Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:24 am 

So, I've been to a few concerts now, and I've realized that I usually see very similar people at the front of the stage (that's usually where I put myself during a show). I like being in the front because you don't have to worry about the mosh pit and get to focus 100% on the band. I've moshed a few times, but I'm not really a big guy, so I try my best to avoid it.

But where are you guys? Are you the pit type, or like me in the front? Or are you usually in the back at the bar?

Noktorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:25 am 

Very front or very back, typically.

Member #1 of Zarach 'Baal' Tharagh Crew - Fuck off the musical black metal!

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:26 am 

Usually I'm front and center / right in front of the vocalist. Otherwise, I'm closer to the stage on the exit side or sometimes in the back if it's elevated. I don't like focusing on moshes (I don't mosh) when I'm really into the music, so I like to get as close as I can, like you, so I can get into the music.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:28 am 

I've given up on being in the front because I hate people pushing me while I'm listening to music. Hence, I'm generally in the back or by the bar, out of the way of the mosh.

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:32 am 

I can't stand being packed between individuals, so I am usually by the pit where there is open space or far back. It depends on the band though. If it's a band I came to see, I will be on the floor near the pit or somewhere on the floor where there is breathing room.

If I'm indifferent, I hang out by the bar. The only 2 bands that I have seen up close are Incantation and Candlemass..mainly because nobody showed up to those gigs for some reason and there was plenty of breathing room in the front. For Bolt Thrower, the density of people was wild and I could not tolerate being shoved randomly, so I hung partly in the pit for IVth crusade and World Eater, threw some morons out of my way, got kicked in the neck and then hung out in the far back for the rest of the set...great night overall.

Last edited by rabidmadman on Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:32 am 

Depends on the crowd. If it seems unlikely that I'm going to have to deal with the pit too much, I'm happy in the front or close enough that I can see what's going on. If there is moshing, usually the side of the pit so I can see the band, avoid most of the impact of the moshing, and help people up if they need it. If there is stage-diving, I'll stay in the very back and just stand on my tip-toes to see things.

Juggernaut140
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:41 am 

I'm extremely weak so no mosh pit for me :P

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:42 am 

I like to stand in the center so as to have a decent sound (as opposed to being too close to either sound). I don't mind the pushing coming from the pit, although body-surfers can be annoying when they hit you in the back of the head with their damn boots. That girl in a bikini who landed on me during last summer's Iron Maiden concert didn't bother me all that much though. :grin:

HumanWaste5150
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:48 am 

If I can, I like the front/center front because it's right in front of the band and it allows easy access to moshing if there is any. I usually get pretty tired throughout the night and might retire to the balcony or the back of some sort.
We fought to the last breath
Wonder if we will shake hands
Beyond the gates of death

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:50 am 

I like to hang out at the front if I can, and headbang. Usually the pit is closer to the stage so I can hop in and out at my leasure, unless the place is ABSOLUTELY packed. If the place is packed I generally hang out closer to the front, but off to the side, still provides a decent view.

Violent_Thrasher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:51 am 

The only time I went to see a band live, I was sited! I couldn't get the front tickets.... anyways, I'm not a big fan of live shows, just albums, but me getting there, nah... too much moshing and bullshit like that

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:55 am 

For smaller shows, when you're in the front, you end up being pulled into the mosh or being dominoed by some douchebag.

I like to be in the front and then get in the mosh when it gets crazy.

wyzt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:09 am 

Either as close to the stage as I can get, or in the pit, or alternating between the two.

EDIT:

Adriankat wrote:
I like to be in the front and then get in the mosh when it gets crazy.

This. I'll avoid the pit if theres some huge assholes in it...you know the ones...guy weighs 400 pounds, walks around the circle pit slowly shoving people while looking pissed off.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:18 am 

I usually try to get up at the front as best I can. Usually I make it to the railing or very close by the end of a concert. If I'm drunk, I'll go in the pit a bit, but I usually avoid it because I am very skinny and would get my ass handed to me if I wasn't careful.

PsyMoN_MDA
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:47 am 

I usually stand in the center or, at least, close to it, at a safe distance from the moshing crowd. :)

Abbath wrote:
Have an ice day!

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:48 am 

Middle Right. Never too far back, but not so far up that I get mauled by people.

Mystlyfe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:54 am 

It depends on the band, crowd, and venue. My most common position is towards the front (but only rarely do I show up early enough to get on the railing, but I will show up early enough to be stageside for bar/small venue shows). If I don't like the band, I'll likely hang out in the bar/merch stands.
Some bands you just have to mosh to. There's no point in seeing someone like Municipal Waste if you're not going to mix it up at least once or twice (or the whole time).
If there are too many jerks/too crowded up front and the bands not good enough for me to put up with it, I'll go back and mosh.
If there are jerks ruining the pit (damn Hardcore and your leg kicks and whatnot), I'll find somewhere I can headbang.

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:56 am 

The thing with being in the front on huge concerts is that the amps for the vocals are almost located behind you which makes it so hard to hear the singing. At least for me.

On the gigs I have been:

Iron Maiden '06 - Seated.
Iron Maiden '08 - 15-20 meters away from stage. Really the best sound I have heard on a concert because every single instrument as well as the vocals were heard clearly.
Unholy Alliance III - First line, front. Vocals were a bit low, but okay enough.
Priest Feast - Second line, front. Didn't hear the vocals at all. Barely even when the artists were talking between the songs.
Bruce Springsteen - Waaaaay far back :lol:
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:04 am 

At our local shows, front is the best. The very front doesn't usually mosh, but people from the front can choose to if they want. The edge is right there, and everyone's fairly respectful to each other. With the occasional exception of some out of town douche bag trying his karate kicks and junk...

When I went to Priest/H&H/Motorhead/Testament I was 13 rows from the stage. That ruled plenty for me. At Aerosmith, we were quite a ways away, but there were huge screens so it was alright. At Ted Nugent, we were literally 2 rows from the back. No biggy though, as the theater only seated 2,000. It was quite a fun intimate show, and it was cool that even in the very back rows, I still felt close as the venue was small.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:08 am 

I guess I'm one of the very fucking few that gets to the venue several hours before a show just to be the first person inside at the front of the line so I can have the dead center on the railing. The venue where all the shows are at has the perfect view for it and is just 100% perfect for concert viewing and I'm always dead center for it, just how I like it.

I hate standing up in the middle or back, I have to be on the rail so I can lean over and where it's cooler and can focus just mainly on the band. Plus, you can get more personal with them where they get close to you or shake their hands, get pics/drumsticks/waters whatever.

At the Amon Amarth show, doors opened at 7 and I arrived their at 2. Fuck yeah.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:20 am 

The_Boss wrote:
I guess I'm one of the very fucking few that gets to the venue several hours before a show just to be the first person inside at the front of the line so I can have the dead center on the railing. The venue where all the shows are at has the perfect view for it and is just 100% perfect for concert viewing and I'm always dead center for it, just how I like it.

I hate standing up in the middle or back, I have to be on the rail so I can lean over and where it's cooler and can focus just mainly on the band. Plus, you can get more personal with them where they get close to you or shake their hands, get pics/drumsticks/waters whatever.

I've never found the need to do that, but maybe that's just because I may be in a less populated City (if you live in a bigger city than Denver). I showed up to Blackened Fest around 6:30 ish and the doors opened at 7 and I got to the front no problem. It's just that when I'm in the front I'm damned to move anywhere else because I'll get pissed if that spot gets taken.

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:23 am 

The_Boss wrote:

I generally arrive really early to find parking, and so I can pre-game it before I go in. I don't like to be the first because the first guy to walk up to the venue will have to deal with at least three homeless guys. Good thing about Peabody's is that even if you walk in while the first band is playing, you should still be able to grab a spot close to the front, if not right there. People tend to disperse, too, between sets.

The only exception was when Carcass came around.

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:25 am 

If I get there early enough I'm in the front row. If not I'm usually somewhere on the edge of the pit.

xdarkniterainx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:27 am 

When i was younger i used to be a lot bigger and i was usually near the mosh when it wasnt a band i was there to see. If it was someone i was really into i would be in the pit. The front is cool too in moderation as i dont like my ribs being crushed against the barricade.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:27 am 

I generally try to get right up at the railing. If not, I'll be as close as I can.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:37 am 

Close to the front usually, I will end up in a pit for short stints most of the time, but I like to be pretty close. I almost always go to the left side of the stage, not sure why but I do.

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:38 am 

If there's a pit, I'm usually there for at least some portion of the night. Otherwise, I usually just chill anywhere I can find a spot. I'm not of legal drinking age, so no drinking for me until after the show when I can procure some alcohol from my 21+ friends.

DoNotResuscitate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:16 am 

Depends on the bands playing, crowd, venue, and whether or not I'm drinking.

If it's a smaller venue I try to go up front. If it's one of my favorite bands I try to get center stage or backstage if possible to watch from the side of the stage.

I was backstage for Maiden in L.A. in February 2008 which was awesome because you have freedom to see the show from any angle you choose so we roamed all over the place. Behind the sound board, Nicko's kit, the side of the stage, etc.

Most of the time I watch from the side of the stage to get a better vantage point of the way the musicians play. I like watching drummers especially, like Gene Hoglan, Nicko McBrain, Mikkey Dee, etc.
"Yeah, I read that board for like 2 weeks when I first signed up a few years ago and determined it was about as intelligent as AOL Metal Chat and the FMP board having a retarded baby." - Dan discusses the M-A Board

chrislyles15
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:36 am 

I usually sit in the back and watch the band, but if I feel real daring I get in the pit.

TooHuman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:37 am 

I try to get to the front railing at every metal concert I've been to in recent memory, so that's where I end up. If I'm not at the very front, I'm one or two rows back. On my way up to the front, I usually stop at the mosh pit for a little while then keep pushing forward. Needless to say, I'm a little pissed I have arena seats for Slayer and Megadeth later this month.

Terminal_Tyrant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:23 am 

I don't like moshing but I understand it's natural at a show. Can anyone tell me of some shows where it's at a minimum? Devildriver concerts have the biggest and most annoying moshpits.

HelloCthulhu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:29 am 

Front, off to one of the sides. I like being close to the band, but I dislike being close to moshers. They annoy me a lot.

screamingstatue
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:55 am 

HelloCthulhu wrote:
Front, off to one of the sides. I like being close to the band, but I dislike being close to moshers. They annoy me a lot.

I was going to post the exact same thing. Standing up front, but to the side enables me to see the band perfectly, and have crowd interaction, without being crushed in the pit or caught up in the crowd merging forwards feeling like I'm going to suffocate.

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:01 am 

I go to concerts where it is rare to see more than 50 people, and it's most frequently some kind of doom/sludge band playing (we have a very active promoter bringing this kind of bands to my town) so moshing is obviously not frequent. The venues are also very small but I'm not a specially tall guy so I can go to the very front and stand a meter away from the band without blocking people behind me.

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:14 am 

Almost always 3 or 4 people back from the front. I'd be happy to just stand there and enjoy the music but I usually join in the mosh pit that has started behind me/around me. Oh and its great being tall. I love hearing people say 'fucking tall cunt'. Makes me feel so special to know that I can see the full band and they are just seeing the back of my head. Hahaha.

Waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:49 am 

I like to be in front of the stage usually in front of the vocalist, but sometimes its amusing to be around the mosh pit.

Last.fm

Mieresch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:51 am 

I try to get as close to the stage as possible. In front of the mosh pits. I 've only moshed once. Before that i thought i would get destroyed in the moshpit, because i'm pretty slim, but it wasn't that harsh...

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:33 am 

Pit or bar.

balkonas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:05 am 

Well front or the bar

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:36 am 

Always at the front. I usually only get into the pit after a while.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next