Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
French Toast
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:00 am 

ThrashingTheRedemer wrote:
He's also a survivor, capable of delivering the goods every once in a while...

Oh no please don't let Dave sing "Delivering the Goods." :ugh:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:06 am 

ThrashingTheRedemer wrote:
I for one hope they keep going. For all the easy ragging going on around here, to my ears there've been enough flashes of quality (chunks of The System Has Failed, United Abominations and Endgame spring to mind) to reassure me that there's life in The 'Deth yet. Yeah Dave is a douche, get over it. He's also a survivor, capable of delivering the goods every once in a while...

Oh, well I didn't realize 'capable of delivering the goods every once in a while' were standards we all had to wait with bated breath for.

metalistkrieg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:09 am 

They lost me after Youthanasia. I couldn't care less if they broke up for good. Same thing goes for Metallica & Slayer. Three bands that are running on fumes. It's time to hang it up fellas. No one likes you boring cunts anymore.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:36 pm 

Mustaine should've called it a day after Endgame as it was a super solid record and ultimate climax of Megadeth for me.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

metalistkrieg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:52 pm 

You're right, Endgame is solid. United Abominations has a couple of good songs but most of their material post Youthanasia has sucked massive donkey kak.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:02 pm 

doomster999 wrote:
Mustaine should've called it a day after Endgame as it was a super solid record and ultimate climax of Megadeth for me.

You are absolutely right. Had they gone out then, it would have been with a huge bang. I even make the allowance that 13 was them wanting to get out of their Roadrunner contract (hence the video game tracks and rerecorded songs being tossed in) but Super Collider is such a steaming pile of crap, on the same level as St Anger. The songs are so mind-numbingly basic and pedestrian that they couldn't have taken Mustaine more than 5 minutes to put together. This was the same guy venerated as a guitar god by fans, critics and peers alike! Linkin Park and Papa Roach are more quality than fucking Super Collider.

Hope Chris Broderick's solo project kills though.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:09 pm 

Dave Mustaine and Dave Ellefson Recruit Peter Criss and Ace Frehley to form Kiss of Deth!:

http://overthetopmetalnews.wordpress.co ... s-of-deth/

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:38 pm 

From the site:

About These Assholes
We like to get stoned and make this shit up. NONE OF THE STORIES ON THIS SITE ARE REAL NEWS! We fucking made it all up. Grow a set and shut your piehole.

To be totally frigging fair with myself and to you guys, for a second I actually believed it, because Kiss is a thing and Super Collider is a thing.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:41 pm 

henkkjelle, you old party pooper... :grumble:

are you gonna tell me this won't happen either??? http://overthetopmetalnews.wordpress.co ... ming-tour/ cos I already got front row tickets!

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:36 am 

somefella wrote:
Technically Mustaine's first name IS David, to add to the confusion.

Best thing to do is wrap up the band if you ask me but that's probably not gonna happen. Chris Poland is actually playing in a project with Nick Menza. It might be them but I also doubt it. I wasn't that surprised from Broderick moving on. His playing is on the level of bands like Conquering Dystopia's Keith Merrow and Jeff Loomis, Cannibal's Pat O'Brien or anyone at the top of the metal heap. Imagine as a musician, your greatest accomplishments are playing versions of 20 year old songs and everytime you hit the studio it's to record horrible new songs like those on Super Collider and you don't even write any of it. No, you just record the horrible songs' rhythm tracks and maybe are given 25 seconds for a solo that has to be a certain way anyway, if not your boss will ask you to redo it.

Why would anyone assume Broderick can write better songs than Mustaine? I've seen no evidence of that. I can't imagine him writing a better album on his own or being in a band that pays better.

BTW, I doubt he played any rhythms.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:45 am 

Getting Lombardo to join (assuming they can work out the financial details to both's satisfaction) would be a huge boost for both parties.

Getting someone like Loomis or Jarzombek on leads would be pretty great. To be honest, with all the "shredders" out there who really can play great memorable leads besides guys who've already played in Megadeth? James Murphy? Skolnick? The new breed sounds pretty bland. Maybe some young guy like Emil Werstler would be great.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:33 am 

Loomis is another boring shredder. He wouldn't be an improvement on Broderick.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:03 am 

Jarzombek would probably blow his brains out if he were in Megadeth. Not to mention, he hates the term 'shredder'. He's got far better projects to make use of his guitar playing in.

Some people on Facebook have been talking about Dave Lombardo and Jeff Waters considering joining Megadeth. I can't really say much for Jeff, but with Lombardo on drums, Megadeth might finally have some of its' fastest songs since the early days.

druivo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:37 am 

Is James Murphy (ex-Testament) still playing? Get Lombardo and make a Megadeth version of The Gatherin :lol:

Jeff Waters would be cool, but he´s kinda crazy himself, so i don´t think it would last.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:05 pm 

On one hand, who on earth actually wants Dave Lombardo to join Megadeth? Y'all realize it's not 1990 anymore and Dave is only gonna write fast and heavy songs if Metallica does first, and their drummer has pretty much always been their least influential position anyway. At least the soloing style changes with the guitarist, but it doesn't matter if Gene Hoglan or Phil Rudd is drumming for Megadeth, that's not gonna make a difference. And surely Lombardo has heard what Megadeth has been up to and would never want to be involved with such terrible music.

ON THE OTHER HAND, the entire reason he left Slayer was because of money and I'm sure he'd make more money in Megadeth, so yeah I could totally see him joining.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Exigence

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:09 pm 

I for one can't wait until we got a song about his dead mother in law..

"LOST!! INSANE!! NEVER TO BE FOUND AGAIN!!!"

-shred-

(dave voice) "MOTHER....ARE YOU THERE!?!?"

-solo-

Yeah, it wouldn't be that cool.

invitus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:38 pm 

BastardHead wrote:

Metallica promised something along the lines of Death Magnetic next, so writing something faster may happen.

:)

DennisDemoniarch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:20 pm 

Four Daves, they need to be the four Daves of the Davapocalypse!
Also shortly after they can change the band name to Megadave, thus ending the only remaining element from popular mainstream acceptance (the word death, so hideous and unappealing to the safe trendy PC masses)

Credits could thus aptly read after... Dave - Everything!

...and of they were really smart every interview after would sound like listening to the Borg from Star Trek, as four Daves all talk in tune.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:19 pm 

I know Jeff Waters has refused offers to be in Megadeth before but he would certainly fit. He has a bit more feel and style than Broderick, is probably less technical but just as tight. Most of all, the world loses nothing if Waters stops working on Annihilator :)

He plays this less accurately to the original compared to Broderick but at least his feel for it is nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XadnzskkNRs

Funeral Frog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:27 pm 

At first, I didn't even consider Jeff Waters, but man, now would be the time for Megadeth to have him. It would give Megadeth a kick in the pants, it would definitely bolster Annihilator's presence in the metal world, and the new solos wouldn't suck as much. Of course, Jeff loves his Annihilator deal, but I always felt that he needed another big person's voice in his music. The chances are so so so so slim, but one can always hope!

Wintermute (black metal, death metal, dark ambient)
https://wintermuteband.bandcamp.com/album/wolven

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:44 pm 

If you think Waters can get along with Mustaine you are patently insane. 5150 up in here.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Exigence

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:49 pm 

Didn't Jeff Waters announce himself as the fastest shredder in the world as a way to promote another shitty Annihilator album.

The only Annihilator albums that are borderline listenable are the 80s ones and Joe Comeau's stuff.

Funeral Frog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:02 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
If you think Waters can get along with Mustaine you are patently insane. 5150 up in here.

Of course he couldn't. I think that's more on Dave, though, because Jeff has got to be one of the nicest people on earth.

Wintermute (black metal, death metal, dark ambient)
https://wintermuteband.bandcamp.com/album/wolven

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:50 am 

Exigence wrote:
Didn't Jeff Waters announce himself as the fastest shredder in the world as a way to promote another shitty Annihilator album.

No. He said he's the fastest at down-picking and he's probably right.

And yes, those recent albums are horrible.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:59 am 

Funeral Frog wrote:
Of course he couldn't. I think that's more on Dave, though, because Jeff has got to be one of the nicest people on earth.

I'm comparing egos, of course. Jeff is a cool dude, but is he easy to work with? Take a look at Annihilator's lineup tab.

And the last two Annie albums weren't too bad. I actually liked Feast quite a bit...
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

sparklewhooves1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:01 am 

Are you fucking shitting me? This was the first genuinely good lineup that the band has had since the 90s. They probably left because of Dave Mustaines huge fucking ego.

Ian “Lemmy” Kilmister of Motorhead - 2006

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:30 am 

Hardly a loss with either of them. Neither brought anything that couldn't be done by a lot of other musicians, and likely better on both accounts. Didn't contribute much in the way of songwriting and what they did was hardly spectacular. I'll give Chris some credit for taking on the role of backing vocals live and being probably the most animated bandmember on stage - a role Junior used to prominently have.

They need to reach out and find a couple of younger unknowns with enough talent and energy to challenge Mustaine to write something consistently inspired again, thrash or not. A kid like Eloy Casagrande could do so much more here than he ever will in Sepultura, for example.

Ultimately, it comes down to Dave deciding, "Fuck it, it'll never be the early '90s again" and realizing Megadeth will never come close to approaching that status with today's younger fans and trends.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:06 pm 

I don't know how much this matters in the long run. I saw this line up live. They were technically solid but really kind of unspectacular. Shawn Drover was a rather boring drummer. It'd be cool if they got Lombardo, but this seems like a pipe dream to me. Mustaine tends to hire unknowns (Nick Menza, Shawn Drover, Jeff Young, etc) or jobbing musicians (like Al Pitrelli and Jimmy DeGrasso). Lombardo has a name and even when he's jobbing, it's a still a big deal that "Dave Lombardo" is involved. Lombardo seems to up taking orders when the music is different and challenging (Fantomas, his work with John Zorn) but that isn't going to be the case with Megadeth. Lombardo might want more money than Mustaine is willing to pay and I feel like an ego clash would be inevitable. Then again, Lombardo was able to work with Kerry King for a long time so maybe he'd be all in if the financials were there.

In the end, though, everything comes down to Dave Mustaine's songwriting. The other guys barely contribute. I get the impression that Mustaine thinks that he still has a chance to make Megadeth a really huge rock band (instead of just a big name metal band) with a big audience and he tries to write to that fantasy but hard rock Megadeth is bland and I don't think Dave has it in him to write a metal album that would be in the same league as "Peace Sells" or "Rust In Peace".

invitus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:23 am 

TadGhostal wrote:
and I don't think Dave has it in him to write a metal album that would be in the same league as "Peace Sells" or "Rust In Peace".

Fuck that. Let him write an album half the quality of those and I'll be more than happy for Megadeath.

French Toast
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:38 am 

invitus wrote:
TadGhostal wrote:
and I don't think Dave has it in him to write a metal album that would be in the same league as "Peace Sells" or "Rust In Peace".

Fuck that. Let him write an album half the quality of those and I'll be more than happy for Megadeath.

Hell if Dave could even make something as well put together as Youthanasia that'd be a step up.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:36 pm 

Endgame WAS an album, just saying.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

invitus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:16 pm 

But that's two albums ago. Why didn't he understand he got something right and repeat.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:23 pm 

Such a bewilderingly overrated album to me. It's absolutely and entirely interchangeable with everything else going back to United Abominations, maybe even The System Has Failed. Same production, songwriting, arrangements, sequencing, performances... you could practically assemble any 10-12 songs from that era and come up with an album that's no better or worse, but just as faceless and indistinguishable. What compounds it is how many times it seems like I've heard so many of those riffs before and used better. Sure, they're "more metal" than, say, Youthanasia through The World Needs a Hero, but at least each of them in that group has a distinctive identity.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Exigence

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:03 pm 

Super Collider was the first MD album I heard where I thought "wow, this is terrible". I can find enjoyable moments everywhere else.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:13 pm 

So I guess I'm the only one who actually really likes 13. Like, I enjoy it more than I do Endgame.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:47 pm 

thrashinbatman wrote:
So I guess I'm the only one who actually really likes 13. Like, I enjoy it more than I do Endgame.

I really liked it, too, but I also enjoyed Cryptic Writings and Risk...

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:32 pm 

thrashinbatman wrote:

I actually like Thirteen quite a bit myself though I may still like Endgame a little bit more. I also think Risk was better than Super Collider; at least that one tried to be a little creative.

FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:08 am 

Megadeth has sucked since Countdown. Dave seems to me like a personality who unfortunately is at his best when he's at his worst and JR to a lesser degree. After Rust, Dave began his quest for sobriety while emulating all of Metallica's drives into the mainstream. While I don't personally believe you can repeat history again, I'd be curious to seem Dave re-recruit Chuck and Jeff. I loved SFSGSW, it was Megadeth at their sloppiest and off-the-rails best. I liked Marty and Nick too, but they helped put out some of Megadeth's watered down drivel post RIP. I'm not a big proponent of all these Supergroup recruitment suggestions either. It would make them into a novelty.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:29 am 

A Marty Friedman return would be fantastic but I'm sure that page has turned. Whoever they get if they 'reform' / 're-align' should return to heavier, thrashier stuff of old and not the accessible, commercial-esque music of recent years. Holy Wars-type material would be welcome.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:55 am 

I've been thinking Alex Skolnick could theoretically be a good candidate, if he went the Gary Holt route.

Last FM

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next