Recorded from January to March at DEP International / Abattoir Studios, Birmingham, 1998.
Produced by Cradle of Filth and Jan Peter Genkel.
This is a concept album based on the legend of the Hungarian "blood countess" Elizabeth Báthory (Báthory Erzsébet in Hungarian).
Also released on 12"-vinyl, omitting the song "Lustmord and Wargasm (The Lick of Carnivorous Winds)".
The limited Celtic Cross edition didn't include the last two tracks, but contained the following bonus tracks instead:
9. Lustmord and Wargasm (The Relicking of Cadaverous Wounds) (07:58)
10. Black Metal [Venom cover] (03:27)
11. Hallowed Be Thy Name (Shallow Be My Grave) [Iron Maiden cover] (07:04)
12. Sodomy & Lust [Sodom cover] (04:47)
13. Twisting Further Nails [The Cruci-Fiction Mix] (05:32)
Re-released in 2001 by Koch Records
(CAT# KOC-CD-8292) as limited 2CD edition, where CD1 is normal 10-tracks version and Bonus CD has all tracks from Celtic Cross edition.
Japanese edition comes with the Iron Maiden cover "Hallowed Be Thy Name" as a bonus track in a different mix than any other album versions.
On the song "Bathory Aria", there is a guest appearance by Ingrid Pitt, who starred in the 1970 film "Countess Dracula" - a film based on E. Bathory, which is who the album is based upon.