR and Roots for that matter. But Nailbomb is definitely closer to the latter. No thrash. Angry, punishing, midpaced, noisy. Very 90s.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:14 pm 

Anyone else agree that Cathedrals Soul Sacrifice could have fit on Pantera’s VDOP perfectly? Versatile band!

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:29 pm 

AxeCapitol wrote:
Anyone else agree that Cathedrals Soul Sacrifice could have fit on Pantera’s VDOP perfectly? Versatile band!

WTF? No. I love both but fuck no.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:33 pm 

KaiKasparek wrote:

C'mon Kai ya gotta give Open The Gates and Crystal Logic a spin. Both are absolute classics.

Also Nailbomb kicks fuckin ass. Check out Fudge Tunnel too, great stuff.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:29 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
KaiKasparek wrote:

Definitely a great choice.

Quote:

Well, there's no real reason why a person can't like both BTR and Chaos AD or even BTR and Roots for that matter. But Nailbomb is definitely closer to the latter. No thrash. Angry, punishing, midpaced, noisy. Very 90s.

Well, by "team Beneath The Remains" I mean that's my favorite and I prefer thrashy Sepultura. I did check out Chaos AD for the first time ever a few months ago and I actually really like it. Roots on the other hand, was a bridge too far. But I guess the question I meant to ask was "how thrashy is Nailbomb?" According to you the answer is "not very."

MetlaNZ wrote:
C'mon Kai ya gotta give Open The Gates and Crystal Logic a spin. Both are absolute classics.

I'll get to them eventually.

MetlaNZ wrote:
AxeCapitol wrote:

WTF? No. I love both but fuck no.

Eh, it might have. I'd rather that have been on VDOP than Live In A Hole.

Period

~Guest 21181 wrote:

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:47 pm 

KaiKasparek wrote:

Open the Gates and The Courts of Chaos are mandatory metal listens. Both very different, but easily recognizable as Manilla Road.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

rarezuzuh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:23 am 

What's going on with Pagan Altar/Volume 1/Judgement of the Dead? Same tracklist, but is it a rerecording or just a rerelease? Does it matter which one I listen to?

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:12 am 

rarezuzuh wrote:
What's going on with Pagan Altar/Volume 1/Judgement of the Dead? Same tracklist, but is it a rerecording or just a rerelease? Does it matter which one I listen to?

They're all the same thing.

Disembodied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:41 am 

That was nice of them. More bands should offer multiple-choice album title options.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:27 am 

rarezuzuh wrote:

All the same thing, originally released in 1982. The only Pagan Altar full length that wasn't a rerecording. They had already recorded Lords of Hypocrisy and Mythical & Magical in the 80s, but never released them. They had the intentions of finally releasing them in the early 2000s, but the master tapes to both albums were too damaged. So they reunited (which was not originally part of the plan) to rerecord the two albums.

I'm not sure what the deal is with The Room of Shadows. I believe in the 80s, after recording the original Mythical & Magical, they recorded what was to be their final album, Never Quite Dead. When they were working on what was to become The Room of Shadows, I THINK it was originally going to be titled Never Quite Dead, but then Terry Jones died and Alan felt because of that thought it fit to use a different title, which was The Room of Shadows.

Is The Room of Shadows a rerecording of the 80s Never Quite Dead? I really don't know.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:32 am 

Why does Ensiferum not sound like your typical drinking in an inn Folk Metal while being a drinking in an inn Folk Metal band?

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:54 pm 

Not a metal question, but is djent always progressive? ie. is there djent that isn't progressive?

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:32 pm 

Allow me to be that guy, but, one of the core ideas of prog rock was upturning the notions of what rock could be beyond a steady 4/4 with a simple structure and set instrumentation. To that end, by sticking to the expected odd-time signatures and weird forms, djent is stylistically conservative, if anything else.
But to answer your question, no, afaik there’s no genre-defying djent that plays plain square Iron Man style songs.

Thexhumed wrote:
Why does Ensiferum not sound like your typical drinking in an inn Folk Metal while being a drinking in an inn Folk Metal band?

Because they actually have riffs in their songs. There’s a lot of Metallica influence in their playing.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:49 am 

What's the deal with the band Mad Butcher? They're a thrash band from Germany that released their first demo in 1983, and both of their albums from the 80s have artwork that reasonably resembles the guy on Destruction's Mad Butcher EP. There are no shared members between the two bands.

Is the Mad Butcher a known character (especially in Germany) or did Destruction borrow the title from these guys?

easyrocker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:12 am 

Spiner202 wrote:
What's the deal with the band Mad Butcher? They're a thrash band from Germany that released their first demo in 1983, and both of their albums from the 80s have artwork that reasonably resembles the guy on Destruction's Mad Butcher EP. There are no shared members between the two bands.

Is the Mad Butcher a known character (especially in Germany) or did Destruction borrow the title from these guys?

Mad Butcher is an Italian horror picture from the early 70s which I'd imagine the inspiration for both came from (although the "Mad Butcher" character on either album doesn't really resemble the main character from the film. Maybe the film was popular in Germany because it was about sausages?). The album Metal Meat from the band Mad Butcher was released by Metal Enterprises, which, knowing what we do about that label, makes me believe that they (the label, not the band necessarily) threw on the character of "Mad Butcher" as a cash grab, although I can't find definitive info on that albums release date, discogs even lists it as '88 while MA says '87.

Keep in mind that Destruction had recorded the song Mad Butcher as early as the '84 Bestial Invasion of Hell demo, and Mad Butcher's '83 demo was "not released officially or commercially distributed, but used as showcase for local clubs and festival promoters". It seems like the song title and band name were coincidence, but the album art portraying a fat bald "mad butcher" was an attempt on the label to play off of Destruction's popularity. You could probably ask the vocalist of Mad Butcher, he's pretty active on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/@harryelbracht

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:50 am 

Is Andy LaRoque's last name pronounced La-Roke, or La-Rock?

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:35 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Is Andy LaRoque's last name pronounced La-Roke, or La-Rock?

It's a French name, and you would pronounce roque similarly to the way you pronounce the word rock, but with a little less emphasis on the "k" sound.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:53 pm 

It's a stage name. Pretty sure it's rock, like in rock. His last name is Allhage.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:24 pm 

Why is Kevin Moore generally held in higher esteem than Jordan Rudess? That’s never made a lot of sense to me, but I may be missing something and am genuinely interested in hearing why that may be.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:54 am 

I personally think Kevin Moore’s approach to keyboards worked as a more subtle counterpoint to most of Dream Theater’s other musicians having a flashier attitude. He was also the group’s greatest lyricist whose more cynical, personal touch is another great contrast to how overwrought or saccharine the other guys tend to be lyrically, especially Petrucci. That and I think somebody who was on DT’e first three albums is just gonna have more reverence by default.

I don’t think Rudess is awful for the band and you can tell that they considered having him on to be a major win but with how he joins them in those flashier methods, it just threw the last bit of subtlety they had right out the window.

StarshipTrooper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:12 am 

Benedict Donald wrote:
Why is Kevin Moore generally held in higher esteem than Jordan Rudess? That’s never made a lot of sense to me, but I may be missing something and am genuinely interested in hearing why that may be.

Jordan Rudess is too flashy.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 35  Next