Recorded at Regent Sound and Island Studios.
All songs by Osbourne, Iommi, Butler and Ward.
Released in the U.S. in January, 1971.
The album was originally supposed to be titled "War Pigs", and the cover art was designed with that title in mind, but the record company objected (presumably due to the Vietnam War), and so it was re-titled "Paranoid".
"Paranoid" was the last song composed and recorded for the album, at the behest of the producer, who thought they needed an extra track.
According to popular belief, the name for doom metal came from the song "Hand of Doom".
"Fairies Wear Boots" was inspired by a time when Ozzy and Geezer were hassled by skinheads, thus an insult to the boot-wearing "fairy" skinheads.
"Iron Man" is based on a fictional character thought up by Ozzy and Geezer, and not the Marvel comics hero of the same name.
On the North American edition of the album, the songs "War Pigs" and "Fairies Wear Boots" were entitled "War Pigs/Luke's Wall" and "Jack The Stripper/Fairies Wear Boots", respectively.
Paranoid was reissued as a 3-disc set by Sanctuary in April 2009. The reissue contains the following tracks:
1. War Pigs
3. Planet Caravan
4. Iron Man
5. Electric Funeral
6. Hand Of Doom
7. Rat Salad
8. Fairies Wear Boots
1. War Pigs (Instrumental and No Siren)
2. Paranoid (Alternative Lyrics)
3. Planet Caravan (Alternative Lyrics)
4. Iron Man (Instrumental)
5. Electric Funeral (Instrumental)
6. Hand Of Doom (Instrumental)
7. Rat Salad (Instrumental)
8. Fairies Wear Boots (Instrumental)
1. War Pigs (SACD Stereo)
2. Paranoid (SACD Stereo)
3. Planet Caravan (SACD Stereo)
4. Iron Man (SACD Stereo)
5. Electric Funeral (SACD Stereo)
6. Hand Of Doom (SACD Stereo)
7. Rat Salad (SACD Stereo)
8. Fairies Wear Boots (SACD Stereo)
9. War Pigs (Quadraphonic Mix)
10. Paranoid (Quadraphonic Mix)
11. Planet Caravan (Quadraphonic Mix)
12. Iron Man (Quadraphonic Mix)
13. Electric Funeral (Quadraphonic Mix)
14. Hand Of Doom (Quadraphonic Mix)
15. Rat Salad (Quadraphonic Mix)
16. Fairies Wear Boots (Quadraphonic Mix)
Re-released on Super Audio CD by Universal Music Japan
at August 31, 2010 with original UK LP track list and without any bonuses.
A "Classic Albums" documentary has been made for "Paranoid", chronicling its inception, recording process and legacy.