Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ApochWeiss
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:11 am 

http://www.apochs.net/Editorial/Abigail ... oming.html

I was about to go to sleep when my inbox informed me that Candlelight Records sent me a promo. It went out November 28th at 10:58am EST according to the timestamp. So, I look, and here it's Becoming from Abigail Williams. I admit I was into their last album and the progress they made from their "Blackcore" days or whatever you wanna call that nightmare, and, well...Just, go read it. I sum up the first four songs in the article (there's six total). They changed again, and QUITE dramatically. I dunno if this will make some of the naysayers kinda jump on board with the band more, or if it'll make them bash the group even more.

I don't know about you guys but clearly I didn't like it. I don't know if it's been leaked already or not, but, I do list my reasons there. I'm curious to know what you guys think about this change? Anyone else kinda interested in it that may not have been a fan in the past?

syx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:42 am 

Not a fan but the review sounds interesting and has piqued my interest, may have a listen. Heard their first full length and thought it was ok, nothing too special but seems a drastic change for the band.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:54 am 

Honestly having heard the recording of Ascension Sickness, and another song form the album played live when I saw them on the Mayhem tour I was somewhat surprised to hear yet another change in style. The first full length was alright, and the last was pretty good black metal. This however feels like an attempt at bands like Wolves in the Throne Room (not as much Lantlos as stated in your article). More atmospheric, clean guitars, long songs etc.... It just looks like they can't find a niche. If they settle down and work on a sound of their own, they'll release great things. I have no doubts on the talent of the band. From what I've heard of Becoming, it'll be a good album, just unoriginal.

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:00 am 

god damnit can't they just go back to doing dumb cool metalcore songs like the old days

Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/noktorn01

Lepernicus wrote:
Every record that dipshit sold took away money that could have went to a far more deserving band such as Immolation.

ApochWeiss
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:12 am 

Wolves in the Thone Room is definitely a better comparison, but when I said Lantlos I was going more for the depressive and emotional kind of musical standpoint in Black Metal. At least, that's what I interpreted from what the band was trying to do. I'm sure others will find other ways to explain it or understand what the band is doing. And it's not that they can't find a niche, it just kinda seems like they're a bandwagon group. They did the whole "-core" thing I'd assume cause of Winds of Plague, then the Symphonic thing probably due to Dimmu's increased popularity, and now with the underground raw movement becoming bigger it comes as no shock they switched up again.

Also, for the record, it's not an actual review. It's a First Impression article which is just me talking about the album, sort of like a preview but a more personal opinion instead of me being all critical. There's supposed to be a note there but I deleted it off the template for some reason and just never put it back haha. Just lazy.

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:58 am 

That's cute. Kenny wants to be one of those* black metal bands now.

*Long track lengths, fewer songs.
Death metal is eternal.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:54 am 

Is a Conqueror/Revenge-styled album next?

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:56 pm 

has the drummer learned to use tricks other than constant groove-less double bass yet?
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

ApochWeiss
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:31 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
has the drummer learned to use tricks other than constant groove-less double bass yet?

The drumming is no better, but that's largely because of the friggin' slow pace outside of the one song of the four I heard.

Emanon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:12 pm 

I've never really listened to them, but I saw them playing some newer stuff when they opened for Mayhem. It struck me as sort of a poor man's Wolves in the Throne Room (the frontman was wearing a WitTR t-shirt in fact). Atmospheric and pretty mellow as black metal goes, and it might make a decent enough album to listen to, but them going on just after Woe, they half put me to sleep.
Darkness, like a cloak of saffron velvet, surrounds him. Stark trees of stone support the moon and stop the sky from falling in around him. He stands upon his mountain throne, his arms held high, he’s all-alone, ashen face turned towards the sky.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:31 pm 

I've got a beef with this band anyway. I saw them open for Vader and Immolation about a year ago, and up to that point I'd only known them as "that other symphonic deathcore" band along with Winds of Plague, and didn't expect much else. They came out with just four dudes, no keys, and just played straight black metal the whole time. This isn't why I dislike them, as I was shocked that they'd shifted to such a traditional style after previously being one of only two bands to play a certain style that I knew of, but bands with shitty attitudes piss me off. After a few songs and the crowd just not seeming very into it (granted they were opening for two undisputed legends of a completely different genre so what did you expect?) the non-vocals guitarist just got frustrated and walked off stage in the middle of a song. Afterwards the vocalist wandered off after him, came back a minute later and said "Guess we're finishing this set as a three piece then" before playing one last song and making their exeunt. I appreciate the vocalist being professional and keeping the show going, but what kind of whiny, entitled douche just walks off stage when they're having a bad show? Fuck that guy, I hope he gets kicked out and never has a shot at a successful band again. I remember when Rumpelstiltskin Grinder opened for Absu, nobody moved after their first song or two because their style was just so completely different and not what the majority of people were there to see. Did they get frustrated and give up? Fuck no, they kept interacting with the crowd, kept the energy flowing at a consistently intense level and eventually the crowd bought into it. Even if they hadn't, you can see that the band was there to put on a show and dammit they were going to whether they got an overwhelming response or not, and that's how it should be. Nobody got pouty and just walked off stage.

But yeah, Abigail Williams and all. I dunno, I wish they'd stuck with their original style, personally. I wasn't a fan of them really but at least it wasn't something we already have 20,000 bands playing. Now they're faceless in addition to not being very good.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:55 pm 

Yeah, I remember when the vocalist hurled insults at the crowd in Cleveland....it was hella weird. Seems like a douchey band all around. But as for the genre change, nothing new to see, which is a shame because I liked their first EP.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:09 pm 

RedMisanthrope wrote:
... one of those* black metal bands now.

nothing to say to Abigail W. as I never heard of song of them but I felt the urgent need to say how I hate this long track - fewer songs thing. What has become of the good ol' 3-5 minutes songs...

ok, sorry and bttt...

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:41 pm 

They seemed like pretty courteous when I saw them opening for some band of a totally different style, Nile maybe? They'd had delays and the singer was pretty thankful for the audiences patience and whatnot, and didn't seem upset that the crowd didn't interact with them at all. Their music is pretty boring though.

ApochWeiss
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:31 pm 

grauer_mausling wrote:
RedMisanthrope wrote:
... one of those* black metal bands now.

nothing to say to Abigail W. as I never heard of song of them but I felt the urgent need to say how I hate this long track - fewer songs thing. What has become of the good ol' 3-5 minutes songs...

ok, sorry and bttt...

I miss those days too. I mean, I don't mind it when it's done well, but it's definitely not this band's forte.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:32 pm 

I seem to be one of the few people who enjoys everything they've done so far,though their last album was a step down in my opinion. Will approach this one with caution though,as the world really does not need another one of "those" black metal bands.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Reply to topic