Recorded at Record Plant in Los Angeles.
The looped coughing that serves as the album intro, is Tony Iommi's.
The initial LP edition was released in a box-package with a foldout poster, which is replicated on the Castle remaster packaging.
The initial American pressing of the album divided up songs into different parts, though unlike on the past two albums, they were listed as separate songs instead of two parts of the same song. It was also mistakenly titled "Masters Of Reality". The altered tracklisting is as follows:
1. Sweet Leaf (5:02)
2. After Forever (Including The Elegy) (5:25) (The Elegy is possibly the interlude at 1:55)
3. Embryo (0:30)
4. Children Of The Grave (4:30)
5. The Haunting (0:45) (The ambient outro to Children Of The Grave)
6. Orchid (1:30)
7. Step Up (0:30) (The intro riff to Lord Of This World)
8. Lord Of This World (4:55)
9. Solitude (5:00)
10. Deathmask (3:08) (Simply the first half of Into The Void)
11. Into The Void (3:08)
Some older CD editions mistakenly index "Children Of The Grave" and "Embryo" on track 3 and the outro of "Children..." on track 4.
Re-released on Super Audio CD by Universal Music Japan
on July 26, 2011 with the original UK LP track list and without any bonuses.
Re-released by Universal in the Deluxe format with an additional cd:
1. Weevil Woman
2. Sweet Leaf (Demo)
3. After Forever (Instrumental)
4. Children Of The Grave (Alternate Lyrics)
5. Children Of The Grave (Instrumental)
6. Orchid (With Tony Iommi's Cough and Count In)
7. Lord Of This World (With Piano and Slide Guitar)
8. Solitude (Alternate Version Without Flute)
9. Spanish Sid (Early Version of "Into the Void")
"Sweet Leaf" is street slang for Marijuana.