Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:15 pm 

Oh man, I had to give a listen to that "Space Marine Corps" track after reading several reviews that dubbed it the worst song Dragonforce has ever come out with. What a treat that was. Obviously I agree, but in a demented way it's also the best song they've ever come out with. It's one of those rare tracks you come across only now and then, once every year or couple of years, almost as physically painful to sit through as that slam poetry video Rob Flynn came out with a while back in which he dropped the N-bomb -- the sort of transcendant brand of awful that I'm convinced most bands couldn't hope to achieve if they tried their absolute damndest.

I made my wife listen to it and watched as she began physically writhing at that section beginning around 3:35 as though she were possessed and I'd scalded her with holy water. Incredible.

Maybe I need to listen to the rest of the album in the hope of finding more moments like this. Are there more moments like this?

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:13 pm 

After a few listens, it's really a shame that Space Marine Corps has that part in the middle, and the initial vocal part because the actual song and chorus are pretty good. One of the better songs even, if you exclude those sections.

LtLemonade
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:07 pm 

Gave the album a few listens. It's a good album, much better than most people are saying. I'd give it about a 91/100. Space Marine Corp is so catchy even though it's stupid. For some reason I love stupid catchy songs, which is probably why I liked Doomsday Party so much. Wildest Dreams is probably one of my favorite tracks still. I'd rank it:

1. Wildest Dreams
2. Space Marine Corp
3. Doomsday Party
4. Astro Warrior Anthem
5. Kingdom Of Steel
6. Pixel Prison
7. Burning Heart
8. Killer Queen (+Prelude To Darkness)
9. Power of the Triforce

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:40 am 

The reaction to Space Marine Corp has been incredible to watch, everyone either loves it or thinks it's the biggest piece of crap the band has ever pumped out. It's Angry Metal Guy's favorite song on the album because of course it is: https://www.angrymetalguy.com/dragonfor ... rs-review/

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:00 pm 

I liked this album.

:oh shit:

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:00 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
The reaction to Space Marine Corp has been incredible to watch, everyone either loves it or thinks it's the biggest piece of crap the band has ever pumped out. It's Angry Metal Guy's favorite song on the album because of course it is: https://www.angrymetalguy.com/dragonfor ... rs-review/

It feels like we're witnessing the power metal equivalent of Illuminations of Vile Engorgement.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:22 pm 

King_of_Arnor wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

It feels like we're witnessing the power metal equivalent of Illuminations of Vile Engorgement.

That's an interesting comparison. While I definitely don't like Enmity, I think that they were doing an experiment, like how heavy and disgusting can music be. I don't know if the guys that made Enmity even liked their own music, while Dragonforce probably thought that Space Marine Corp was a good enough song to be put in the album.

WarriorFenix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:00 pm 

Decent album, funny that the 2 songs they choose to release as singles are 2 of the worst on the album (although triforce is growing on me slightly). But "Astro Warrior Anthem" , "Kingdom of Steel", "Burning Heart" , "Killer Queen" and "Pixel Prison" were all songs I enjoyed.

As for "Space Marine Corp", catchy as fuck chorus wasted on a horrendous song otherwise, a pity. The cover song also sucks (but I've never cared for their cover versions anyway)

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 3:42 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
I liked this album.

:oh shit:

Certainly one of the albums of the year.

Lost touch with this band, didn't care much for their post-ZP albums. Checked this out upon friend's request and found it gobsmackingly stupid. Read my man Empyreal's review and nodded in agreement at this part;

Quote:
They do the obligatory joke cover at the end. “Look, we covered a Taylor Swift song! But we’re a fast, intense metal act! How quirky!” Just so dumb. Horrifying to think of the derangement you’d need to find this charming in 2024.
Did you need a protection amulet?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 6:06 pm 

I had fun with that review. So sad what happened to the second metal band I ever heard.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 6:28 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Quote:
They do the obligatory joke cover at the end. “Look, we covered a Taylor Swift song! But we’re a fast, intense metal act! How quirky!” Just so dumb. Horrifying to think of the derangement you’d need to find this charming in 2024.

I have hard timing believing they do these covers as jokes. Well, don't know about the Taylor Swift one, but the Celine Dion cover on Extreme Power Metal made a lot of sense and is a track I genuinely enjoy. I often dislike metal covers or more popular songs because they tend to be cynical and often end up sounding like parodies of these songs. And while there's a lot of pop I can't stand, I don't find much enjoyment in metal parodies of these songs. DF's cover of the Celine Dion song felt like the guys genuinely enjoyed the original track and wanted to make it into a DF song. For years, prior to the band releasing that Celine Dion cover, I have said that her lyrics and the energy she has on some songs would be right up DF's alley for a cover, and they proved me right with My Heart Will Go On.

Can't say I enjoy the Taylor Swift cover though. But I don't really enjoy WSW altogether. I find it to be too much of a mixed bag, while I really enjoyed EPM through and through.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 1:22 pm 

I think the (very strong) argument here is that most metal bands cover pop hits as a gimmick. It's not a very interesting one especially after its over-use and makes you wonder who they imagine is genuinely interested in hearing that shit.
Did you need a protection amulet?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 1:42 pm 

It just doesn't seem like it's a choice made for genuine artistic reasons so much as it is a silly gag - I just don't find it funny or charming even a little... don't know or care if they genuinely like the songs. To me it just seems so stupid and vapid of a thing to do. That wasn't really my main issue with the album, but it's a symptom of what's really wrong with all of it.

UroboricNate
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 8:20 pm 

So far every song I’ve heard from this album, about 5 or 6 tracks, is pretty fuckin bad

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2