Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
7stringbuttplug
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:15 pm 

SanPeron wrote:
I don't know what happened to Chris's voice, the first four Cannibal Corpse albums are probably the most influential pieces of music that death metal has created, both commercially and musically, if you hear today's slam and brutal death metal is hard to not look back at those records. Those albums marked with blood the fundaments of death metal.

Yeah, we all know SFU is bad, but CC never released albums of the same influence and brutality as those first 4 albums. And I like Corpsegrinder, George Fisher is an awesome death metal singer, there is no doubt about that. But something in those four albums was dark, disturbing, and real, they were less gimmicky than modern CC is.

It baffles me that SFU has never tried to make an album that sounds like those first 4 CC albums. They claimed they were with Maximum Violence but it's totally different and I think Barnes hinted at it with Torment but again nothing like it. That said this recent obsession hardcore kids have with "Caveman Riff Death Metal" Barnes really fucked up by making the whole metal community hate him. SFU would be ultra popular these days if he took better care of his voice and if it wasn't for questionable behavior that is well documented.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:15 am 

I've been going through SFU's back catalogue the last couple days to see if its as bad as people make it out to be, and its really not. I think a lot of the disappointment comes from the fact that this band has had several legends and talented death metal musicians over the years and they have always stuck to playing relatively simple death metal or deathnroll music, never really branching out to something more complex or refined, which does seem like a waste of talent. The 3 albums which I think are objectively their best - Undead Unborn and Crypt of the devil had some great musician's on them but unfortunately they haven't stuck with that style, reverting back to a simpler style, again.

I'm listening to NOTD and musically it isn't a bad album, it's pretty much those stupid squeeling EEEEEEEEE things that he does that ruins some parts. Musically it's not bad all, the riffs and drumming are tight, even some sweet harmonies at points. I don't think it deserves the sub 50% scores that people on here give it, I think a lot of people like to jump on bandwagons and parrot each other's views, not really giving it an objective listen. It's not that bad, and neither is this new song. It's a bit flat but not horrible.

markhebb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:28 am 

Gunslinger21 wrote:
I've been going through SFU's back catalogue the last couple days to see if its as bad as people make it out to be, and its really not. I think a lot of the disappointment comes from the fact that this band has had several legends and talented death metal musicians over the years and they have always stuck to playing relatively simple death metal or deathnroll music, never really branching out to something more complex or refined, which does seem like a waste of talent. The 3 albums which I think are objectively their best - Undead Unborn and Crypt of the devil had some great musician's on them but unfortunately they haven't stuck with that style, reverting back to a simpler style, again.

I'm listening to NOTD and musically it isn't a bad album, it's pretty much those stupid squeeling EEEEEEEEE things that he does that ruins some parts. Musically it's not bad all, the riffs and drumming are tight, even some sweet harmonies at points. I don't think it deserves the sub 50% scores that people on here give it, I think a lot of people like to jump on bandwagons and parrot each other's views, not really giving it an objective listen. It's not that bad, and neither is this new song. It's a bit flat but not horrible.

Agree with this- and I’d add the first few ‘Obituary light’ albums as well as among their best.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:57 am 

Yeah man those weren't bad at all to be honest, it helps that they shared band members.

I'd like to see SFU go in another direction and try some longer songs, more technical riffs and have acoustic breaks, try a concept album or something. Break the mould a bit.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:50 am 

I binged Six Feet Under’s discography last year and found it to be more of a mixed bag than straight crap all the way through. Granted half of it is outright crap while Undead and Death Rituals were the pleasant surprises for me.

7stringbuttplug
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:31 pm 

I really like Maximum Violence, 13, Commandment and Death Rituals which are probably their most death n' roll albums. Sure they're super uncreative but I feel those offer a sound I don't get from most Death Metal bands and they're great background music. Only albums I find genuinely bad are Bringer of Blood and Nightmares of the Decomposed. Bringer has an unlistenable mix where Barnes takes up the whole mix and does overly voicey vocals and Nightamares is self explanatory.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:05 pm 

Steve Swanson was teasing new stuff a few months ago. I thought he was their best guitarist.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:30 am 

KrigareTjovane wrote:
Yeah that Amerika the Brutal song fucking blows, y'all got shit taste lol.

Zerberus wrote:
I swear SFU fans have the weirdest taste in death metal, the songs they choose to highlight are easily some of the worst that SFU have to offer

I'm well aware of satire not being that easy to get online, but c'mon, I'm kinda insulted the automatic assumption was I actually liked that song :aww: :lol:

It encapsulates this trash band though. A few decent albums here and there notwithstanding, it's been an [irony]impressive[/irony] run of utter shithousery.

7stringbuttplug
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:32 pm 

Just clicked that the Hair of the Dog cover is going to be grade A funny. Something about Barnes growling "SON OF A BITCH" is playing over and over in my head.

goetia_unreleased
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:55 pm 

7stringbuttplug wrote:
Just clicked that the Hair of the Dog cover is going to be grade A funny. Something about Barnes growling "SON OF A BITCH" is playing over and over in my head.

A son of a bitch 3rd generation
Schooled in the art of human strangulation
Only one thing will control my pain
That's to drink the blood of the insane

sinxyt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:02 am 

SanPeron wrote:
Come on guys, if you didn't bang your head to this classic you probably hate death metal. Groovy and slow is the way this thing should be made.

pretty good riff but the vocals still kill me even at the seed of filth era

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRgmjl5358A
Ascension
Better than NNI. This album could be a big guilty pleasure for me.

goetia_unreleased
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:20 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Better than NNI.

Agreed. Sounds much more inspired both musically and vocally.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:27 am 

Musically, that track was pretty good. Vocally, though? Jesus that was awful.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 12:52 pm 

You guys pumped for SFU Day tomorrow??!!
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 1:06 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
How is it possible that Corpsegrinder (or really insert any old school death metal band that's still around. Ross Dolan perhaps?) managed to maintain his voice over the decades...but Chris Barnes' voice has degraded to an almost absurd degree?

It can't just be the weed...ain't no way

It CAN be just the weed, it is impossible for someone who smokes on a daily basis for so many years (I understand this is the case with Chris Barnes) not to have his brain and throat totally affected by it.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 1:19 pm 

Listened to most of it on youtube... Ill probably listen to it for a month, then eventually forget about it. His vocal patterns dont match the music, yet he didnt write 90% of the lyrics.

linkavitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 2:39 pm 

It leaked and curiosity got the better of me so here's a few spoilers/observations if anyone just can't wait for whatever reason

Spoiler: show
-It's way better than the last album but still not good, like going from worst death metal album ever to worst death metal album of the year improvement.
-There are no EEEEEs so instead of being so bad its funny its just bad bad
-Barnes is exclusively in a low register
-He isn't in time with the music like he cant keep up with it even though it's not going that fast
-Musically it's competent but bland dumb-dumb caveman metal but there are a few nice riffs
-The bass sounds cool on Spoils of War
-Well produced
-The cover is one of his worst covers ever, and with no EEEEs he doesn't even go son of a bEEEEEETCH for a laugh

The_Carcass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 9:58 pm 

Shittiest death metal album of 2024?

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 11:20 pm 

Red_Death wrote:

Spoiler: show

What 12 year old made that GAWDAWFUL video?? :eek:

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 1:39 am 

linkavitch wrote:
-There are no EEEEEs so instead of being so bad its funny its just bad bad

Thanks for the info, so I'm definitely out because that was the best part of the whole mess.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

SlipKnoT_SOAD
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 10:48 am 

pretty decent album.

less EEEEEE, more death metal

the cover is shit, but i can forgive :)

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:40 am 

I'm just shocked at how awful those vocals are.

The_Carcass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 5:20 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
I'm just shocked at how awful those vocals are.

Absolutely irredeemable

Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 5:49 pm 

The vocals are truly their biggest weakness, it's still shocking that they think this sounds acceptable.

I can get into the music, it's not anything revolutionary, but I can get into some groovy caveman-style primitive death metal, but then Barnes' 10 packs a day voice just shits all over it.

eViLbOrIs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 7:29 pm 

Listened to 3-4 songs.
The riffs and solos are fun, guitar production is dry but okay. The drums are boring at best, and sound utterly impotent. The worst thing about the vocals is the production, they sound horribly clipped and fuzzily distorted. Dumb lyrics.

I was entertained, even compelled to bob my head and air guitar along while on a walk. It’s not significant in anyway, but it’s not nearly as bad as most claim.

Other than being a below average vocalist who writes dumb lyrics, has Chris Barnes ever done or said anything extra-musical that has caused folks to hate on him so much?
Good trades with: Satan_Laughs (x2), thrashbeast, jthompson (x2), Groanofthewind, Mantis44 (x2), Decry, Igor, Kelibat, Madcow, Vakshay, Mespheber, Lord_Domitian, orionmetalhead, J, mightypeniz, Jacobo123 etc...

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 1:15 pm 

Yeah, not enjoying this one as much as Nightmares. Vocals don't bother me as much as everyone else. The absence of Eeees is a plus. But overall comes across as a low effort affair. Too many simplistic silly songs or slow paced repetitive dull ones. Had they dropped those they would have had a strong 8 song album.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 4:54 pm 

I couldn't past the third song, Chris voice is just terrible man. I don't know what happened to him, first four Cannibal Corpse albums are my favorites of the genre, I don't know how the same guy can write such terrible music. Jack Owen (original CC guitar player for almost 15 years!) plays guitar in this album and the riffs are also terrible, is like if SFU downgrades every competent band member that they have.

Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 2:43 pm 

SanPeron wrote:
Jack Owen (original CC guitar player for almost 15 years!) plays guitar in this album and the riffs are also terrible, is like if SFU downgrades every competent band member that they have.

This checks out. The band has members with highly technical backgrounds and, while technicality doesn't equate to quality, of course, it's amazing how unremarkable they sound in this band.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 6:50 pm 

Vocals sound better to my ears, could maybe pass for a half decent tribute band growler. Music is pretty solid, arguably the best I've heard out of them since Undead, pity the drum production is really thin. If they cleaned up the production a little it would be a solid entry from a band whose good albums I can count on one hand.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3